A Question For Veterans Of Os

Guest Lunchbox

Guest Lunchbox

We have been on the phone several times with our vet about this, but all they can tell us is that OS can do some strange things to the patient. Moscow is about 2 months post diagnosis. The tumor site (left front above wrist) is about the size of a softball, literally. The part we are having a hard time with is what appears to be necrosis of the flesh that surrounds the tumor. We have been cleaning and dressing it three times a day but it will not stop bleeding and smells like, well, rotting flesh. I would post a picture of it but I fear I would get banned from this site because it is so gross. On top of that, his paw below the tumor site is swollen many times its normal size and a yellowish fluid is leaking through the skin. I can only guess that the tumor has grown to a size that it is cutting off the blood supply and causing everything at and below the tumor to rot away.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would have put Moscow to rest by now, but up until yesterday he has been eating and getting around on his own. He did not want to eat yesterday and would only get out of bed if we really motivated him to. And even then he would just turn around and go back to bed. I am confident that we will do this in the next day or so, but I still wanted to see if his smelly leg is normal.

Thanks.

A necrotic tumor will cause septicemia (ghastly painful blood infection) as well as unimaginable pain at the tumor site. I think you know that it's time to help your sweet boy.

My heart goes out to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I am sorry you and Moscow are going through this!

With Max, the tumor wasn't large or very visable, and there was no drainage.

This definitely could be an infection. Might be time to see the vet and at least see what he/she thinks, and what they can do about this. As Batmom stated, this CAN become systemic (all throughout the body), and that isn't good.

Best of luck to you!

grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest MyBoys

I am so sorry Moscow is having a rough time at this point, yes, I went through the same issue with my bridgeboy Pete and it is heartbreaking. As soon as that started and he would not get up I knew it was time. My thoughts are with you and Moscow, sending :bighug to you and Moscow.

Poor Moscow. My heart and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Sometimes tumors move out of our ability to control and work-around and we then need to send our beloved dogs to run free at the Bridge. Your vet will know if it is time or if you can stabilise and gain some more time. This is why I always say there is no blame in trying to keep them as long as we can and no blame either in letting then go early when a terminal disease is diagnosed. Amputation aims to prevent the dire problems you are currently facing but, sadly, it comes with no guarantees and a load of other issues. Don't for one moment think you have let your dog down. :yinyang

Guest Lunchbox

Thanks for that John. I've put a lot of thought into it, about letting Moscow down. In my eye's the amputation and chemo only delays the inevitable. Regardless of what I do for him, this disease will still take him someday (probably). I don't mean to bash anyone that chooses that route. I would stand behind any decision an owner made that came from the heart. But for me, making him comfortable in the time he had left felt better than the alternative. Again, I thank all of you for your thoughts a payers. I know I am a stranger to all of you and your heart-felt sentiment really does go a long way with me. Honestly, over the past few months when I would start to feel bad about Moscow, I would come here and see how many others have gone through, and are currently going through this same ordeal. It would always make me feel better knowing I was not alone. Misery loves company I guess.

Thinking of you and your pupper this morning and holding you both close in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Lunchbox

Just wondering how Moscow is doing today ??????

He's at home with his mom right now while I'm at work. I am going to pick him up at 3:00 to take him to the vet. My wife says he is having a hard time getting comfortable. We feed him a steak dinner last night and again for lunch today, he seemed to enjoy it.

I know I am a stranger to all of you and your heart-felt sentiment really does go a long way with me.

You are NOT a stranger. Far too many of us have walked this same walk. We know what you are going through.

Hugs and continued prayers for Moscow.

I am just seeing this now. I'm so sorry for you. Feel free to rant, cry, share as much as you want, whatever will help you get through this. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."