Making Themselves Sick On Peaches

Guest K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

I've never wanted to chop down a tree so bad in my life!!! :angryfire

Seriously, we have 2 fruit trees in our yard, and I hate this time of year. The peaches fall from the trees and the dogs go out and eat what's on the ground. We do our best to clean everything up, but we can't get them all. The fruit also attracts many more squirrels, which is a whole different problem. :(

Meana has made herself sick the past couple of days. We found 2 piles of throw-up each with a peach pit. It's definitely Meana. She isn't eating and very lethargic. I gave her 1/2 a Pepcid last night, and DH gave her another 1/2 this morning.

Any suggestions besides cutting down the tree? :dunno

I was thinking about a tree net to catch the fruit. Here's what I think might work- Fruit Tree Netting

Edited by K9Cookies

I would run her to the vet for a quick x-ray and make sure there's no blockage. How about muzzles with stool cups, or perhaps better, a couple strategically placed pieces of duct/medical tape (covers up a bit less of the muzzle end, so vomit can get thru)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am no help. I chopped ours down. It was a nuisance. If the dogs didn't eat them then the birds did and the peaches were a mess. I would clean them up and the next morning there would be 50 more on the ground. Sorry.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Energy11

I don't know about cutting the tree down, ... hope you dont' have to, but I would watch your Meana. Those peach pits could cause a blockage. If she continues with the lethargy, might be good to see the vet to be sure there isn't a pit stuck somewhere inside her GI tract.

For the most part, peaches are fine for these dogs, in moderation, of course, but the pits are another story.

Good luck with trying to figure out what to do with the tree, and I hope Meana feels better soon!

Guest K9Cookies

I really want to chop it down. :( We'll check out Lowe's and the local places to see about a net or something.

I guess I'll call the vet to see what she thinks about an X-ray. She's not in distress, but definitely not herself. She's always excited to eat, but not the past 2 days.

Guest KennelMom

Muzzle would make it a lot harder to eat a peach pit (definitely a risk of blockage with those).

I'd cut it down or make sure the dogs are muzzled/monitored outside so they don't overindulge.

In my yard it is the mulberry tree. Noelle has been "helping" the birds eat the berries but now has cut herself back on how much she eats. Of all my dogs she is the one that should not eat extras & I guess her tummy has finally made her understand this. The tree is a beautiful shape but so messy!

Muzzles with stool guards. They're a lot cheaper than surgery.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would call the vet, too. When my ACD ate a peach pit, my vet was quite concerned - he told me it is one of the worst things a dog can eat. (maybe he was exaggerating, but still).

With so many peaches on the ground, you probably don't have any way of knowing if she managed to throw up all of them.

Good luck, I hope she feels better soon!!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest K9Cookies

I called the vet and we have an appointment at 3:30. I'll let you guys know what we find out.

Meana not eating and laying around a lot makes me really think of Bonnie when she was sick. I hate seeing our babies like this. :(

A couple of sites say the pits can be toxic, in cluding this one from the ASPCA:

poison info

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest K9Cookies

Back from the vet, but Meana is staying there.

We are definitely worried about an obstruction. :( Nothing major popped out at the vet on the X-rays though. Some gas and loose stool, but no obvious peach pit (they are hard to see on X-rays because of their density).

We were given 2 options and will probably do both-

1) Barium Swallow to see how things are moving, but we've only got about an hour and 15 minutes before they close

2) Something called BIPS. They're small pellets that also move through so they can see what's going on.

So, they gave her the barium around 4:30 and we're supposed to go back at 5:45 to go over the new X-rays.

Fingers crossed. Please send good thoughts for the broodie! :goodluck

Edited by K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

:banana Good news! :banana

The barium moved through Meana's stomach and into the intestines without any trouble. No obstruction was found at all! :) The vet still couldn't rule out a peach pit in the stomach because of all of the barium, but it looks clear otherwise. We were sent home with Flagyl and are also supposed to give a 1/2 Pepcid twice a day. If things decline tonight, we're supposed to show up again at 8 AM tomorrow.

We just cooked up some chicken and rice and she finally ate something! Good news there too. :D We'll keep giving her that for a while and slowly switch back.

Now for the bad news...

We came home to discover a dead squirrel under the peach tree. :( We're cutting down the tree this weekend. I hate to do it, but it's causing all kinds of trouble.

Edited by K9Cookies