Peeing

Guest Jubilee251

Guest Jubilee251

Does anyone else have hounds who get bored peeing in the same spot? Add in the heat which makes Molly just not want to be outside at all...and we have a situation where she just will not pee for our dogwalker, who comes at noon. We both work regular, full-time jobs and unfortunately, that means she has to wait until about 5:30 PM for her next potty.

Unfortunately, we're smack dab in the middle of the city - meaning there is very little green grass around us. For a while, Molly was peeing at the mulched base of some trees on our block, but for whatever reason, that's no longer a preferred spot for her. Because the dogwalker is limited in the amount of time they can spend with her, it's not really feasible to walk all the way to a grassy park, or walk her back and forth until she goes.

Tonight, I began trying to train her to go there - it took 45 minutes of going from tree to tree, back and forth at a snail's pace (she is a heat wimp), until she finally peed, and I rewarded her with a big cookie.

Any other ideas of how to get her to pee there continuously and consistently? Or are there chemicals that will make her want to pee in a certain spot? Help!

Try catching a sample of her pee. Take it with you on the next walk and sprinkle it in an area you'd like her to use.

Worth a try. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest oldNELLIE

We live in a pretty grassy place, but run into a similar problem with Nellie. We don't have a yard, so we have to leash walk and she has learned that if she doesn't go right away...we walk farther. Far enough to maybe even constitute a walk (which, by the way, is her FAVORITE thing :lol ) I had to take a hard line. We make the loop and if she doesn't go, she doesn't go. If she cries again to go out, even if it is only 5 min later (since she really did have to go the first time :rolleyes: ), we make the same loop.

She does get walked 2-3 times a day, so this is just the supposedly "quick out to pees".

I'm not sure if your girl is the same way as mine, but Echo hates peeing on a leash. She doesn't like to be followed around everywhere so it takes forever to get her to go.

If letting your girl off leash isn't an option, maybe try a retractable leash? I know how people are about flexi-leads, but I love mine for pee/poop walks. You can just stand and wait while they do their business.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Maybe she just doesn't have to go when the dog walker is there. Have you tried changing the dog walker's time to be a little later?

We noticed lately that with our Molly, my DH doesn't have to take her out for her potty break until sometimes 1:30 - 2:00pm (she goes out in the AM around 6:00am). She doesn't even get up when he tries to take her at the normal noon time. Luckily, since he's home at that time we have the ability to be flexible.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

I have two greys with very, very different potty styles. Grace will immediately go, and will go wherever (concrete included). Fenway has to find EXACTLY the right spot to go. EXACTLY. Enough to make you want to pull you hair out when you know he needs to do his business. Fortunately for my sanity, he's a boy so the urge to mark helps us out.

I have a dog walker that comes every day too, and she comes around 2:30 or 3pm. I leave my house around 7:30 or 8am after I've walked and fed the pups, so they are good with naps for a few hours at least. I played with the times over and over and have settled nicely into the late afternoon routine. This also works out well for me when I have to stay late at the office or go to happy hour.

If my pups don't potty with the walker, they have to hold it. Their decision. The walker is only there for 15 minutes so the walk is not long, just like you.

Unfortunately I have no further suggestions. Good luck...little diva! :lol

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Fluffy

Badger does almost exactly this. I have an unfenced yard, so pee breaks involve leashing him and bringing him into the back yard. (he has zero problem with pottying on leash). He'll have a favorite pee spot, a spot that as soon as I take him there he goes and we're both clear that that is The Spot. For a while, one grassless corner of the yard was It. Immediate peeing as soon as we hit it.

And then after a week or two, whatever spot he loved is persona (spottana?) non grata. Doesn't want to go there. One day I took him to the previously-loved corner, and he looked at me like "What the hell, woman?" and laid down. On the dirt and leaves. And just continued to look at me.

Suddenly, he wanted to go right by the edge of my deck. Wouldn't potty in the previous corner. So we did that. Now, he prefers the edge of the deck, but will sometimes go in the corner.

And that's just for peeing. His preferred poop spots also rotate, but more slowly. Lately he likes to aim his poops downhill. :huh

Unfortunately, the only proven solution I have to offer is "have enough time to walk either in circles until the dog goes, or far enough that the dog finds a new spot (s)he's willing to go." Other than that...maybe the dog walker could come later, at a time when Molly is likely to have to go badly enough that she's less picky?

Guest Jubilee251

These guys are so finicky! :lol

Molly does potty on leash, so it's not that. She's just a big weirdo. She'll find new spots, and then pee for the dogwalker - after a few weeks, she'll no longer want to pee in that spot. We're running out of immediate areas she can go! I don't know if she understands: "Well, if I don't pee for the dogwalker, mom and dad won't be home until later." She's not having accidents in the house, but I just feel bad when she has to hold it the whole rest of the day.

I'll try a few different things - i.e. having the dogwalker come earlier, timing their walk to see how long it takes to walk to a grassy park, and maybe sprinkling her urine on a few spots and seeing if that's effective.

I would suggest the dog walker come later, not earlier!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Wasserbuffel

My girl is turned out at least four times a day. She pees on her first turn out. Doesn't when DH gets home from work. Pees when I put her out in the middle of the evening. She has to be forced out at bedtime where she usually just lays down in the grass, lately I haven't bothered to make her go out and she doesn't have any accidents over night.

Maybe she just doesn't have to go. (Not that you should stop giving her opportunities)