Grey/blue Greyhounds

Guest leash

Some people claim blues are "the blondes of the greyhound world".

As far as not racing them there was an owner (who has since left the business) in North Texas who refused to run his blue dogs. He did however advertise a "rare blue female greyhound" in the Dallas Morning News one Christmas season for $1,200.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest leash

That's correct, blue is a dilute of black so it would be a rare color, but, not as rear as this.

You don't see many of these in the U.S. They are seen more in Ireland and England as Larkill Jo has been known to throw them.

WOW! That greyhound color is rare. Black with white spots. B) I can only amagine all the cobinations of greyhound colors. Every dog is one of a kind!

My Cash is a blue brindle, and I can atest to the fact that she is a princess who believes the entire world is there only for her convenience (except for the parts that scare her, and they are to be ignored or run away from!).

She is super smart and very stubborn - both traits that make her spookiness worse, IMO. If she wasn't so smart she wouldn't be scared by things, and then too stubborn to admit they aren't that scary! And now that she's (finally) settling down and becoming less spooky, I'm having a hard time disciplining her when she actually does something B-A-D. The word "no" does NOT exist for the Purple Princess! lol.giflol.gif

Also, she was a pretty good racer. And a brother from the same litter, also a blue, was as well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Blues aren't that uncommon in England probably down to the popular studs at the moment, there's currently 6 blues out of the 26 dogs for adoption in my local group. There are quite a few black or blue dogs with white flecks too but i've never seen a dog with as many as Lethal Goodfellow, i'd of thought Dun/liver would probably be a rarer coat colouring.

I don't think they were as favoured in racing years ago going by posts i've read on Greyhound Data but it doesn't seem to be an issue these days.

Guest PhillyPups

My Zeus washed out at the track - found out why at play group. While all the other dogs were running around, he would go from person to person and lean on them for scritches. :lol :lol

He was a unique personality. I miss him so - nothing standoffish, just extremely insecure. Stepper helped him with that. He was unique even for a blue, he had dark eyes, not amber, and the very underside of his tail was black.

My blue fawn, DonJuan was quite the racer until he retired due to an injury. He is a very smart boy. His breeder told me there was one rce where he got a bad break, and could not get around the pack - he got air, jumped over the dog in front of him, never touched him and went on to win the race. :rofl

To me it is not the color but the dog that is inside that matters.

Guest vulferius

Blues aren't that uncommon in England probably down to the popular studs at the moment, there's currently 6 blues out of the 26 dogs for adoption in my local group. There are quite a few black or blue dogs with white flecks too but i've never seen a dog with as many as Lethal Goodfellow, i'd of thought Dun/liver would probably be a rarer coat colouring.

Here's an example of a dun greyhound:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1048877

-Jeff

Guest barkdogs

I think the blue coat color is just genetically recessive. Black and red are dominant genes, so they are more predominant and make more blends together like brindle.

Or is that too literal? :colgate

That's correct, blue is a dilute of black so it would be a rare color, but, not as rear as this.

You don't see many of these in the U.S. They are seen more in Ireland and England as Larkill Jo has been known to throw them.

WOW!!!!!! COOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!

Guest littermates

racing greyhounds are bred for speed, color means nothing!!! a friend of mine has a blue and he's a show stopper!!!!!!!! Heads turn every time he's out for a walk.

I like blues and blue brindles, they also look lovely with white markings like my boys. I'm glad coat colour isn't a factor in the breeding process with racers and there's such a wide variety of colours/markings compared with lots of breeds.

Here's an example of a dun greyhound:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1048877

-Jeff

Some more

cheap & chic (white & dun), Glenivor & Glencrane

Edited by moofie

This is my blue, her name is Lady. Her gold card lists her as a plain blue, but she actually has faint fawn brindle highlights. She is a very striking looking dog, but she has just the sweetest personality.

Ladycrown.jpg

DSC06697-1.jpg

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest twilliams

My blue boy Goose is rather quirky and different than our other hounds. I have his littermate sis, Winnie, and they are incredibly different. He is so loving, affectionate and laid back but his personality can easily change. Goose keeps us on his toes, but we love him like crazy.

Guest Sweetreba

I think it is a superstitous thing with racing. My husbands family loved to go to the track and bet on the horses. They especially loved the trotters. I went a couple times and I loved the grey horses so of course I put my bets on them. They would all get on me and say "You never bet on a grey horse they always lose they are not good luck." Afterward I heard that from a few other people. So I think that might be why there are not as many. It may apply to the dog races also as far as the people who bet on them so that might be why there are fewer of them. Frankly I would take one in a heartbeat. They are beautiful. The first grey I saw that stole my heart was a blue grey belonging to someone. I immediately adopted my two after meeting him. They are a brindle and a white with black.

Guest leash

This is my blue, her name is Lady. Her gold card lists her as a plain blue, but she actually has faint fawn brindle highlights. She is a very striking looking dog, but she has just the sweetest personality.

Ladycrown.jpg

DSC06697-1.jpg

LWow she is a show stopper! I need to get some pictures up of Magnum the crazy boy! :colgate

Guest oldNELLIE

I have no idea if these things I have heard are true, but someone told me that blues were superstitiously considered bad luck and bad racers so they have been nearly bred out here in the US. BUT, someone else told me they are much more common overseas, and that the brindles are much rarer in places like England and Australia...Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

The reason I fell in love with greyhounds in the first place was because of a blue greyhound named Roxie that my friend Brian had when I lived in Atlanta many years ago. She was the best GH (other then my Maddie of Course!) and she was so well behaved and a princess.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Saw a gorgeous blue when I was down in FLA last Friday adopting my two new boys......He was still running - and they said he was VERY good. No superstition there!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest EaglesMom

I have been around a lot of blue dogs at the track in Birmingham, the females truly act like princesses and are treated as such. The males all seem just a bit different. Their personalities (regardless of sex)do seem different, however, they are sweet and beautiful, just like the black ones, the fawn ones, the brindle ones, the parti colors........

They are greyhounds, how can they NOT be amazing regardless of what color they are, right?

It's just a recessive gene color - so they're rare. Like a blue eyed blonde person in some areas. (My DH and DD are the only blue eyed really-blondes for miles around here).

Color has nothing to do with intelligence, attitude or speed. That wold be like saying all black dogs are mean. :huh:rolleyes:

Because of the rarity of their color - they're often coveted. You'll see in some groups that the blues are adopted by group presidents, or long-time members. Some groups are super-selective about who is allowed to adopt a blue - since they worry that people only want them for their color.

Guest mcsheltie

My blue girl Vanna is currently racing at Orlando. She is running grade A there, just as she did at Sarasota. She is an outgoing lover girl.

gallery_20385_2931_6775.jpg

I adopted Lira in mid-May straight off the track. We have gone to the Greyhounds Only training class for two weeks (yesterday was the second session) She already knows sit, down, come (which was harder than usual because I changed her name) touch and is almost reliable with leave it and watch (give her a couple more days and she'll have these down too) She learned to do my scary basement stairs in one day.

gallery_20385_3129_18787.jpg

Breeze is a blue fawn and is as smart as they come and is a "bonifide" diva.

gallery_20385_2991_34749.jpg

:wub: All three girls are smart, outgoing and beautiful :wub:

The reason you don't see many blues is because it is a recessive trait. Both parents either have to be blue or carry the recessive gene in order to produce a blue puppy. Blues can pop up as a surprise in a litter and you may have to go back several generations (in one pedigree I had to go back eight generations!) to find the blue ancestor. Many times the recessive gene for blue is bred out (by luck of the genetic draw) before it ever has a chance to express itself.

My true blue boy was a good racer and did not retire until almost 5 (please see CTW Bullheaded on GH-D for details if you wish). He's a little wacky in some ways and whip smart, I can assure you. Dunno that color has a thing to do with anything inherent about these guys, but I might agree that they are somewhat spoiled by virtue of being "rarish". I can also say that he is my most sweet and huggable of my bunch. If I was going to a meet and greet, he would be the one I would take. He loves everybody and is always up for fun.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest kydie

A friend of mine has a blue girl, and she is a stunner, I know she raced, and I think she is charming, a lover, she gave me my first greyhound kiss :kiss2 She has a sister, and of the two. the blue, seems more loving, abd laid back I just assumed it is the dog's personality, :dunno as a matter of fact my fawn boy is far more reserved, -_- and snotty that this blue girl