Itchy, Itchy Cute Puppy!

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

I'm posting this for a friend because she's getting nowhere with results and is worried about her dog. It's a non-greyhound but you guys have so much knowledge I'm hoping you can help.

This is what she says:

The vet has been running tests and trying different treatments, but so far she's not sure. She's hesitant to call it allergies, because Shecky is so young and she shows no other symptoms of allergies -- no red eyes or skin, basically just itchy and losing hair. They're also hesitant to think it's something contagious, because she's around Bones all the time and Bones isn't itchy at all. They did skin scrapings for parasites that came back negative (no mites, no fleas).

They treated for a possible bacterial infection with no results. They tested for ringworm, and I haven't heard back the results of that test yet. She does have dry skin, but that's always been the case and the itching is new. We're treating the dry skin with fish oil and a hydrocortisone leave in conditioner in hopes that that might help alleviate the itching, and we have a hydrocortisone spray that makes her stop itching for about 10 minutes after we spray it. The vet is

currently trying a short course of ivomec in the event that it's a certain type of parasite (i forget which one but it couldn't be ruled out with the skin scraping) that would be made worse if she treated for allergies with steroids.

We're going back to the vet in three weeks to see where we stand, but my poor baby is losing more hair by the day. Her back legs and feet seem to be the worst (the inside of her back legs is pretty much bald now), but she also bites at her front feet and has a lot of hair loss on her chest.

Oh, and if it matters, Shecky is about 5 months old and she's a black lab.

Here are some photos... any ideas?

115_1891.jpg

115_1889.jpg

115_1888.jpg

115_1885.jpg

It could be an allergy to food. Gee had the same problems and we went through everything and I finally hit upon grain free food and all the itching and hair loss went away. Just because the puppy is young doesn't mean it can't be allergies. Dogs like people can develop allergies at any point in their lives.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We've had two westies w/ allergies. Neither one had red eyes or skin. Couple of quick things off the top of my head: allergy to grass, especiallly if she's laying in it. Grains food, like JFH said. Fungal infection. Did the vet culture for the type of bacteria? If it's a food allergy, it has always taken a good 2 to 3 months to get it under control. And the tiniest bit of not-allowed food will cause it to start up again. Is she scratching and itching or just losing her hair?

If she's actually itching and miserable, you can try pulsing antibiotics; you can also try pred to get the itching under control till the vet gets a handle on what's wrong. Pred is a magic bullet, but reallly bad side effects. But sometimes you need it short term. dunno.gif

Connie

Unfortunately, with the overbreeding of labs, they are now prone to developing allergies. If it's only his legs and belly, I would guess it's to grass, weeds, flowers, or pollen or something that is close to the ground, but it could also be a food issue. It could also be whatever she is using for the dry skin.

I hope he feels better soon.

Guest Greytnorth

A friend of mine has a black lab that is allergic to grains. The poor boy gets itchy and has lost hair because of the allergy. Hope that you find out soon what's causing this!!

Just throwing in my twocents.gif .... My brother's friend's pit had spots of fur fall out all over b/c he washed him with Pantene. It got really bad before it got better. Soooo....did you wash him/her with something that they're allergic to. I'm sure you covered this, but just wanted to throw it out there just in case. blush.gif

Good luck!

Guest happygrey

My sister had a dog with an allergy to fleas that caused her to lose her hair and be itchy. Although the tests came back negative for fleas now perhaps she had them before? Just a thought.

Guest kydie

I too vote a change to a grain free diet is in order, after all it seems everything else has been tired, this is certainly cheaper than repeated vet visits ,,try it for three weeks before next vet visit, I would go for Taste of the wild, salmon flavor

A vet told me once,,,, more dogs have food allergies than people think, I beleive that Good Luck :)

Edited by kydie

I also vote for allergies. Just because he is only 5 months old doesn't mean he can't have allergies. It just takes one exposure to sensitize. Reaction occurs with the second exposure.

If they could afford it, I would put him on a prescription allergy diet. If not, I would use Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance Venison and Potato diet. It has fewer proteins (just the venison and potato) than even Taste of the Wild. It can take 8 weeks to see an improvement. They should also buy some unflavored heartworm preventative. No licking anyone elses bowl. Only the food for treats.

I would also give him regular baths with a gentle, hypoallergenic dog shampoo. You can definitely get this from the vet, I haven't checked retail stores. Try to keep him inside most of the day and off the grass. Make sure he doesn't lay down in the grass. When he comes in wash his lower legs and paws.

Thoroughly clean the carpet, his beds, and his furniture (he obviously likes the couch) to remove as much pollen as possible.

This should help eliminate most potential allergens (except air borne ones). They can also try benedryl (although it may make their dog groggy).

If after 2 months, things haven't improved, then it is either an air-borne allergen or not an allergy at all.

If he has improved, they can start adding things back in (let him play in the grass, for example), one thing at a time. If he doesn't react for a month or so, then add the next thing. Eventually they should be able to find a less expensive food that works for him.

If it is not contraindicated, a course of prednisone can be very helpful in the initial stages.

Jane, who has suffered from allergies her whole life and

Desi, Jane's foster greyhound who has allergies but only showed it by bleeding from his toenail beds

Edited to add: He sure is one cute puppy!

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest savvyprchick

Thanks, all. She's been watching this forum and is super excited at all the responses so far!

Unfortunately, with the overbreeding of labs, they are now prone to developing allergies. If it's only his legs and belly, I would guess it's to grass, weeds, flowers, or pollen or something that is close to the ground, but it could also be a food issue. It could also be whatever she is using for the dry skin.

I hope he feels better soon.

Shecky came from a shelter, so who knows what bloodlines he has!

I'm assuming the vet performed a skin scrape to check for mites (mange)?????

Yes, and came back negative.

I also vote for allergies. Just because he is only 5 months old doesn't mean he can't have allergies. It just takes one exposure to sensitize. Reaction occurs with the second exposure.

If they could afford it, I would put him on a prescription allergy diet. If not, I would use Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance Venison and Potato diet. It has fewer proteins (just the venison and potato) than even Taste of the Wild. It can take 8 weeks to see an improvement. They should also buy some unflavored heartworm preventative. No licking anyone elses bowl. Only the food for treats.

I would also give him regular baths with a gentle, hypoallergenic dog shampoo. You can definitely get this from the vet, I haven't checked retail stores. Try to keep him inside most of the day and off the grass. Make sure he doesn't lay down in the grass. When he comes in wash his lower legs and paws.

Thoroughly clean the carpet, his beds, and his furniture (he obviously likes the couch) to remove as much pollen as possible.

This should help eliminate most potential allergens (except air borne ones). They can also try benedryl (although it may make their dog groggy).

If after 2 months, things haven't improved, then it is either an air-borne allergen or not an allergy at all.

If he has improved, they can start adding things back in (let him play in the grass, for example), one thing at a time. If he doesn't react for a month or so, then add the next thing. Eventually they should be able to find a less expensive food that works for him.

If it is not contraindicated, a course of prednisone can be very helpful in the initial stages.

Jane, who has suffered from allergies her whole life and

Desi, Jane's foster greyhound who has allergies but only showed it by bleeding from his toenail beds

Edited to add: He sure is one cute puppy!

She's going to do this cleaning right away and try this and some of the other responses. She's already looking for a grain free-food (he's already on an awesome wheat-free food, but not totally grain free).

Thanks everyone! She's going to keep checking the forum for any other helpful suggestions.

Guest NickelCreeksMom

Wellness Core and Taste of Wild are both grain free

I'm sure there are others, but I've good luck with both of these brands