Something's Very Wrong

Guest Nytingale

Guest Nytingale

Ripley has started to act very strange tonight. She refused her dinner and has been kind of lethargic. She's gone off into the other room to lie down which she almost never does and she seems a little restless.

I've heard all the horror stories of bloat but she hasn't been trying to vomit, she's not whining, her stomach doesn't seem to be distended or anything.

Could she just have a tummyache? Should I call an emergency vet? I can't afford a regular vet let alone an emergency one right now... I just don't know whats wrong.

She hasn't eaten since this morning and she's been a happy dog all day long, She did apparently eat a receipt though... I'm mostly hoping maybe the paper just upset her tummy.

Agggh I've just heard so many horror stories... but Ive never seen bloat so how do I tell?

sorry about the rambling, I'm just really worried about my girl

Guest Greytluv

I don't know anything about bloat. I would just let her rest and see how she is tomorrow. Keep a close eye on her.

Hopefully someone here can chime in.

You could try a Pepcid. That might settle her tummy.

My guideline after spending a zillion unnecessary dollars at the e-vet in my early dog owning days is that if the dog is not pacing, panting or otherwise showing signs of distress and appears to still be drinking as needed, it can probably wait until morning with you keeping an eye out. But that is just me.

Don't know where you are or what your a/c situation is but it's gotten very hot in a lot of places this last week and that could cause a dog to show all the symptoms you describe if you don't have central air or keep it set to a higher setting.

Poodle is very hot natured and will leave me to go be alone and lie on the hardwoods when I think it is just fine in here.

Good luck and keep us posted.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest cruzNhounds

Take her to the Vet. I lost Dusty last month, he was withdrawn not having much of and appetite for a day also. He died without any real serious warning signs, probably was his heart per our Vet. Not much we could of done to save him. Sorry if this freaks you out :(

Guest Longdog

Ripley has started to act very strange tonight. She refused her dinner and has been kind of lethargic. She's gone off into the other room to lie down which she almost never does and she seems a little restless.

I've heard all the horror stories of bloat but she hasn't been trying to vomit, she's not whining, her stomach doesn't seem to be distended or anything.

Could she just have a tummyache? Should I call an emergency vet? I can't afford a regular vet let alone an emergency one right now... I just don't know whats wrong.

She hasn't eaten since this morning and she's been a happy dog all day long, She did apparently eat a receipt though... I'm mostly hoping maybe the paper just upset her tummy.

Agggh I've just heard so many horror stories... but Ive never seen bloat so how do I tell?

sorry about the rambling, I'm just really worried about my girl

I always try tempting Cushtie with favourite treat or smelly food, tuna, sardines, dried tripe stick - if I can coax him to eat I add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil or sunflower oil, it usually helps shift anything that has upset his tum - good luck I do hope Ripley is feeling better soon.

Guest Nytingale

Update:

After a lot of panic on my part and constant watching and picture taking when she forlornly laid on our bed instead of her own, she seems to be doing a little better. She no longer looks quite so faint and she even wandered into the living room a time or two... mostly just to stare at us and wander back so we'd follow I suspect.

I turned on the fan in the bedroom in case she was overheated as was suggested and after a while got some of her favorite treats and put them in a bowl with a tiny amount of olive oil as per another suggestion. She ate them very gingerly and lapped up the oil. About five minutes after I fed her this we heard her food dish rattling as she ate her ignored dinner and now she's laying with us in the living room again. Apparently the treats and oil reminded her she was hungry... silly dog. She still seems a little lethargic but then... the whole family is normally in bed by now so she's probably just tired.

We're gonna stay up a bit longer and keep an eye on her, make sure she doesn't throw up everything she just ate but I think this was just a normal tummy ache... I probably shouldn't jump to the worst conclusions immediately but sometimes ya just can't help but worry.

Guest BleuDog

Glad to hear Baby Doll Ripley is feeling somewhat better! Yep, tummy aches, hot weather, and Gads knows what else will make them feel poorly...

Hope she is her bouncing self in the AM.....

Guest IrskasMom

Wanted to find out , how Ripley is doing ???Like People ,even Dogs can have an Off Day. An upset Tummy (No Eating ) or just not feeling so good. Hopefully, Ripley is back to her old self. Yes we tend to worry quiet a bit. :colgate

Guest Swifthounds

Glad to hear your girl is feeling better.

Just as an FYI, while it's very important to know the signs of bloat (since should it happen, time is of the essence), bloat and GDV are actually very rare in NGA greyhounds, especially when compared with other similarly built dogs. You may want to pick up some simethicone drops to keep on hand just in case. They aren't a replacement for vet care int he case of bloat, but they can buy you time.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear your baby isn't feeling well.

There does seem to be a GI (stomach) bug going around. My friend's greyt has it. I'd feed a BLAND diet of boiled chicken and rice and maybe add some unflavored yogurt. You can give a Pepcid Ac, as well, and maybe a Gas-X.

Are Ripley's gums nice an pink? This is important. Could also be the HEAT! It has been almost 100 degrees in this area, and mine are very lethargic, as am I.

DO keep us posted. Sending hugs and good luck!

Guest Nytingale

Update 2.0:

While she's not quite her bouncing self she's definitely better. She's upbeat and tail wagging if a little more subdued than usual. We went on a short walk this morning and her poo was... rock hard so I'm guessing there was a lil constipation going on. no wonder her tummy was feeling icky.

Somehow I as under the impression bloat was somewhat common in greyhounds... ridiculously relieved to know it's relatively rare!

Bloat comes from eating then going outside and running and playing , what happens is the stomach gets twisted cutting off blood supply and death within a few hours if not operated on , I know had it happen too a boxer I had.

Actually, studies and people's experiences show that bloat can come from many things and from no discernible factors at all. There's a whole article about it in the brand new Celebrating Greyhounds magazine, in fact. Running after eating is obviously a bad idea, but many many dogs have unfortunately gotten bloat and torsion without a single recognizable risk factor -- two I know personally (not greys) within the last month or so, unfortunately.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad