Canine Septic Tanks

Guest kydie

My neighbor built his own, drilled holes in a metel garbage can and removed the bottom, he then, dug a hole placed the can in, and backfilled it with gravel, he claims it works great, he has 1 dog, I always wondered too how it would work with multiple dogs :huh

Edited by kydie

Guest smudgebear

My DH built one like what Kydie describes. It's actually worked out well for us, but we also only have one dog. We have a large yard as well, so we're able to put it in an out of the way place a good distance from the house.

We tried both a commercial one and a home-made one - neither worked very well for multiple dogs. There's just too much matter for the digester per day. Plus, it's pretty stinky, even when it does work. Siting it is critical, especially if you have neighbors!

As a further comment, I was talking with one of our local sewer worker's during some work in front of our house, and his big no-no with them is that the material and chemicals can easily seep into ground water/water table and make its way to streams and rivers.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have LOTS of huge holes in our yard. One happens to be not too far from the dog yard, so I just scoop and dump it in there. Not the prettiest smelling spot to walk by, but it isn't utterly disgusting. The heat and bugs do their thing. And rain.

Awful for multiple dogs! We bought 4 and put them in. They were rated for 2 large dogs each. They were stinky, attracted flies, and never decomposed the way they were supposed to and we followed the instructions exactly. DH ended up getting a post hole digger, digging out all the poop, and hauling it away. It was a huge waste of money and time. We have 7 dogs here (our 6 and a foster).

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I had a large one and it does NOT work as well as advertised. For one dog with very well draining soil (i.e. no clay!), I think it would work. But it's imperative, IMHO, to have excellent drainage and thoughtful placement. Also, if you have lawn maintenance done, put a patio side table or something over it -- the heavy equipment like topdressing machines, aerators, etc., will break the plastic beyond repair and it's NOT a nice thing to have to clean up! I know from experience as we just had to knock ours in and fill the hole. Ick.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Another thing to think about, though this is not something the OP would have to worry about too much in GA: they don't work in temperatures lower than 40* Fahrenheit. So for those of us that get cold in winter - not worth it.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

The Powerloo for what doggies do is now on the market. I would love one but the price is way over my league. www.powerloo.com

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

I had one and didn't like it for the reasons stated above. Plus, I always dreaded opening the lid, fearing some big, green poop monster would reach out and pull me in. The digestive additives were expensive too. I finally buried it.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg