Immunocompromized Dog Has Mange

Guest selori

Guest selori

My 2-year-old greyhound has a small patch of mange on his forehead. He has immune-mediated polyarthritis, so he is succeptable to infections, etc.

Vet says that it will probably go away on its own with the use of a microbial cream. For a more severe case of mange, dogs are given a course of nasty drugs.

Has anyone had a greyhound, with or without an immune condition, who had a case of mange? Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks, everyone.

Guest LindsaySF

What type of mange? Demodex or Sarcoptic?

Aidan (pit bull) had Demodex when we adopted him. Usually they get Demodex as a result of a weakened immune system, in response to stress, etc. We think the stress of the shelter brought it out in him. We used a cream from the vet for several weeks and it went away.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We had a grey in our racing kennel that we basically tried everything to treat his mange and nothing was working.

I went to a last ditch effort of

Nu-Stock along with antibiotic for the secondary infections.

In a week we saw improvements and in just a few weeks it was cleared up.

I swear by this stuff!

It is really stinky stuff but works. It can be found in most tack shops and also on line.

Guest Greytluv

Keep on top of it.

I think my Piglet had the worse case of Demodex mange. She was in ICU for 5 days. She was on several antibiotic for months and she finally came back with a clean scrapping. Then she got some gross fungus in her ears from all the antibiotics.

Piglet003.jpg

She was on high doses of pred for cervical myopathy. She's on nothing now and has not had a breakout in almost two years.

033.jpg

Guest selori

Yes. It is dermodex. The spot is about the size of a dime and still has a little hair on it. The cream contains Benzoyl Peroxide. Vet said that it could heal without the cream, as well, but they happened to have some at the office, so they gave it to us.

I am just worried because he is on prednisone (just went off of Imuran), which we are tapering off of slowly, but I hope it will be in time to prevent mange from spreading and any infections that might come along with it. After seeing the Piglet photo, I'm feeling very uneasy. I've inspected the spot on his forehead about 25 times today already to look for any change!!

Speaking of Piglet, I was so relieved to see the second photo of her and how healthy and beautiful she looks! What a sweet face. I am so glad she has pulled through such a hard time. Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest selori

I'm updating this post, because my greyhound's demodectic mange is getting worse. The first cream (mentioned above) was not working, and the spot began to grow, so a veterinary dermatologist suggested using Goodwinol ointment. We were very relieved when the original spot near his eve finally started to show improvement. That first spot still looks good and like the hair might start to grow back again. Unfortunately, new spots are starting to appear all over his head. They start out feeling like little tiny dots that feel like scabs. The scabs become sort of moist and then fall off, taking the hair with them. From there, the area start to spread out. He looks terrible and it's itchy.

We are going back to the vet tomorrow a.m., and I am thinking of asking about using Ivermectin treatment. I mentioned this before, but the vet wanted to hold off on any heavy-duty treatment while the condition was still considered "localized".

Has anyone done ivermectin injections or oral treatments for mange? How long did you have to treat your dog, and what was your experience? My dog already has an auto immune condition and is taking 15mg of prednisone every other day. I hate to pump more drugs into him. He has tolerated lots of meds in the past though (high doses of prednisone, Imuran, antibiotics...), so I am hopeful that he would tolerate Ivermectin. I'd like to get this under control as soon as possible. My poor little Lester!

Guest LindsaySF

Are you sure it's demodectic mange? The scabs don't sound like mange.

WAG foster Becky has IMPA and is on a lot of immunosuppressive meds. She has lots of hair loss from the meds, she also gets skin tags and scabs that eventually fall off, the vet said those are also caused by the meds.

Guest mcsheltie

Demodectic Mange can be attacked on several fronts at once. Goodwinol for the spots. Daily Ivermectin given orally and antibiotics (Cephalexin is my choice) to clear the secondary skin infection. This will usually take care of it in less than two weeks. It is common to continue treatment until clinical signs have resolved and then do another scraping.

Check that the new spots are mange and not a staph or other opportunistic skin infection.

General mange web site

Guest TeddysMom

We had a grey in our racing kennel that we basically tried everything to treat his mange and nothing was working.

I went to a last ditch effort of

Nu-Stock along with antibiotic for the secondary infections.

In a week we saw improvements and in just a few weeks it was cleared up.

I swear by this stuff!

It is really stinky stuff but works. It can be found in most tack shops and also on line.

I second the vote for Nu-Stock. It works on almost every kind of skin issue including ringworm, mange, fungus and just allergy irrited skin. You do have to get use to the smell. :P

Guest selori

Thanks, everyone. Yes, the initial scraping from the first spot was definitively diagnosed as demodectic mange. That spot started like these current spots (a little bump that became crusty and then turned into a larger red bald area). I have read that demodex can cause this kind of thing, or even little pustules. The vet did a test for fungal infection before, but perhaps there is something more going on now.

I'll have more info tomorrow. Thanks again for your replies. The info is very helpful.