Licking A Wound

Guest StarsMama

Guest StarsMama

Star had her dental last week. The spot on her leg where the shaved to put the iv in, she has now licked to the point of raw. Ive tried to put Mr. Yuk around it with liquid bandage over the open spot, but she licks it like a fiend anyway. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get her to stop? Should I try to wrap it? Any help would be great.

Guest EmilyandSioux

Call the vet and ask what they used to sedate her with. If they used propofal will if it gets out of the vein will cause problems with the skin sloughing off. I would call and just ask the vet it might avoid a problem. I have seen it happen but that is because I have been in the vet field for years.

We had a vet tech at the office who was famous for shaving too close.

Last time it happened to one of my dogs, I had to keep his leg bandaged for weeks until it finally healed and the hair started to grow back.

I also used the Wound Kote which did an amazing job on healing

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Anna is a licker. The only thing that worked was a muzzle with a stool cup.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Recently for a small wound on Nina's leg, my vet gave her Otic (ear) solution and she added Baytril to it. She said the otic solution tasted yucky but was also good for skin infections, as was the Baytril.

She told me to put the drops on Nina's leg while she was eating. By the time she was done the solution has been absorbed and Nina had no interest in licking it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png