Leaving Your Grey Loose At Night

Guest hounddog

I got a dog so he could cuddle with me. Only time Chance has slept in his crate(his choice after I kicked him out of bed) is if he growled when I tried to move him. Only has happened 3x in almost a year. I also have a good boy...no chewing on "stuff" & can't really reach the counter. He sleeps all night with me till I'm ready to get up! I'm VERY lucky!!! blush.gif

Guest amn70

Laddie is allowed free run of most of the house when we are gone though the bathroom doors are closed since he goes in the garbage. I also have an accordian gate for the livingroom which I usually close off since IF he decides to have an accident in the house which is really rare the livingroom carpet seems to be his choice. He isn't destructive and generally just goes upstairs and sleeps in his bed in the computer room or in the hallway. At night is sleeps in my bedroom with the door closed and generally sleeps thru the night without a hitch though sometimes he wakes up, gets up, clip clops around for a minute goes back to his bed and starts nesting making a lot of racket and plops back down.

Guest larock

Walter, at night for a week; day, did not crate

Ward, did not crate

Frightning, did not crate

Roodie, 1 night in the crate (barked his fool head off for 12 hours...) - crated for 3 months during the day

Ella, 1 night in the crate; have had her a week, still crating during the day

I guess it just depends on the dog. We also live in a bungalow so you can't get away with too much!

Guest jvandover

Chad and Lovie were never crated. Both have slept on beds on the bedroom floor since the night we got them. Lovie settled right in, and has always slept through the night. The first few nights with Chad were rough, him waking up (and waking us up) every few hours. Now he only wakes us up if he has tummy problems and needs to potty.

Guest TeddysMom

I finally got to the point of trusting Teddy to free roam and not get in trouble but now I have Blossom who is a real counter surfer and food thief. She now has to sleep either in her crate or in my bedroom with the baby gate up. She is still a bit scared so I don't scold her, I just keep everything put up that she might be interested in.

Guest Fluffy

Badger spent the nights in his crate for the first week or two (he doesn't mind being crated, generally), until I felt reasonably confident that he viewed night time as sleep time, not "let's explore and destroy" time. Now I know that once he has his dinner, he's zonked and done for the day other than potty breaks. Couldn't persuade him to stand up and cause trouble if I wanted to! :nappy

He won't sleep in my bedroom with me, so he sleeps in the living room, which adjoins the bedroom. Since I can't see him around the corner, I left his collar and tags on him for the first month or so - I am a light sleeper, so whenever he moved during the night, I would be alerted by the noise and get up and check on him. That ended once I realized that I was waking up multiple times a night just to find that he'd turned over.

Both pups sleep in our bedroom in their own beds, but we do use a babygate to keep them there. At this point, I'm not really sure they would leave the bedroom (well, I know Mirage wouldn't as he wants to be close by - Piaget might) but I like knowing where they are at night, so we leave it as is as they both seem perfectly content with the arrangement.

Us, too. :)

Guest lasharp1209

I always start fosters crating at night, for housetraining and also because we have cats and I want to be sure they won't become midnight snacks. After we adopted Blade we crated him at night because he seemed comfortable there, but then started keeping the crate door open and babygating our door. No need - he just wanted to sleep where we were.

Now we have his crate in our bedroom with the door open, and he can go in if he wants to, but he sleeps on a dog bed beside our bed. We don't babygate the door anymore because he doesn't get up.

I LOVE waking up in the middle of the night and seeing him curled in the fetal position on his bed, fast asleep. He looks so stinkin cute :rolleyes:

When Molly came to us, she had been in another home (we call it her starter home) for about 3 weeks. She was house-trained and pretty mellow. She'd get into a few things (like chew on the remotes), but we learned pretty quickly what could stay out and what had to be tucked away!

We tried to crate Molly overnight at first (the starter owners did), but she barked, cried and whined something awful even when we slept out on the couch with her the first couple of nights. Super tired and frustrated, I decided to remove one of our bedside tables and tuck her bed there next to my side of the bed --- I needed some sleep! That was probably the 4th night we had her. She slept through the night and didn't move except to rearrange her bedding. She slept in our room from then on. Now after her evening potty, she heads straight to the bedroom to go to sleep.

As for loose in the house when we aren't there...she was crated for the first couple of weeks. Then one day my DH forgot to close the door to the crate before he left for class (naughty DH). I came home three hours later and she greeted me at the door happy as can be. Nothing was damaged and both cats were fine (they have a Molly-safe room to hang out in if they want). After that, we just sorta let her stay out all the time. She loves her crate though, and spends plenty of time in there when the door is open. So that behemoth is still taking up a chunk of our living room. I figure we'll keep it up as long as she spends time in there.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Junebug's been loose since Day 1, too. The first night, we kept the door closed so she wouldn't roam, but we quickly learned that Bug sleeps like a rock! She never gets up in the night, except for the occasional position change.

She's the kind of dog that does perfectly fine, as long as her people are right there with her. We've never had any problems with her sleeping. She loves her bed, and if we're still awake at night, and she's tired, she'll bark for us to come to bed! :P

Bella goes in her crate at night. We have some challenges with space and sleep agression if she shares the bed, so it's just better all around if she's in her crate. She'd probably happily sleep in the living room on the sofa, but we like having her in with us. She's also in her crate because if she isn't, she hops up on our bed ready to go for the day at 5:30 am. That's just a LITTLE earlier than either of us would prefer to get up, so.... :)

She has the bedroom to herself with a baby gate during the day. It makes us more comfortable knowing that she doesn't hae the full run of the place, allows our building maintenance team in without a problem. Again, she'd sleep perfectly happily on the sofa all day, but it makes us feel better.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest TeddysMom

After reading this thread yesterday and seeing how comfy the dogs were on the couch, loveseat and the LR dog beds when I got ready to go to bed, I decided to see how they would do overnight with free run. DH's bedroom and the bathroom doors were closed but I left my bedroom open and made sure there was no food items out. They did great, I ended up with Mandy on the bed with me along with the little dogs that are always there, Spencer and Blossom on the dogs beds in the bedroom and Teddy, Spice and Muncie on the couch and loveseat. This morning Teddy came in to wake me up by jumping on the bed and walking on me, which is normal, but there was no damage to anything and no accidents. If this continues I will be happy.