Junebug Snapped At Me!

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Exactly what everyone else said. She's still new to your home and it may take a while for her to get to the point where you can have her on the bed again. Most hounds "outgrow" those sleep startle responses, not all but most. Give it some time. Don't hold it against her, she didn't mean to. You did the right thing by making her get off the bed and get on her own, so good job there! I'd make her stay off the furniture for a while.

Judy always says the smartest stuff!

Just my 2 cents; I assumed my George would "outgrow" this problem, but I've had him for over two years and he has NOT. My entire family knows not to touch him, ever, if he's sleeping. I make sure I speak to him, clap my hands, or even toss a sock at him before I give him any kind of cuddling.

Please don't be afraid!

Can someone post for this lady that piece about living in a home from the retired racer's point of view? That's a great piece. Oh! Never mind! I see someone already did!!

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest brandi007

I've got a snappy dog and I love her to death. She sometimes snaps when I hug her, sometimes snaps when she's sleeping with me and almost always snaps at other dogs - she has however, never bitten me.

With Hannah I take it all as a warning, if she wanted to hurt me she would of a long time ago. I've just made adjustments to my life to make sure she knows where I am before I approach her and don't approach her when her body is giving all the wrong signals. Learn to read your dog and it will go a long way to preventing things like this from escalating. Stiff, tense, tail up, mohawks and just general nervousness are all huge warning signs that I shouldn't approach Hannah but wait for her to approach me when she's comfortable.

Both myself and Hannah have made huge strides together dealing with her growling/snapping (and loving) together! Work with your baby girl slowly and don't hold it against her when she tells you to back off - we do it to people all the time. She loves you and is just uncomfortable at the moment, a moment that will pass and then she'll get back to her regularly scheduled begging for loving and loving on you :)

:grouphug