Allergic Rxn To Rabies Shot

Early this AM Minny got his 3 year rabies shot. He got his last one at the same clinic, same vaccine, 3 years ago with no issues whatsoever. First thing that happens is the tech gives it to him in his left side-right where his belly tucks up! This bothered me. I don't like changes for no good reason when you don't have to. My dogs have been getting shots in the normal places i.e. the butt, above/between the shoulders etc. for many many years without incident. What kind of crap is this in the middle of their belly stuff? Thats what I was thinking.

Well I no sooner got on the road home when he began to have a terrible reaction. It began with a "wild" look in the eyes and slobbering and panting with dragging his front paw on the side that the shot was given. In the 5 minutes it took to get back to the vet it had progressed to his hindleg also on that side-it looked like his whole left side was becoming paralyzed and he was in danger of going down. He also was scared now and looked frightened too. They went to work on him and gave him injections of dexamethazone and epinephrine and told me he would be alright that it was not unusual. He did start to improve immediately and after making sure he was stablized and OK they told me to bring him home. He vomited when he first came home and I called and the Dr. said that was OK too. Anyway he is now just laying around sleeping. The only food he's had is a small piece of chopped sirloin burger I fried him-his usually great appetite is gone. What should I be on the lookout for now? Do I need to worry about any bad rxns to the drugs or do you think he will have another allergic rxn when the dex shot wares off? Anybody ever have this happen? He has never had any allergies or rxns to anything before- this was straight out of the blue. He definitely will NOT EVER get another rabies shot since this one nearly killed him. They'll have to put me in jail if necessary but no mas.

Gracie developed a similar reaction to her regular vaccinations after getting the dental vaccination(never again!) one year.

The vet now pre-medicates her with the dexamethazone shot a few minutes before her yearly vaccines and we have not had further problems.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'd be looking for another vet. Wondering if they even got it in the muscle where it belonged?!

Hope he remains stable now -- what a miserable scare.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd be looking for another vet. Wondering if they even got it in the muscle where it belonged?!

I asked the tech who gave the shot (its so beneath vets now to give vaccinations they have their techs do it) whether he had given it subQ or IM and he told me subQ...that almost everything nowadays was given subQ. Do you think this may be what caused it? If it wasn't for the law I could do it myself and then I know it would be done right but in KY they require a vet, or apparently vet tech, for it.

Well, that is a good question. I believe you're right, that the shot can be given subQ or IM. I have this vestigial memory that IM may reduce reactions, but I could be mixed up on that? Hopefully somebody smart will wander by who can tell us both.

Two things got me about your post -- one is the tech giving the shot. In some places, it's a law that the vet has to give it. Here, I don't think a technician has ever given my dog an injection. The vet does it. Always always always.

The second thing that got me is the vet saying it was not unusual. Say WHAT?! If it's not unusual in their practice ... run far far away.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

The rabies shot is usually given sub q.

The reaction IS unusual, but not unheard of. Most dogs who get these types of reactions, either avoid the shots all together, or, they do premedicate.

If, when the anti reaction meds wear off, you still have problems, I'd say it is OK to give Benedryl, 5o mg, every four hours as needed ****BUT DO CHECK WITH THE VET first, just to be sure.

Sorry you had to go through this! Hope your baby feels better SOON!

Well, that is a good question. I believe you're right, that the shot can be given subQ or IM. I have this vestigial memory that IM may reduce reactions, but I could be mixed up on that? Hopefully somebody smart will wander by who can tell us both.

Two things got me about your post -- one is the tech giving the shot. In some places, it's a law that the vet has to give it. Here, I don't think a technician has ever given my dog an injection. The vet does it. Always always always.

The second thing that got me is the vet saying it was not unusual. Say WHAT?! If it's not unusual in their practice ... run far far away.

Well Batmom the quality of care has just deteriorated in recent years is all I can figure. Just a few weeks ago I sat in a different clinic with one of my houndies-waiting for the vet to show up- when some people came in for their yearly shots etc. The tech administered the shots, did the paperwork, and the people left with their dog -all before the vet even got there. There was not even a vet on the premesis (and this was the middle of a weekday). The tech told them the vet wasn't there but that if it was OK with them they could just go ahead and take care of it and the owner thought that was fine and agreed. And todays vet did tell me it happens all the time. Is it any wonder I have trust issues with vets and pharmaceuticals? Just last month they had to recall all of the PrevenNile vacccine because it was killing the horses and making others very sick. And although this practice treats horses can you believe this vet was unaware of it? Thank God they just happen to use Fort Dodge instead. Seems to me that he should have at least been aware of it. I was and I'm not even a vet. But I do have a very valuable racehorse I care about so I know that its up to me to be aware of such things because you can't trust the vets to be. Perhaps I'm being unfair or rude but I get very very serious when it comes to my beloved animals health ESPECIALLY when they can be hurt by stupidity. Have you ever heard of a rabies shot being given in the middle of the side of the belly where their little tiny waist tucks up? Guess this is the new way.

The rabies shot is usually given sub q.

The reaction IS unusual, but not unheard of. Most dogs who get these types of reactions, either avoid the shots all together, or, they do premedicate.

If, when the anti reaction meds wear off, you still have problems, I'd say it is OK to give Benedryl, 5o mg, every four hours as needed ****BUT DO CHECK WITH THE VET first, just to be sure.

Sorry you had to go through this! Hope your baby feels better SOON!

Thanks Energy. Tomorrrow being Sunday I probably won't be able to get ahold of him but I'm glad to know he'll probably be OK. Another poster said their girl had a similar rxn to the dental vaccine and was OK after treatment. He's resting comfortably now.

I think you need to report this vet.

read state regulations here

You'll see either vet only or a vet must be on the premises on that list. North Dakota specifically says vet techs cannot give a rabies shot.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

You'll see either vet only or a vet must be on the premises on that list. North Dakota specifically says vet techs cannot give a rabies shot.

YEP! You are totally right, Ducky!

Dr. B let me give vaccinations, but he was always in the room. MOST of the time, He'd give the vaccines, though. BUT, no matter, YES, Rabies vaccines should always be administered by a licensed veterinarian.

First--I'm sorry this happened--rather uncommon with Rabies but, not unheard of. Here in NJ the vet must admin the vaccine. It is given sq in the right rear leg---rabies/right is the rule of thumb. Kinda surprised they didn't admit him. Usually a iv cath is placed and Dex SP is given with Benedryl. Most often iv fluids are run while the patient stablizes. Usually benedryl is recc. every 8 hours after the pup has been discharged. Did the clinic do a follow up call? I would be looking for another vet just because it didn't seem to me that they were very proactive with your pups treatment--impo

Oh no I can't get involved with nothing like that. I was a cop for 8 years and I know from much experience not to get involved in anything like that.

First--I'm sorry this happened--rather uncommon with Rabies but, not unheard of. Here in NJ the vet must admin the vaccine. It is given sq in the right rear leg---rabies/right is the rule of thumb. Kinda surprised they didn't admit him. Usually a iv cath is placed and Dex SP is given with Benedryl. Most often iv fluids are run while the patient stablizes. Usually benedryl is recc. every 8 hours after the pup has been discharged. Did the clinic do a follow up call? I would be looking for another vet just because it didn't seem to me that they were very proactive with your pups treatment--impo

You're joking about the follow up call, right? Of course not. Anyhow thanks for the info. I am watching him like a hawk. I think he will be OK but should anything new show up I'll probably cross my fingers and hope a decent er vet is on duty at one of the emergency clinics. I feel so much better after just reading the info from the posts. Thanks again.

Oh no I can't get involved with nothing like that. I was a cop for 8 years and I know from much experience not to get involved in anything like that.

I understand your position. I hope your boy is feeling better. Please find another vet!

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm probably naive to have to ask this, but what happens if one gets involved in something like this?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest koolaidnconner

I don't know about where you live but at the clinic I work at the Vets give the vacc. and a techmay with he vet right there but definitly not the rabies.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Where I live, vets or a tech under the direct supervision of a vet must give the rabies vaccine. All others can be given by a tech. Here, "direct supervision" means the vet is in the same room. The reason only a veterinarian may give the rabies shot, as far as i know, has to do with an outdated type of rabies vaccine. The vaccine used to contain modified live virus; which would creat a tiny chance that an animal could, under certain circumstances, actually develop rabies. Nowdays, rabies vaccines contain killed virus only; so that risk is gone. So, in theory, a tech should be able to give the rabies vaccine just like the others, it's basically an antiquated law.

But, for what it's worth, most of the the vets here are the ones giving the vaccines. I do know that the reason for doing away with the between the shoulder blades vaccine placement is a safety precaution due to the slight possibility of vaccine-site tumor formation (more common in cats.) The rationale is that an animal can live without a hind limb, but a tumor developing right above the spine may be inoperable and cost an animal it's life. Why the injection in the tuck area, I don't know. It is a fairly common area to give sub-q injections of other kinds, but the rabies usually goes in the right rear.

Where I live, vets or a tech under the direct supervision of a vet must give the rabies vaccine. All others can be given by a tech. Here, "direct supervision" means the vet is in the same room.

That is the way it is in TX. The shot clinic vet stands in the room during reduced $ hours while 3 or 4 techs give shots as fast as they can.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Where my guys go, there is an office visit fee ($39/dog) if the vet has to be involved in the day's events. Since rabies is supposed to be administered by a vet, I make the dogs' annual wellness exams, heartworm and lab-work blood draws, and rabies shots (if needed--we do 3-year shots) all happen on the same visit on the same day.

Two weeks after the rabies/wellness-exam/vet visit, my guys go in and get DHPP and bordatella from a tech. I only pay for the shots, no office visit fee. This lets me spread their shots over two visits without increasing my expenses.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Two weeks after the rabies/wellness-exam/vet visit, my guys go in and get DHPP and bordatella from a tech. I only pay for the shots, no office visit fee.

That is good you vet doen't charge a tech fee. One of the vets I used to use charged a $10 tech fee.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Mom2Shiloh

My reaction to the site of the shot is..what the @#$@@$% . Never had anyone inject anything in that site, rabies is supposed to go in a muscle. I Have heard of reactions to Rabies vax but never heard of the site you described.... It may take him a few days to get over it completely-- but *I* would switch vets because of what I consider the cavalier responses you got. "Don't worry about it" ? "That's normal" ? I don't THINK so. That's really not acceptable from your vet All the way around. Poor boy.

My Joanna had a Very bad reaction the last time she had a combination shot that included the Leptospirosis vax component. None of my dogs has gotten that particular one since and if they need vaccination I will get single component shots... and that's only if a titre every 3 years shows they need it. In fact I'll only get rabie vax for my dogs from my holistic vet so I can have the homeopathic follow-up remedy to minimize the negative side effects.

willie wonka, my welsh terrier had the same reaction to his last rabies shot at age 11. but it occured as i was paying and leaving the office. within the 5 minute period of having the shot he was out cold and seizing . my vet quick went to work on him, dethamethizone and ephenrine and it took a good amount of time to bring him back. i ended up staying in his area and taking a good 30+min. walk as the drugs kicked in and then a good re-exam and NO MORE RABIES SHOTS for willie. which basically meant no more camping for him. willie unfortunately was never the same, i am sure that there was some brain damamge, he was really gone for a while. willie lived a full life to the ripe age of 14. lucky you were still in the area.

i would speak to your vet and ask him/her since you have had this experience can he/she personally administer all innoculations.

Guest LindsaySF

I would switch vets pronto. In some states the law is that only the vet can administer a rabies vaccine, or must be directly supervising. But aside from that, they seemed pretty cavalier and disinterested in your dog's well-being...

It's been years since I was a vet tech, so maybe things are different now, but I have never heard of the injection site you mention. In school we learned it as "right rump rabies". And FullMetalFrank is right, now they try to place the shot on a limb so that if a vaccine-induced sarcoma developed it could be removed or the limb amputated. The old method was a sub-q injection between the shoulder blades, but sarcomas developing there were too difficult to operate on.

I hope your pup is feeling better soon.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

willie wonka, my welsh terrier had the same reaction to his last rabies shot at age 11. but it occured as i was paying and leaving the office. within the 5 minute period of having the shot he was out cold and seizing . my vet quick went to work on him, dethamethizone and ephenrine and it took a good amount of time to bring him back. i ended up staying in his area and taking a good 30+min. walk as the drugs kicked in and then a good re-exam and NO MORE RABIES SHOTS for willie. which basically meant no more camping for him. willie unfortunately was never the same, i am sure that there was some brain damamge, he was really gone for a while. willie lived a full life to the ripe age of 14. lucky you were still in the area.

i would speak to your vet and ask him/her since you have had this experience can he/she personally administer all innoculations.

Thanks for sharing. It is very reassuring to hear that Willie recovered to live a long and full life. I am concerned about possible lasting effects as well. Minny is much better but still drags the legs on that side somewhat. Its only been 48 hrs so I'm hoping it is still part of the recovery process. Minny will NOT be getting ANY further vaccinations. I also will never leave the clinic premesis for at least 3o minutes after any shots from now on. Thanks again. Had the Good Lord not just out of the blue had me stop at the post office immediately upon leaving the clinic I probably wouldn't have picked up on it until I was too far away to get him back there in time to be revived. Literally God saved him for me.

I wonder if the vaccine manufacturers are using a new adjuvant? I have heard that most of the time it is the adjuvant that is being reacted to- not the actual vaccine. It seems peculiar to me that of a sudden there are a number of dogs having allergic rxns to it that had received rabies vaccinations many times in the past -with the "old" IM vaccine-without any adverse rxns. Could this could be another case of the drug companies "improvements"( to a sub-Q version) actually harming and killing more animals than the old product did? Of course they will never return to the old safe IM version because they need to pay for the cost of the "improvement" to the new sub-Q vaccine and there is the emperors new coat syndrome. I don't know. It just seems peculiar to me that a number of dogs would suddenly be having possibly fatal reactions to something that never bothered them before.