Eye Problems

Guest Fasave

Guest Fasave

Last night I noticed that Thunder was sitting around with his eyes closed. I thought he was just tired because I am taking care of a couple of greyhounds who are a little spooky so our routine was a little off. This morning there was a little discharge from one eye and both eyes look a little red. He's still keeping his eyes closed so I'll try to get in with the vet today. Hopefully, just a little infection that we can clear up quickly. Other thoughts or questions I should ask? Also, if it's something like pink eye, how concerned do I need to be with the other hounds in the house? Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest Energy11

They can get eye infections just like we can. You can use warm water on a washcloth to gently wipe his eyes to get the "gook," out of the corners. Most likely it is an infection, OR in some cases, it can be bad allergies.

Usually the vet will give you some drops or ointment, or both. Good Luck. Eyes are never anything to mess with, and a vet visit is a very good idea.

Guest happygrey

Tatam just got over a bout of idiopathic uevitis recently. He was walking around squinting all the time which is why I brought him in. He needed a course of steroid drops and several followup appts w/ a doggie eye doc ($$!). No real advice -- just that it's good you're bringing Thunder in -- some of these eye conditions can be quite painful (according to the doggie eye doc).

I think the only real eye issue that greys tend toward having more frequently than other breeds is Pannus.

:goodluck Fingers crossed that it's just an infection.

Edited by happygrey

Hi Melissa

Hopefully it's just conjunctivitis and will respond well to abx ointment or drops. Other possibilities would be corneal abrasions from foreign bodies, minor trauma, etc. Glaucoma is another possible but unlikely dx.

Years ago, Kody was playing with one of those hard, indestructible balls when it struck him in the eye. He developed traumatic iritis, but this is painful, and I'd expect Thunder to be pawing at it and reluctant to open his eyes.

I always think uveitis but that's just because I have it. :P I wouldn't assume the worst, though. If your vet has any concerns, Dr. Welch over at In-Town/Woburn was very good.

Keep us posted!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Fasave

Thanks everyone. We saw the vet this morning. Diagnosis corneal ulcers both eyes. He's being treated with two different antibiotic drops, although one is only for the left eye which is worse. The vet wants to see him again on Monday morning. Poor guy looks completely stoned. The vet was hopeful that within 48 hours we'd see marked improvements. That's for the lead on the vet in Woburn. Hopefully we are already on our way to being mended.

Valentino just now finally healed from a corneal ulcer in one of his eyes. It took us 3 weeks to get it cleared up because he's a huge head rubber!:rolleyes: Trying to get him to stop rubbing his head on things was worse than putting in the drops.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee