Jumping Junebug!

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Guest Mommy2Junebug

I started noticing this past weekend, that Junebug has been jumping up on people when she gets really excited. She doesn't do it aggressively, she's doing it because she's happy. It's sweet, but it's not a behavior we want to encourage.

On Saturday, when I got home from the grocery store, she jumped on me and caught her dew-claw on the tie-neck of my blouse, causing her to yelp in pain :ohno

Later, she jumped on me when it was time to go for a walk, knocking my glasses off my face and leaving a large scratch on my neck. :shakefinger

And last night, one of our friends brought over his new girlfriend. Bug liked her so much that she jumped on her and knocked her to the floor! :sad1

I tell her "no!" and "down!" which she seems to understand, but what can I do to prevent her from jumping in the first place? TIA!

My Sage is a jumper. One thing you can try, when you first get home, IGNORE HER completely and turn your back to her. Do not say a word, do not look at her. (Yes she will probably be jumping off your back). Wait until she calms down and then say hello. If she starts to get jumpy again, turn your back. This may take time and consistency. When you have guests over, have them do the same. Another thing you can do, which what I'm doing with Sage, is the second I walk trough the door, I literally drop my belongings, go right up to her and make her sit or lay down. I stand there and make her stay until she's calm. (She's still writhing on the floor like a worm though :rolleyes:) Once Sage is calm I then say hello and give her love while calmly telling her to relax. Sometimes I think she's gonna give herself a heart attack with all her crazy jumping!

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Teach her a reliable "sit" or "down (such as a lie down). Every time you are doing something that will excite her, she gets the command, and nothing happens until she does it. To help with this behavior, make her do it before you feed her, she will get good with the command really quick when she wants dinner. Also, you know what her triggers are, so when there is a trigger about to happen, be sure to be calm, dont feed into her emotion. Also, who did you adopt through? If you adopted through GO, then call the number that is on your adoption contract and ask for help. The person that should answer the phone is Sue. You can tell her Chad said to call, or just call me - 630-272-8178. You can call me even if you didnt adopt through GO. By the way, were you at Oak Park Days this past weekend? My wife and I were there with our foster Ruby and our boy Bart, we may have already met.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Teach her a reliable "sit" or "down (such as a lie down). Every time you are doing something that will excite her, she gets the command, and nothing happens until she does it. To help with this behavior, make her do it before you feed her, she will get good with the command really quick when she wants dinner. Also, you know what her triggers are, so when there is a trigger about to happen, be sure to be calm, dont feed into her emotion. Also, who did you adopt through? If you adopted through GO, then call the number that is on your adoption contract and ask for help. The person that should answer the phone is Sue. You can tell her Chad said to call, or just call me - 630-272-8178. You can call me even if you didnt adopt through GO. By the way, were you at Oak Park Days this past weekend? My wife and I were there with our foster Ruby and our boy Bart, we may have already met.

Chad

Hi Chad,

I think I did meet you at Oak Park Days this past weekend. I definitely remember Ruby and Bart! My name's Vanessa, and Junebug is my little fawn girl who I'd had for just 5 days. My adoption rep/foster mom was Tricia G. I'll give her a call if it becomes a real issue. DBF and I are discussing ways to change this behavior with her. Also, she's new to us - had her for 1 week today - so that may have something to do with it.

Edited by Mommy2Junebug

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Vanessa,

One other thing you can do to help curb the jumping is to have the new person get down to the hounds level (kneel down) whenever someone new meets the hound. I do this all the time when I meet a new grey just so that it is not being encouraged to jump. Your girl probably was allowed/encouraged to jump up and give hugs while racing, so it is a behavior that you will probably need to work on. Of course she is so new, her behaviors will change on a weekly basis for the next few months. I strongly recommend you enroll in the K9 Windy City obedience class that is put on by GO. It is filled with only other greyhounds as well as being led by a person that owns greyhounds so the training formulated specifically for the uniqueness of greyhounds background. Also, if you ever need a good greyhound sitter, call me and I have someone that lives in Naperville that is OUTSTANDING. She deals with broken leg hounds from the Dubuque track so there is absolutely no worries about if your hound will be well cared for. And not to mention her prices are better than just about everyone else ($15/day). She is the only place my hounds will stay. I do remember Junebug, cute little fawn. I love the fawn girls, one of my favorite foster girls was a fawn.

Chad

Guest mcsheltie

My new girl, now that she is settling in, has started jumping on me when she gets excited. The first time she did it I let out an ear piecing owwww. Like I was a puppy who had just been bitten. Call it the HSOD :lol She put four on the floor and backed away from me. I turned my back on her went about my business. I've only had to do it again once. Now she jumps in the air in front of me, but stays off me. So she did get the message.

Guest mcsheltie

The other thing to try is when you come in the door, if she acts like a lunatic is go back out. Then you don't have to stand there with your back turned getting mauled. Close the door, wait for minute, come back in. Keep repeating that until she settles down.

If you are already home, say you are going for a walk, drop the leash as soon as she displays unwanted behavior and go in another room and shut the door. Wait a minute, come out and try it again. The first few days it will seem like forever until you get the desired response. But once they start to get it the training goes faster and faster. And this keeps them from tearing up your back!

Guest Linusmom

My big guy quickly learned the meaning of "no!" (Of course, I don't say it very often...) He's also picked up on "easy" and "budge up, I gotta drive!"

Teach her a reliable "sit" or "down (such as a lie down). Every time you are doing something that will excite her, she gets the command, and nothing happens until she does it.

This is what we do for walkies -- dog has to sit before the leash goes on. It takes some perseverance on the part of the human, but they do learn.

While she is learning "Easy" or "No jump" in other contexts, may help to have a harness on her instead of just a collar -- easier to hold her against your leg like a suitcase so she can't overindulge her excitement.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.