4 Am Wake Up To Pee

Guest Maddison

Guest Maddison

Maddison is now 11, she has always slept through the night but now that we have a cat who wakes up at 4 am she does. She starts to pace at 4 am and if we don't come down to let her out she will pee on a rug. She doesn't always wait for us to come down either but she keeps on pacing. She had been losing her urine if she slips on the floor for a while before we got the cat. The cat is on a diet so he is constantly hungry and meowing for food. We may try locking him up in another bedroom for a while and see if that helps. We did leave Maddie and the cat alone one day in the house for longer than an evening and she did not mess on the floor. I am at a loss as to what to do to get a good night's sleep.

you may need to lift water but I would hesitate to do that in this extreme heat. Put down some wee wee pads. Sleep? I haven't had a full night sleep in over 4 years! :rolleyes:

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Send her over... I'm usually up at that time to pee every night anyway :)

Seriously though, has she been looked at by your vet? Just to make sure there isn't something going on? When is her last turnout before bed? Early or Late: Does that make a difference to whether she has to go or not? Is it every night, including weekends?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest krystolla

How about a rowdy play session with the cat right before you go to bed? If the cat sleeps through the night then Maddison might too, and exercise will help with that diet. Feeding the kitty right before bed might help. I've learned you never want to feed a cat first thing in the morning, or your first thing in the morning will be happening REALLY EARLY.

Hack was waking up in the middle of the night wanting to piddle and run around outside. The cats woke him up one night because there was a skunk in the yard and he seemed to want to check if it was there to chase every night after. I started walking him around 8pm every evening (the only time it's cool enough!) and that seems to tire him out enough to sleep through the night -- or else he decided the skunk wasn't coming back.

Guest Maddison

I would gladly send her away with the way she is constantly wanting to be outside! She pushes past us to go lay outside in the grass. She goes potty at 9 or 10 pm right before we go to bed. I've even let her out at midnight on nights I stay up super late and it doesn't make a difference! She isn't drinking too much or more than usual. Her last vet visit was only a few weeks ago and she's healthy. The only thing that changed was the cat who wakes up at 4 am and as soon as he's up she is but she just doesn't try to hold her pee, she just does it on the rug. She refuses piddle pads, she only pees on rugs. She's always been that way. If there's an accident it's on a rug. Except for the skidding on floors and peeing thing, that's been about 4 months now where she pees when her back legs slip. I think her bladder's just not as strong as it used to be.

The cat doesn't play. I've tried to make him play and he just doesn't. I have my son run him around the house sometimes and that doesn't help his wake up time. He's just programmed to wake up at that time and with his diet he's always hungry! I am constantly being chased into the kitchen by him so that he can get fed and I don't feed him more than 2x a day. He's more of a beggar than the dog is!

Edited by Maddison

Guest Energy11

Yep... Send her over! We are up feeding at that time, believe it or not!

WE haven't had a full night's sleep since moving from Fla., and our doggie door, two years ago. We aren't comfortable having a doggie door here, with all the wild animals, etc., and Goldie is a MAJOR poop eater. eek.gif

Guest kydie

Poor Maddison, my bladder isn't what it used to be either :lol I'm with everyone else, I'm up any way, I have a pup that drinks a biiiiiiiig drink of water every night before, bed, Yep, up at 3:00 or 4:00 too, am I going to stop him from drinking, Nope!, for me it's alll part of the game, for me I'd rather get up than clean up Good Luck

Edited by kydie

Guest FreddyGirl

sometimes Bobbi 11 1/2, gets me up 3x/night. It could be a disorientation with time, doggy alzheimers? I don't know. Other nights, only once, on weekends too. I would also prefer to get up than clean up at 5:30AM when I get up for work.

It is what it is. she's older and needs to go more often.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Is a dog door an option?

I take Laika out on a leash when she needs to go out at night. This curbs her desire to wake us up every single night to sniff the air in the backyard.

Guest Heehoo

Pipi wakes me up about 1:30, Smiley is at 3:30 and then sometimes Gabby wakes me

up walking the floor around 5:30. Jack & Banker sleep all night, but if anyone gets up,

they do too.

I tell people that's why I go to bed so early.

I've even tried waiting until 10pm to let them out...doesn't work. I think Pipi has it in her

mind she needs to do a perimeter check. :)

Oh and I did put some puppy pee pads down & Banker uses them like a good boy. He's

13 and sometimes can't wait between the time the boys turn him out & I get home at 5pm

so they work really good.

Edited by Heehoo

Guest chaoran22

i'm sorry you're dealing with this - persistent potty problems are the worst. what we do when we have issues like this (because we also have rug pee-ers) is just roll up the rug after a good cleaning and put it away until the issue is resolved. Just don't give her the option of peeing on the rug - put down potty pads in place of where the rug used to be. good luck!

My dog door was the best investment ever. Had one for 10+ years with no incidents except neighbors thunderphobic dogs coming in during storms. I can just barely remember getting up to let dogs out and all my pups are well trained to sleep until noon. :lol

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Have you tried the washable pads? You can get them on Ebay really cheap. They don't crinkle when they walk on them. Cali had lots of troubles with holding her pee the last 3 years. I tried the disposable pads and she'd rip them up. But the cloth ones were not a problem and she'd pee on them without fail! I still use them if I'm going to be gone a long time, I have 4 seniors and they use them too if they have to do so.

Guest Paige12

Just a thought as I read everyone's postings, are you sure your cleaner is getting rid of all the urine? We use a product called Nil-Odor. We've used it for 2 decades and we have been really happy with it. When we are washing something in the washer, (as opposed to scrubbing the carpet or floor) we put several drops in the washer water to neutralize all the urine. I'm also sorry for what you are going through. Have you checked her for a bladder infection? Just a thought. Don't have cats so I'm no help on that angle.