Licking Mud

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Our 6 year old Spinner has had a tendency off and on to lick dirt, especially the smelly dirt near the base of on old locust tree. I covered up that spot, and we haven't had a problem until he was out weeding with me in the yard today and lay down and began licking the dirt through his muzzle where I'd uprooted plantain weeds. When I tried to move him away, he growled, so I leashed him up and took him in, but now I'm wondering: How often is licking/eating dirt behavioral and how often medical?

Spinner is the picture of health, though a bit chubby since Wizard's illness (when we were desperately trying to get Wizard to eat, it was hard not to give the other dogs tidbits, too). He is full of energy and attitude. Is this really something I need to consult a vet about, or is it likely just that the dirt is fun to lick?

Edited by SusanP

I have several that like to get into the dirt and mud. I don't think it's anything medical because all of mine (knock on wood) are healthy at the moment. I gave up and got stool guards for their muzzles because I didn't want them eating the dirt or grass.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Licking is nothing! I'd be happy with licking. Three of mine will actually eat it like it was candy. puke.gif They have specific spots in the yard that seem particularly tasty - I have no idea why *those* spots and not others. It's mostly in the Spring though, so as soon as the mud dries out, the dirt-eating does too. dunno.gif

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Licking is nothing! I'd be happy with licking. Three of mine will actually eat it like it was candy. puke.gif They have specific spots in the yard that seem particularly tasty - I have no idea why *those* spots and not others. It's mostly in the Spring though, so as soon as the mud dries out, the dirt-eating does too. dunno.gif

Yup! Gustopher P Jones will never starve out in the yard. He LOVES to eat dirt, especially from under the avacado tree. Its even worse when I call him in and he runs up to the back door with his big smile and mouth full of dirt.....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star