Wierd Potty Training Problem

Guest sfalexi

Guest sfalexi

We've had our dogs with us for almost four weeks now! The 1+ year old, 75 pound boy is fine. Very submissive, mostly quiet (except when he's playing with the little puppy he likes to bark as he gets excited!)

Our 3 month old (appx), 15 pound puppy is actually progressing REALLY well. At least I think he is, considering I've never had to potty train a puppy before. But we hung bells and he knows that if he rings the bells he goes outside. And 9 times out of 10, he rings those bells, and immediately pees or poops when we let him outside.

One thing though, is that sometimes he seems to have an accident, but not like a "normal" pee. Normally, to pee, he will stop in one spot, squat, and pee. Sometimes he'll have an accident that seems more like a "dribble" of pee as he's walking to the door to (I assume) hit the bells. Almost like his bladder is so full that he just CAN'T hold it in but is trying to while going to the door? Does this sound like something that is possible or probable?

Alexi

Guest TeddysMom

I have had a lot of puppies that are playing and forget to go to the door fast enough, they dribble while running for the door. At 3 months, I would say you have done a wonderful job teaching him to ring the bells to go out. As long as he has been checked out for a UTI, I wouldn't worry about it, he will get better at holding it. You might want to try to catch a urine sample and take it to your vet just to be sure. Good luck and good job training him.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Years ago we had a large breed puppy (Greater Swiss Mountain Dog) and it took him forever to be able to hold it. . .and it was just like that he would do the dribble thing while walking. Obviously it's not "funny" but it did look a little like he was trying to write his name (except on my carpet instead of the snow!)

I'll go along with the idea that age will cure this, but you might take in a sample for the vet to do a quick test too-that's pretty cheap and it will help your peace of mind.

Guest IHeartDogs

I had a boy puppy(weim) who did the same thing. Basically it is like you said, he is trying to hold it and make it to the door, but a little escaped. A 3 month old usually can't hold it for more than 3-4 hours and if he gets excited, was playing, he might have to go right away and has trouble waiting for you to open the door.

Imo, tt is not a UTI or behavioral, but you can run a urine test to rule it out.

Yep...normal puppy thing. Amongst many other things that you will expeirne while raising one. The joys of puppyhood! I'd do it over again in a heartbeat too...potty accidents and all. I'd say he's doing really, really, REALLY well if he's asking to go out at that age. Good boy!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest KennelMom

Normal. He's still a baby and still learning his body. I loved having a greyhound puppy and would do it again in a second (provided they were born here too :P )