What Could Cause Leaky Pee?

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

William just turned 6, we'd had him for a year and a half. He was completely housebroken when we brought him home, and as far as we know, hasn't had any accidents except until about a month or 2 ago.

I started noticing small yellow spots on the carpet in the living room (I would say anywhere from the size of a dime to a nickle), some on the sheet on the sofa he lays on, and even sometimes pee spots on his leg when he'd just laying on the floor. I think he may lick the pee when he does this sometimes trying to "clean up"

Tonight we came home and I think he must had peed a bit on our bed (fitted sheet and matress pad, but thankfully not on the mattress) and left a pretty big licking spot.

We live in an apartment and he gets 4 walks a day. A 15/20 min walk at 6:45ish, a 30 min walk mid day around 1:30, an after work walk for about 30-40 min, sometimes longer depending on weather, and a quick 5-7 min. walk around the block before bed.

Are there any medical things that can cause slight loss of bladder control? He's not loosing it completely- just a very few drops. He still pees plenty when we bring him out for walks. We are planning a trip to the vet soon, so we're going to ask then, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this experience and if there is a simple fix that I may be missing.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

** I spoke with the vet earlier today, and the sample we brought in from Saturday morning was perfectly normal- no crystals, bacteria, high proteins, etc. so he's not exactly sure what it is. He is still guessing some sort of sheath infection or prostate inflamation, but he felt the prostate Saturday and said it seemed fine. He said that if it doesn't clear up, x-rays may be in order. (I'm really hoping it clears up)

I guess we just run the course of meds and see what happens now. Regardless, I'm renting a Rug Dr Sunday to clean up some spots because I just don't think that yellow spots on our carpet will complement our living room decor tongue.gif

Edited by UESBrindle

He could have a UTI. I'd have them check him. As far as the big wet spots from licking, I have several who love to lick anything covered with material.:rolleyes: They will lick my sheets, dog beds, the sofa, whatever strikes their fancy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest UESBrindle

How does a dog get a UTI? What is the fix for a UTI?

Can I just give him some cranberry juice? :huh

...also he has also has some white discharge, and I didn't think it was related so I was just dabbing it off with a tissue

Edited by UESBrindle

Guest Samantha

William just turned 6, we'd had him for a year and a half. He was completely housebroken when we brought him home, and as far as we know, hasn't had any accidents except until about a month or 2 ago.

I started noticing small yellow spots on the carpet in the living room (I would say anywhere from the size of a dime to a nickle), some on the sheet on the sofa he lays on, and even sometimes pee spots on his leg when he'd just laying on the floor. I think he may lick the pee when he does this sometimes trying to "clean up"

Tonight we came home and I think he must had peed a bit on our bed (fitted sheet and matress pad, but thankfully not on the mattress) and left a pretty big licking spot.

We live in an apartment and he gets 4 walks a day. A 15/20 min walk at 6:45ish, a 30 min walk mid day around 1:30, an after work walk for about 30-40 min, sometimes longer depending on weather, and a quick 5-7 min. walk around the block before bed.

Are there any medical things that can cause slight loss of bladder control? He's not loosing it completely- just a very few drops. He still pees plenty when we bring him out for walks. We are planning a trip to the vet soon, so we're going to ask then, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this experience and if there is a simple fix that I may be missing.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Some kind of urinary infection maybe? are you sure its pee and not a some discharge from his...hoo hoo :unsure . Either way i would take a pee sample in for your vet. Im sure some you will get some good advice on here anyways :)

Edited by Samantha

A UTI (urinary tract infection) is cleared up with antibiotics. The white stuff may also be part of an infection. A vet visit is probably in order. I would bring a pee sample in. You can get a sample by using a (clean) pie plate and sliding it under him while he's peeing. Or you can use a ladle to try and catch the pee.

Guest KennelMom

Yeah, I'd want to rule out a UTI. He's a bit young for age-related incontinence...I've seen it at 10, but that's the earliest. I'd say a vet visit is in order.

(if he sleeps on your bed, you may want to get a waterproof mattress protector 'just in case')

They'll also want to check his urine for signs of crystals. Some dogs just produce crystals in their urine, and they can irritate the tract and the bladder. The discharge is most likely normal boy discharge.

:colgate

And Georgie could KNOT believe his "gud frend" William didn't just ask him--the king of pee!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

I vote for a UTI here, too. In addition, he could also have a sheath infection like Curfew gets from time to time (**his is from e-coli), which makes his penis "leak," as well. You might want to be sure he hasn't got a penile discharge, too. If so, the vet should see him, and he/she will probably culture it, like they did with Curfew.

Hoping you get this cleared up soon! Good Luck!

Guest UESBrindle

Heading to the vet at 9:30 and hopefully they can figure it out quickly. Now I know what I should be asking about!

Thanks everyone :)

Guest greyt2love

Good luck, Elizabeth . I hope it's nothing more than a UTI. We've had those here, and they clear up well with antibiotics. Between age and late neutering, Rex had some incontinence from the time I brought him home, but he was almost 10. As Judy said, I would think William is too young for that to be an issue.

Guest UESBrindle

The vet will send on the sample we took this morning and call me back on Monday to tell me what it turns up. He seemed to think it was possibly a sheath infection, but wasn't certain, so we'll know more when he calls Monday.

I feel bad for not bringing him in sooner; he hasn't shown any signs of discomfort or acting irregularly, but I'm glad it should be an easy fix. He's on antibiotics for 10 days unless we find anything else different from the test.

He's a bit young for age-related incontinence...I've seen it at 10, but that's the earliest. I'd say a vet visit is in order.

Two of our grey girls (Darcy and Bonny) developed incontinence issues when they were around 7 y/o, so I wouldn't rule it out either. I'd still have him checked for a UTI first.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest KennelMom

He's a bit young for age-related incontinence...I've seen it at 10, but that's the earliest. I'd say a vet visit is in order.

Two of our grey girls (Darcy and Bonny) developed incontinence issues when they were around 7 y/o, so I wouldn't rule it out either. I'd still have him checked for a UTI first.

For a female it wouldn't surprise me...that's usually spay-related, not really age related though. My Haley developed spay incontinence at 5.

For a female it wouldn't surprise me...that's usually spay-related, not really age related though. My Haley developed spay incontinence at 5.

Ah... that would make sense. I've only had grey girls, so no experience with the boys. It sounded like it might be a UTI - hopefully so since they are generally easily resolved with antibiotics.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer is a leaker and it's due to herniated disc up in his shoulder area which also causes him backend weakness. He can't tell when he's done peeing and will walk around doing it in the back yard. He also gets excited and leaks too. I pretty much have learned to take him outside the instant I come home from whereever I have been and the first thing when I wake up in the morning. Then I have to go outside with him to make sure he's finished completely before coming back inside. This all started when Spencer turned 8 y/o.

Guest UESBrindle

Spencer is a leaker and it's due to herniated disc up in his shoulder area which also causes him backend weakness. He can't tell when he's done peeing and will walk around doing it in the back yard. He also gets excited and leaks too. I pretty much have learned to take him outside the instant I come home from whereever I have been and the first thing when I wake up in the morning. Then I have to go outside with him to make sure he's finished completely before coming back inside. This all started when Spencer turned 8 y/o.

Which appeared first in his case, the backend weakness or the leaking? I haven't seen any signs of pain or discomfort, but I will keep this in mind- thank you.

I think he may do it when he's excited about going out. This morning at the side of my bed I felt a slightly wet spot. He started whining at 6:10 but we left at 6:30. He got his night walk from 10-10:15. I think I will just work on getting up at first whine, although once this clears up, I hope he doesn't think he can get me out of bed at 5:45 on weekends...

did your vet offer up any other ideas?

Just sheath infection and inflamed prostate, then x-rays would be needed.

He's a new vet for us- we just moved in January and we saw him for the well-dog exam in February, and he has 2 greyhounds of his own, so he's familliar with the breed, but the lack of explanation didn't really make me feel so wonderful...

Edited by UESBrindle

Guest Spencers_Greyt

The backend weakness showed up first then the leaking. Spencer has never been in any pain from the herniated disc, it just affects his spine/nerves so that he's weak and leaks. There have been times when he was totally incontinent but that was back in the beginning.

Guest Tenderhearts

Spencer is a leaker and it's due to herniated disc up in his shoulder area which also causes him backend weakness. He can't tell when he's done peeing and will walk around doing it in the back yard. He also gets excited and leaks too.

This is exactly what happened with my first greyhound Bart, and the vet was completely stumped when it turned out he didn't have a UTI. He did in fact have a bulging disc in the shoulder area. He would leak when walking in the house. Up until the disc issue, he had a bladder of steel!

Just thought I would pass this on as a remote possibility. I would think you would have noticed him having trouble peeing during your walks though. This is from Dr. Feeman's excellent "Greyhound Medical Idiosyncrasies" paper.

Male Greyhounds can suffer from a condition known as Dysuria or “tying up.” This

condition is more common in active racers but can occasionally carry over into pethood.

The clinical signs seen with this condition are normally associated with some stressful

event (hospitalization, anesthesia, a long haul, over-exercise) and consist of urethral

spasms which prevent the dog from urinating normally. Greyhounds suffering from

dysuria will strain to urinate with only drops coming out. Some of these dogs may also

continue to leak urine slowly over an extended period. Some veterinarians not familiar

with the condition may mistakenly recommend urethral scoping or a bladder biopsy.

Treatment consists of catheterization three times daily as needed and drug therapy

(typically some form of a muscle relaxer). The condition often takes 2-5 days to resolve.

Jane

Guest sirsmom

We've had this in 2 females that took a drug called phenopropronolamine. But this was 10 yrs ago and they probably prescribe something else now. I just remember if I forgot to give them this one day, the leaking came back immediately. I don't know about males with this problem--maybe more of an infection issue.

Guest UESBrindle

Did they culture the urine?

Is a culture different than running tests at a lab? I know they sent it off, but not exactly sure what they did with it. What would a culture show?

He hasn't had any sort of stressful situation that I can think of that would trigger this, and he's not straining to pee when he is outside-- he's not normally and it's coming out in usual amounts, not small drops. The drops are only when he's inside.

This morning I woke up earlier- he whined at 6:05, I took him out at 6:10, and before he got up, I checked his leg and there were a few drops on his leg, we're half way through his medicine now, so I would have thought they would be working by now :(