A Few Prayers For Jake Please

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gosh, I didn't realize it was Jake that got you off the phone. Keeping him in my prayers. Hopefully he'll be better this afternoon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Well it's looking more and more like the return of the mystery disease. :(

Jake's temp is down to 103 much better then last night's 105.1 He can get up with help and walks carefully but steadily out to go potty. He is refusing food and water, which is par for the course when he is like this. He will eat chicken and cookies though rolleyes.gif I am giving him water by syringe and he is not dehydrated. I'm going to get some gatorade when I'm out to keep his elecrolytes balanced.

He is red in the groin and on the inside of his back legs. That may be bruising since he fell last night and almost for sure strained something. But, his right back foot looks a bit bigger as does the hock. :(

I'm emailing our vet to see if she wants to see him tomorrow. But it does look like he will be back on doxy for a while again.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

:(

Poor bug.

Please feel better, handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Aw, poor Jake. I hope he is feeling better soon. I say if the doxy works, stick with it. My Pinky is on tetracycline all the time for her lupus.

I'm assuming his heart has been checked out? That's the only thing I could think of that would cause this weird swelling :dunno

In any case, hugs to you, and to Mr. Jake. Glad he's able to get around on his own, even if it's a little bit slower than usual :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yes, his heart was checked and is fine.

We treated him for tick disease by default and in desperation. He's had all kinds of blood work and a joint tap but no clues. He is negative for lyme, rocky mountain, babesia and the most common ehrlichias. Our vet feels he would test positive to a tick disease if we knew exactly which one to test for. since there are so many we could spend a mint.

I was really encouraged since starting the doxy on Dec 31st, he has recovered and began doing things he had stopped doing over a year ago.

I'm suspecting that like me with fibromyalgia overdoing yesterday caused a flare up. I think his hip is what's affected, not his ankles like before.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Poor Jake. Sending healing prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tinams8

I know of several dogs who have been on doxy for years because of similar issues. One in particular has tested positive for two different TBDs over the years and then even when he is testing negative, he would have flare ups so now he is on it indefinitely. He has done very well as long as he stays on it.

I hope Jake feels better soon, and even if you don't find the cause, I hope the doxy continues to help him.

Poor Jake! :( Sending lots of good thoughts, Janet :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Poor Jake! Hope tomorrow brings more improvement. Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh gosh, Janet - I'm so sorry this is back for Jake (or sounds like it at least!) I hope that the doxy does the trick again for him - it is so worrisome when they get out of whack, and there isn't a obvious answer. Hugs to you and Jake; it's so frustrating, I know... :grouphug

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Darn it, I thought you had this one licked. Prayers Jake starts to improve and is feeling better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The goober is almost back to normal. I woke up to him standing next to the couch wagging his tail. He went out and dig what he had to and came back in to watch me get ready for work.

I called home on my break and Frank said he had eaten his breakfast and had seconds. Yay! He was also downstairs with Daddy so as I said, mostly back to normal.

I don't know what to think. Is this a flare up? Or was he just sore from standing (he is 11 ya know!) and lost his footing on the stairs which caused an injury with bruising and stiffness? The fever is what concerns me, that is part of the tick disease or whatever pattern we saw before.

I'm taking him to the vet at 4:30 to have her look at him just to be sure. He has bruising in his groin and down his left leg, plus his ankle is just a bit swollen. No fluid buildup in that skinny space though.

Thanks for all the good thoughts, I'll update you all later on what I find out.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Well, Jake, we're glad you're feeling better, but you know your Mom is still worried about you.

Janet, let us know how the sweet old guy is doing---hope he's back on track soon.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Those are very encouraging signs! Hard to say, but, IMO it sounds like a flare up. HOWEVER, it could have been caused by him standing for a while and from his injury.

I have lupus, and I know if I have a particularly long couple of days and/or hurt myself somehow, I will start to have a lupus flare up :nod Fever, chills, achiness (unrelated to the injury), etc.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Phew...only just reading this. Sounds like he's improving now....sending some continued well wishes for Jake.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Given his history and what she saw today Miki is going to order 6 weeks of doycyclin.

I love my vet,she really listens. Last time we did the doxy, she wrote a script that was too low. When I asked for higher dose, she showed me that in the drug manual what the safe dose was. I pointed out that much higher doses were being given to greyhounds with TBD so she went out on a limb and gave him a much higher dose for 30 days. Now she wants to up it a bit and give it for a longer period, so she asked me to email her the dosage amount. colgate.gif

Jake was worn out and didn't want to eat his dinner.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Sending best wishes for a quick knockout of whatever-it-is. Jake, have a nice rest and then gobble up some supper, 'k?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter