Ganglion Cyst?

Guest carmasims

Guest carmasims

while snuggling with chevelle last night, we found what chris thinks is a ganglion on one of his front elbows... it's not 'floating' under the skin, it feels like it's attached to his tendon rather than his bone. it's very... pliable? not sure how to describe the firmness of it other than that. it's a definite roundish shape to

we're going to have the vet check it out when we take both the dogs in for their yearly exams to see what they think. it doesn't seem to bother him, but EWW! and, now that i know it's there.... i can't leave it alone. LOLOLOL

has anyone else had this with their dogs? what was the treatment, outcome, etc.?

thanks!

Guest Fasave

Definitely have it checked out. My guy has had a couple of soft tissue sarcomas, one on the front of his leg. Both were cured with surgery and not the type that tend to spread to organs. Be aware that I did needle biopsies prior to surgery and they came back negative so be careful. I'm glad I did the surgery. If it's a cyst, I think you can try applying warm compresses and see if they go down at all.

colgate.gif I had one of those. It caused no pain, but it was the ugliest thing and got to the point where only one pair of shoes fit. It was removed when I had a bunionectomy, where the thing was located, too. All good now. Good luck with your baby.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest carmasims

thanks for the replies, everyone! normally, i'd just keep an eye on it and him, but it's just in such an odd spot on him that as gross as THIS thought is, i was afraid it might burst :puke and i'm not sure i could handle that! :lol

I would have your vet check the area sooner rather than later. If it turns out that it needs to be surgically excised there isn't too much skin in the elbow area to work with making closing the area more difficult. Your vet will most likely perform a fine needle aspirate (FNA)--that's were they draw a few cells out and examine them under the microscope. It's painless (no more than getting a vaccine), however, you might not always get a representive sample--in that case the Dr may just want to have it removed that way it can be sent in for a biopsy. The only other thing it might be besides a tumor/cyst is a bursa.

I've had a ganglion cyst (old fashioned name was Bible bumps because they could be whacked with a bible and would disappear) removed from the same spot in my wrist three times. Every time it would press on nerves in that area and I had pain all the way to my elbow. They do have a tendency to grow back, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be much different in a dog. So, definitely have it checked out by your vet. Good luck!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby