Vestibular Disease

Guest puff

Puffer, my hound, was just admited to the hospital. The vet feels she has vestibular disease or had a stroke. Anybody else had a hound with vestibular disease? How was the outcome? She was able to walk, but not at all good and got sick before heading to the vet.

My Frasier had VD (vestibular disease) and my Lynch has had 2 bad episodes and one not so bad episode. When Lynch had his really bad episode this last time, he could barely stand, I had to hold this 90 pound hound up when he needed to go pee. He walked like a drunken sailor for quite a few days - probably 15 or so. And as he was recovering (a little better each day) he wasn't going to the same spot in the yard to pee or poop, it was like he'd never seen our yard before (been here about 5 years and he's been with me the entire time.) The last episode was the worse one and it honestly took about 6 months for him to come back 90% He's not 100% and never will be, but he has a very good live with just a little residual balance issue occasionally. And now he pees and poops in the very same place every time, right back where he used to.

Frasier only had one episode adn then the next thing he had a seizure and lived his last few years out as a seizure dog without any further VD episodes. I'm still not totally convinced his first episode wasn't a seizure, but the vet said VD.

Most dogs get over vestibular disease (something seems wrong about shortening it to Vd!!!) fairly quickly. I had a friend whose dog was down for about 2 days (carried her out to potty and finally gave up and for 2 days she peed in her dog bed) and then rapidly improved so it was pretty much over after about 5 or 7 days. So the episodes can vary.

I think many dogs here have had this issue as well as strokes and some dogs recover quickly from strokes as well.

Good luck and I hope Puffer improves quickly and is home in a jiffy. :)

Our Hobbes had an incident of Vestibular Disease. He couldn't stand or walk, was disoriented and his stomach was upset. Vestibular symptoms can be very scary to see. Not knowing if it was a stroke, he was treated by a canine neurologist who put him on medication for the dizziness and to settle his stomach. It took about 7 days for him to return to normal but each day we saw improvement.

Good luck with your pup. Hope Puff has a quick recovery.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Valor, my 12 year old galgo had vestibular disease several months ago. He could not walk or stand without falling over. I had to carry him in and out to go to the bathroom for about 10 days before he could do it himself. He is still not himself, cannot go on walks, and is still wobbly and a bit uncoordinated. It was really scary when he was at his worst. The vet gave him anti nausea meds and valium to keep him quiet. I hope your Puff has a quick, uneventful recovery, I hope I never have to go through it again, Good luck.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Guest KennelMom

Our bridge boy Grandpa had a bout of vestibular disease....he couldn't walk straight, staggered around. His episode only lasted maybe 36 hours.

Our Akita Black Lab mix dog had an episode when she was about 14 or 15. It took about a week for her to recover fully, and we had seen improvement in a few days. she was a feisty old girl!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12