Tell Me About Prednisone And Greyhounds

Guest kerber

Guest kerber

My greyhound has LS and has been started on Prednisone and Gabapentin. We have also recently begun a routine of chondrotin tablets and Missing Link as supplements. Any concerns I should have? Alternatives?

Edited by kerber

The prednisone will make your grey pee a great deal more, so you might want to be aware of that.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

It also raises blood pressure. My Pearl was hypertensive to begin with so she really can't go on pred. But at that time we didn't have any alternative.

When her BP sored to close to 300 we had to take her off. Luckily, the original problem turned out to be misdiagnosed and it was an abscessed tooth instead. A round of antibiotics then later a dental fixed it.

Guest Paige12

Our boy Cha-Cha had LS and we had him on Pred and (famotidine for his stomach, which hopefully your vet has your grey on). we also had him on Tramadol 3Xs a day for the pain. The last few weeks we ended up decreasing his pred a little and increasing his tramadol because the pred made him anxious and panting. As time goes on if you start to get to where he is having trouble sleeping there is also Methocarbam which is a muscle relaxer and can help keep them calm. Dexamethasone is also a drug we tried and had some success with keeping the pain at a tolerable level for him. Unfortunately with the pred, we also noticed the increase in thirst and urination, but the good side effect was that it gave him and appetite which he had not had. We didn't notice an increase in BP but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Good luck with your grey, you can message me at anytime or email me. Beth

Brandi has been on pred since 2004 when she suddenly became paralyzed. Dosage at first was high and over the years we have been able to lower it. Your grey will pee more and want to eat more as in our case. Over time your pup will not pee as much. Be sure to have the kidney levels checked regularly (once a month or every 6 weeks depending on the weakness in her hind legs she gets acupuncture). Fortunately Brandi's levels have been normal but we think this has to do with the fact that she gets acupuncture on a regular basis. Brandi is now 20 mg per day. Maybe see about doing acupuncture.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest kerber

Our boy Cha-Cha had LS and we had him on Pred and (famotidine for his stomach, which hopefully your vet has your grey on).

What is famotidine and my dog is not on that.

Our boy Cha-Cha had LS and we had him on Pred and (famotidine for his stomach, which hopefully your vet has your grey on).

Famotidine is the generic of Pepcid. Ramotidine is the generic of Zantac. They both do the same thing, which is control acid production in the stomach. This is helpful for humans and dogs/cats who are on medicines like prednisone or antibiotics, which can be hard on the stomach.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest kerber

Famotidine is the generic of Pepcid. Ramotidine is the generic of Zantac. They both do the same thing, which is control acid production in the stomach. This is helpful for humans and dogs/cats who are on medicines like prednisone or antibiotics, which can be hard on the stomach.

Here's a silly question, but how would I know if it is hard on the stomach? Extra gas passing, not eating, vomiting?

Prednisone *is* hard on the stomach in general. Could check with your vet, but usually it's a good idea to use pepcid or similar when the dog is taking prednisone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Paige12

I second what Batmom says. If you google pred you will usually see suggestions that people or animals take famotidine, or something at the same time. I think it's just one side effect of the meds that is easily controlled.

• 5 months later...

update, 7 months later my doggie tapered off prednisone and gabapentin, went on Novax, and took a shot, now back on prednisone and gabapentin. I read somewhere there is a procedure someone did in Texas that included an injection near where the LS is situated. My vet and all the vets in the clinic have not done this injection before, but are willing to try. Makes me a bit nervous to offer up my dog as the first customer. Ideas on what I should do? Have any of you experienced this before - your dog being the first one to try something?

My Beau was on 60mg of pred for his IBD when initially diagnosed. No stomach upset. He peed every 3 hours round the clock (literally) and he ate like he was going to the electric chair the next day. He also ate every 3 hours. We lowered it over the course of 18 months. Long term effects so far have been major thinning of hair. But he is alive and happy. Pred is a double edged sword, no doubt.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Maybe your vets can find another vet with experience with the shot? Are you out in the boonies or near a metro area? I don't blame you for being nervous! I imagine you're talking about a depo medrol shot.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).