Beau- Things Are Heading In The Wrong Direction

Robin, I am overseas right now (reading this from a public computer)so I´ve only just seen this. I am so, so sorry you are going through this AGAIN. And poor Beau Beau :cry1 Please eat, Beau! :hope

I am sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck and will try to check in again as soon as I can...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you and Beau are going through this. Your frustration is understandable. Your try so hard with your babies, and have gone through so much.

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts. Beau, baby boy, you just have to eat!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

This is totally out of left field. I have no idea if it's a good thing or not, but you can decide.

Jade is on diazepam (anti anxiety med). It really doesn't seem to do anything to her anxiety but BOY has it increased her appetite. I don't know if he shouldn't even be thinking about another med. If it'll hurt his IBD. But maybe you can throw it past your vet.

Just a thought.

I hope he rebounds without it.

This is totally out of left field. I have no idea if it's a good thing or not, but you can decide.

Jade is on diazepam (anti anxiety med). It really doesn't seem to do anything to her anxiety but BOY has it increased her appetite. I don't know if he shouldn't even be thinking about another med. If it'll hurt his IBD. But maybe you can throw it past your vet.

Just a thought.

I hope he rebounds without it.

Yes, for some dogs and most cats valium is an appetite increaser. But not for Beau, of course. It used to give Polli the munchies!!! :lol:lol:lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm curious...do dogs with IBD not eat because they don't have an appetite, they are in pain, or some other reason?

Come on Beau, Beau, whatever the reason, you gotta stay strong and healthy sweetie.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh goodness, hon, this just plain sucks.

C'mon Beau, eat and fill that empty tummy. You'll feel so much better!!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I'm curious...do dogs with IBD not eat because they don't have an appetite, they are in pain, or some other reason?

Come on Beau, Beau, whatever the reason, you gotta stay strong and healthy sweetie.

The fear is the beginning of a flare up which is why we took him off the budesonide and restarted the pred.

Were you on the board when Beau went from 68 pounds to 53.4 pounds? We thought it was over but we pushed and pushed and got the pred into him which made the intestinal inflammation go down and he started eating AND absorbing. We never want to go there again. We were feeding him every 3 hours round the clock. Literally set the alarm for 2 and 5 AM to let him out to pee and eat. He was on 50 of prednesone.

It was a crazy time and Polli was going though her chemo.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Swifthounds

Have you tried force feeding some soft food? Sometimes, especially if a health issue is driving the lack of appetite, it's the only way to get food into them to keep their strength up.

Have you tried force feeding some soft food? Sometimes, especially if a health issue is driving the lack of appetite, it's the only way to get food into them to keep their strength up.

That would be one of the worst things to do for a IBD who could be flaring. I do appreciate the ideas.

IBD is very unique in how it works. And, what works for one dog, food wise- could kill another. We know what works. We know what he can and can't eat. We, unfortunately have been down this road before. I was hoping we wouldn't have to do it again.

The pred WILL kick in and start his appetite going and relieve any inflammation he may have. As of now, he is acting OK. And I know my dog. When he is off, even a little, I know it. He is otherwise happy and just slightly subdued for him.

And just so you know, he ate 1/3 of a can of z/d frozen into a hoofie.

For dinner he ate 2 cups of kibble. So far for today 746 calories but who is counting?

Just adding our well wishes for your beautiful Beau......Hope things head in the right direction soon.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest IHeartDogs

Robin, you already know the ins and outs of IBD and many IBD dogs flare up every once in a while for no apparent reason. You're doing everything correctly...Come on sweet Beau, eat for your mama and kick this flare up!

Edited by IHeartDogs

The best part is that you've caught it early with your great mommy's intuition. You can get him turned around and feeling great before he ever really starts to feel AWFUL :)

We have to play that game with Sutra and his pancreatitis. It can flare up. If something is just a little bit *off* with him, we get it checked out right away before we fall into a hole.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We are on day 3 of pred. Only 10mg but he did eat a little today.

So far he had 2 1/3 cups of kibble and 2/3 can of his wet food. He gets the wet in his hoofie and then they are frozen so when everyone get's their evening snacky, Beau gets a hoofie. OH BOY, Beau, a hoofie! We have 3 freezers in this house. One in the kitchen for us and some dog food. 2 in the garage. One for Ollie's food and one for Beau's hoofies.

We do have other things in the garage freezer. But Ollie has his own freezer!

Robin..sending hugs to you and Beau...hopefully this will be short lived since you "caught" it early. I can truly say I feel your pain....going through the IBD thing with Flex (Ig) again as well...it really SUCKS..Dr. L..started him in carafate and he was doing good..appetite back, no more bloody poops or blood in vomit. She suggested I "test" him and skip carafte, just give pepcid at bedtime. Did that..and same day..he stole a treat from Garry. Next day it started all over again. so, I totally understand and feel for you and Beau..i am intersted in the IBD group.

Guest Paige12

Robin, no advice, cause I only know what I've learned from reading all this, but wanted to say how sorry I am for all this stress you're going through. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Beth & the gang

Guest TeddysMom

I was just thinking about Beau this morning and hoping that he is eating and feeling better.

Edited by TeddysMom

Back from vet with 3 dogs! Beau's up 1.5 pounds. So... that works. He had blood taken but we don't expect anything to show up. Just routine because of the steroids. All she said was he may have to bounce between pred and budesonide- the 10mg of pred is not even theraputic dosage for a GH- we are only using it as a appetite stimulant. We had to stand on our heads this morning but we did manage to get one cup of kibble in him.

he is walking so much better and is walking the long walks with the pack. We let him tell us if he wants to go. If he feels ok, he wants to walk- if he doesn't feel ok- he runs upstairs and we let him be.

We will continue with acupunture and hope the eating picks up.

Guest laceyj

So sorry you and Beau are having to go through this. Sending hugs and kissed from brother Bandit. Eat and feel better beautiful beau.

So glad things seem to be improving Robin! What are hoofies? (Spencer's nudging me to ask!) wink.gif

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).