Dark Brown Pee

Guest vezzerina

Guest vezzerina

Hi,

My 5 year old female went on quite a hot and strenuous walk on the beach today. Now she seems to have blood in her pee. Is this because of stress or is this worse?

Has anyone had this?

Thanks.

She needs to go to the vet, now not later.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

We JUST had a dog on this board go through this a week ago. YES, PLEASE GO TO THE VET NOW!

This is a sign of heat stroke!!

Hope your baby is ok. Good Luck!

Guest DoofBert

Good thoughts to you...I'm hoping you are en route to your vet. My Tessa had a bout of this about 5 years ago......she was fine after some fluids and rest. It also jumped into a bladder infection, so she was on antibiotics.

Please let us know how things are going.

Bumping for an update. I sure hope everything is ok.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest vezzerina

Hi,

My 5 year old female went on quite a hot and strenuous walk on the beach today. Now she seems to have blood in her pee. Is this because of stress or is this worse?

Has anyone had this?

Thanks.

Update! Thanks to all of your wonderful advice, I rushed Lyca to the emergency vet. She has pancreatitis. They kept her overnight and she will have to be cared for for a few days, but hopefully we can transfer her to her regular vet today. As of this morning she is in stable condition so I have hope. I didn't sleep a wink though! My heart is aching so badly...

I think she has had this condition for a while. It explains her "bad behavior" of not eating sometimes. We thought she was testing us. Even our vet didn't see this. I hope we can take care of this once and for all. Poor baby, I wish she had had a way of telling us what was wrong. She is such a good girl.

I will post an update once I hear more.

I hope Lyca is feeling better today.

Loving licks from her sister from annuder mudder,

Wendy

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest vezzerina

I hope Lyca is feeling better today.

Loving licks from her sister from annuder mudder,

Wendy

Awww thanks, half sis!

Guest Energy11

Glad you went to the vets. As they probably told you, pancreatitus can be very very serious.

Sending love and hugs your way!

Pancreatitis is not really something you can take care of once and for all. From what I understand, if a dog suffers from it once, they can regress pretty easily and get it again. I'm assuming your vet is talking to you about the correct diet? No greasy treats...pigs ears, bully sticks, etc.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest vezzerina

Good news! Lyca is doing much better and if she can keep down the food the vet gave her this morning she can come home this afternoon!

Looks like this was another case of overexertion. The vet said more and more retired greyhounds are showing signs of muscle degeneration if they run hard for fun without warm up or with additional stresses like heat. Thank you to whomever posted another reminder about heat exhaustion. Hopefully we won't be seeing more cases like this on the forum.

That being said the vet isn't ruling out pancreatitis so I may have to switch to a low fat food or perhaps just low fat treats (any suggestions?).

I am just happy to get my baby home. 2 nights is too long. I miss her so much.

Thank goodness! Really hope she is home today and has no recurrence!

IIRC Solid Gold has some relatively low-fat foods. For treats, you could try pieces of low-fat kibble, slices of apple, baby carrots, homemade baked potato chips (slice thin and bake without fat; @ 10-20 minutes at 350) .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Lovemyhound

what are you feeding now?

I really like the fish protein foods - I feed Verus Menhaden Fish and Potato. There are other fish varieties tho.. admittedly so tho I have no experience with a pup with pancreatitis.

Good Luck with bringing your pup home - and best of luck with her continuing recovery!! :)

Guest Energy11

Good news! Lyca is doing much better and if she can keep down the food the vet gave her this morning she can come home this afternoon!

Looks like this was another case of overexertion. The vet said more and more retired greyhounds are showing signs of muscle degeneration if they run hard for fun without warm up or with additional stresses like heat. Thank you to whomever posted another reminder about heat exhaustion. Hopefully we won't be seeing more cases like this on the forum.

That being said the vet isn't ruling out pancreatitis so I may have to switch to a low fat food or perhaps just low fat treats (any suggestions?).

I am just happy to get my baby home. 2 nights is too long. I miss her so much.

I was the one who posted the info. on the heat related emergencies :-)

I have a friend whose dog was diagnosed with Pancreatitis, and I suggested Canidae Platinum. It is a high quality lite dog food, that might work. They also have it in canned. You can get it through Pet Food Direct online, or many of the local feed stores carry it, or could order it.

Glad your baby is feeling better, and yes, we have to watch them in this heat!

Hey Lyca! I'm yur haf-brudder! We hav da same dad. Anyhoo, when I needed low-fat food my mom gave me Wellness Core Low-Fat. It duzn't hav any grain either. Hope dis helps. An hope u feel bedder soon! kiss1.gif

Luv,

Shane

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).