Calcium Deposits In Lungs

Holly's had some weird breathing issues lately. Tires easily, pants often, sometimes sounding labored. After a vet visit yesterday with xrays and full bloodwork, it turns out that there's nothing wrong with her other than old age. It just seems like she's aged overnight. Anyway, the vet saw a bunch of spots on her lungs and he and the radiologist are unconcerned. I was told they were calcium deposits and that it just sometimes happens to older dogs. Holly turned eleven less than a month ago. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue come up?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I'll ask the radiologists I work with it they can explain it for you - and me!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

"Old dog lungs" tend to show up a bit differently on x-ray than young dog lungs. Never heard that it was calcium deposits but don't know that it isn't either.

Hmmm, wasn't that a big help :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyandSioux

I had a older grey that was a AA and had horrible breathing problems. She took 22 pills a day!! Her xrays looked like crap and she sounded like it when she breathed. She lived several years with it. This was about 15 years ago before we had really good films in the vet field. We never found out what caused the problem. The technology just wasn't there. Just know that she lived a long time with garbage for lungs. Beware they will keep their meds in their mouth and spit them out later when you aren't around. I found a bunch under her bed before I figured out she wasn't swallowing them for me.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greyaspet

My 12 year old has it but they told me mineral deposits didn't say what mineral but said it happens a lot in older dogs. Sebastian also has a hard time breathing.

Sheila

Our Tucker had calcifications in all his organs. He panted a lot for no apparent reason.

The only thing we were able to eventually identify was Lyme disease. He had also had the early Lyme disease vaccine 2 years in a row, which later proved to be bad news. We really don't know what caused his immune system to go so amuck.

(Nice Internet finds, Macoduck!)

Checked with my radiologist today. They see calcifications in the lungs and other organs, generally in older humans, and generally of no significance. Doesn't completely relate to the canine world so if there's panting + calcifications I'd be cautious.

tiny hada siggy.png

"Old dog lungs" tend to show up a bit differently on x-ray than young dog lungs. Never heard that it was calcium deposits but don't know that it isn't either.

Hmmm, wasn't that a big help :lol .

With answers like that you could run for office ;)

I truly hope it's nothing serious.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Tucker was only 9 when he was riddled with calcifications and died. He started getting sick at 6; that's way too young for old dog calcifications. I sure hope you get it figured out and that it turns out well.