My Lunch With Dr. Couto

I had lunch with Dr. Couto Saturday after the OSU remembrance ceremony. We talked some about the financial health of the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program and about the website issues that greytalkers have mentioned. Unfortunately, there have only been ¼ the contributions this year versus last year. While everyone realizes that the poor economic climate has affected donations, people still need to be paid. This has created quite a bit of concern from Dr. Couto’s bosses. As you may know, the greyhound program is not funded by the University and is funded solely through donations and grants. He either needs to raise more money or disband the program. He is working on several grant requests and has received an extension to an existing grant. This will fund one of his greyhound veterinarians through February 2010. He is also working on a proposal for a large ($4 million) grant request to fund some new research.

He is quite excited about the potential new research studies on the horizon. One will map the greyhound genome and follow several greyhounds through their lives. They will compare illnesses to the individual’s genome in hopes of recognizing some genetic bases of greyhound medical issues. He has approached the National Institute of Health (human health) with the concept of applying his research to humans (and thus gaining some financial support from them).

In case you weren’t aware, funding for research and funding for the greyhound health and wellness program are two separate things. Funding available for research projects is typically not available for day to day greyhound health issues. Different funding is required for the non-study related expenses.

In regards to the website:

He has heard your concerns and is addressing them. There is a meeting this week to discuss the issues and to look at possible changes.

- Basic information – they are looking at the possibility of putting basic information back on the free portion of the website

- January to December membership – they are hoping to provide pro-rated membership fees (i.e. if you sign up in June you will pay half the fee). This is apparently easier and less costly to implement than running subscriptions for 365 days from the day you sign up

- The possibility of including the registration to the OSU Annual Greyhound Health And Wellness Conference in the annual membership

- They will continue to do consults, even if you are not a member of the program. However, web-based consults will automate the process of obtaining consultation metrics, something necessary in the business plan for the Service. In other words, they won’t have to spend valuable time and money compiling the statistics on the consults that they do.

- Price – they will discuss this. However, they do need to raise the maximum amount they can. Unfortunately, there are no hard numbers predicting how many people will sign up for various price points.

- Fee for consultations – this is something that Dr. Couto really prefers not to do. I didn’t get to talk to him at length about this, so there are some assumptions of my own here:

1) He doesn’t want to turn away anyone who can’t pay the fee. People who need the consults are likely facing large expenses and he wants their greyhound to get the best care that they can. He doesn’t want to impact their care by charging a fee.

2) The logistics for collecting the fee are problematic at this time.

Dr. Couto is the most altruistic veterinarian I have ever met. He could go elsewhere and make a whole lot more money. He is truly committed to the greyhounds and the people who love them.

I want to encourage you to support this valuable program. Think of your subscription to the newsletter and the website as a donation to continue the program. If you ask for a consultation and can afford it, please consider subscribing or at least making a donation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update Jane. FWIW, I don't think the conference should be included with membership - I'm sure that costs a fortune to put on. I still just want a Tshirt! tongue.gif

How was the ceremony?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thank you for this. I just paid for a membership. We need to keep this program alive.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest lynne893

Here is Ohio State University's Greyhound Wellness Program website: https://greyhound.osu.edu/ (Dr. Couto's program)

From that site, here is the link for the giving page: https://greyhound.osu.edu/giving/ (Click on the link that reads, "Click here to give to the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program securely.")

I just donated. I think I'd made a gift in 2009. Even small contributions like $10 or $25 make a difference. Do what you can. If $100 or $1,000 really isn't sweat off your back, please give.

I am a fundraiser by profession and it really does come down to giving what's suitable in your budget. Even when you don't have a pot to pee in, so to speak, you can still contribute a small amount (especially if you're paying for internet access and spend time on Greytalk!)

Thank you.

Thanks for the update Jane. FWIW, I don't think the conference should be included with membership - I'm sure that costs a fortune to put on. I still just want a Tshirt! tongue.gif

How was the ceremony?

The ceremony was quite moving. OSU has a social worker assigned to the vet hospital on a full time basis. She not only counsels the vets and students who see a lot of difficult things, but also is present for many of the euthanasias and is there for the owners.

She started the program and was brought to tears by memories of her beloved dog. Dr. Urie (one of the oncology residents) also spoke with both tears and laughter. She talked about how at age four (after visiting a vet) she announced to her family (who raised beef cattle) that she was going to be a "vegetarian". After many protests she held her ground and insisted on becoming a "vegetarian". Her Dad said "Over his dead body". They eventually figured out that she wanted to be a veterinarian and gave her complete support. She spoke about her pets and the loss that she feels.

Then a member of clergy who provides counseling for a veterinary group that provides home euthanasia spoke. This was followed up by the "tree ceremony". Owners were invited to write a remembrance on a paper heart (which contained wild flower seeds) and place it on a tree. When the rain "melts" the paper, the seeds will fall and create a wildflower garden.

I shed a lot of tears for the hounds that I knew who lost their lives this past year. I hung hearts for six hounds who I was involved with through the OSU Support Group. I placed a heart and shed even more tears for Tattoo. I fostered sweet little Tooey for 6 weeks before he lost his battle with raging infections. He sure touched a lot of people in his short life, even inspiring his adoptive Mom to change careers and study veterinary technology. Dr. Couto liked to call him "dude".

Okay, now I am crying again. It is amazing how quickly they worm their way into my heart.

Jane

I should mention that the event was paid for by Shoedinger Funeral Home. They provide individual pet cremation in the Columbus area.

Edited by joejoesmom

Done.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest smarthound

The Greyhound Alliance is sponsoring a "Greyhound Health and Wellness" seminar in the Chicago area. Dr. Couto will be speaking August 14 from 1-5 p.m. We are inviting greyhound adopters and veterinarians to this 4 hour presentation. The cost is $35 per person and all proceeds will be donated to Dr. Couto's program. Here's a way to support the OSU program and while enjoying an informative and entertaining afternoon with Dr. Couto.

Register here Greyhound Alliance

Thanks for addressing out concerns Jane. I guess it's time to work harder on getting the word out that this is a program that's very survival depends on donations.

Cheque for the quilt auction for Hope for Hounds has been mailed, $1.600.00 USD. Now, to start working on the Miss Nellie Auction, mark your callendars for October 24th. Start thinking donations people, we raised over $16,000.00 last year for OSU's GHWP think we can beat that?

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thanks for addressing out concerns Jane. I guess it's time to work harder on getting the word out that this is a program that's very survival depends on donations.

Cheque for the quilt auction for Hope for Hounds has been mailed, $1.600.00 USD. Now, to start working on the Miss Nellie Auction, mark your callendars for October 24th. Start thinking donations people, we raised over $16,000.00 last year for OSU's GHWP think we can beat that?

Heck yeah!!! I know one group of GTers that are sure going to try to make OUR donation raise more money!

Putting my thinking cap on!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Bump for GHWP. The lives of our hounds may depend on it.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest hlpnhounds

Thank you for posting this. :thumbs-up Sometimes I think we tend to concentrate on all of the stuff we can get for free without thinking of giving back to the source at least once in a while. :brick

Thank goodness for the Greyhound Health & Wellness Program !!! We need to help them as they have helped us !!! :gh_child

I posted the Greyhound Health and Wellness T-shirt in the Pet Merchandise section. $5.00 from each shirt will go to The Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. The logo now reads "Ohio State Greyhound Program" instead of the "OSU Greyhound Program". The marketing dept at OSU asked Suzieq to change the logo. Too many OSU's around. This is good, Ohio State wants to be known for the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program.

OhioStateGP16x25.jpg

Ohio State Greyhound Program T-Shirts

E-Mail : GreyhoundScrubs@hotmail.com

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/255016-ohio-state-greyhound-wellness-program-t-shirts/page__p__4576204__fromsearch__1entry4576204

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Jane, glad you guys had a goood time. I wish I could have stayed. The wellness fund is so important. Saturn started acting funny that night and we ended up right back in Onco.with another cancer dog. Dr C. was just speachless. As always he tells me he will help as much as he can with paying for treatments. Unfortunately the Hemangiosarcoma was large and growing faster than the chemo could work and we said gooodbye to Satty on Thursday with Dr. Urie by our sides. Dr. C. e-mailed me to say he was too upset to call and knew I would be too. Last year the famous Bosha died the day of the ceremony. I think I won't go next year. :(

Jane, glad you guys had a goood time. I wish I could have stayed. The wellness fund is so important. Saturn started acting funny that night and we ended up right back in Onco.with another cancer dog. Dr C. was just speachless. As always he tells me he will help as much as he can with paying for treatments. Unfortunately the Hemangiosarcoma was large and growing faster than the chemo could work and we said gooodbye to Satty on Thursday with Dr. Urie by our sides. Dr. C. e-mailed me to say he was too upset to call and knew I would be too. Last year the famous Bosha died the day of the ceremony. I think I won't go next year. :(

So sorry--not another hound :( This is exactly why Dr Couto's program must continue.

:bighug:f_pink

Guest K9_Lady

Thank you for this. I just paid for a membership. We need to keep this program alive.

I agree! I hope I never have to use it but I just paid for my membership. They have helped so many and it is well worth it!