Good Bye Sweet Cali

Bluesky

Our sweet Cali passed during the early Tuesday morning. She was a 1 year cancer survivor who didn't let the lack of a leg slow her down in the least.

She woke me up around 4am Tuesday morning to go out and I noticed that she was walking a bit wonky and didn't make down the stairs to the yard to do her business. I thought I would check it out later in the morning when I got up to feed the pups, so didn't worry about it. We all went back to bed, but I noticed that Cali was panting really badly. Again, I didn't worry because it's been a bit humid so I thought she was just warm. She nested a bit on her bed and went to sleep. She didn't wake up. When I went to give her her breakfast, she didn't get up and that's when I realized she had passed. She looked so peaceful, I kept waiting for her to take a breath and get up.

We got Cali 2 days after her 3rd birthday and I couldn't have been happier. We had had Vern for a couple of years and decided we needed a little girly pup to keep him company and so then along came BOC's Kaylynn. Her name was too close to my daughter's – Kayla – so we changed it to Cali. I was bouncing around with joy on the day that we were to pick her up at the adoption group! We knew we were in for an interesting time with her when she was the only one in the kennel who was barking and bouncing around! What a firecracker!

In the course of her 6 years with us, she taught us patience and to make sure we put all food items out of reach and blocked off the cat food and litter box. Our sneaky girl was so smart she could open cupboards, closets and had no problem taking things off the counters and dressers. She never knew a food she didn't like, especially if it wasn't good for her! She even teamed up with other greys to get what she wanted – remember, Janet? Takeout with Foxy!

She's given us our ups and downs, amazed us with her perseverance and any who ever met her loved her, especially children. My autistic nephew would sit and stroke her for hours and she seemed to know that was what he needed to calm down and laid patiently while he pet her fur.

What I admired most was how she adapted after her amputation. She had an infection in one of her back legs and she could still get around on mostly two legs! She sailed through chemo making new friends wherever she went. She enjoyed running with other greys and still kept up with them and still had the bunnies and squirrels in our yard on full alert! She always knew where I was in the house and if I got too far away she would follow.

I'll miss her cute roo-ing when we would come home, her bouncy helicopter tail and her smiley face when she was happy. I'll miss her kisses and playing bitey-face with her brother. I'll miss my snuggle pup and Cali-cow. Godspeed sweet girl and know you were loved. beatinghearts.gif

caliandme001.jpg

IMGP0609.jpg

Cali's Hope for Hounds Story

Vicky and my best boys Vern (Rockin Big Mike) and Wil (Deco Abilene Wil).

Missing my best girl Cali (BOC's Kaylynn) at the Bridge.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an amazing beauty she had. I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, lovely princess Cali.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry for your loss. Cali was such a beautiful girlie and sounds like she was quite a spitfire.wub.gif

Godspeed Baby Girlflowers_pink.gif

Guest dobiegrey

What an amazing gift to both you and her to pass quietly in her sleep, on her bed at home. God Bless you all and God Speed Sweet Cali

Lou

I am sorry for your loss of Cali. She sounds like quite the character. She was a fighter and a trooper.

Run free sweet girl, run free... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed beautiful Cali!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I'm sorry....your Cali sounds like she was quite a girl. We should all be as lucky as she was....sad for those left behind but so peaceful for her. grouphug.gif to you.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

They are so amazing these hounds that fall into our lives. They teach us things we never knew should be important. They are stong, brave, smart and silly and meet each new day with the unbridled happiness of a child at play. They are content with a belly rub, find joy in a stuffie to bully and want nothing more than to be where we are. They trust us implicitly to do what is right for them, care for them, love them. What we get in return is so precious and rare in this complicated world we live in and is there for anyone to have if they only open their eyes and heart to it, the unconditional love of a hound for its human. Cali seems to have been one of those hounds that change lives for the better. I'm happy that she had such an inspiring impact on those who knew her,loved her and learned from her. I will celebrate her life with you and hope that your heart heals true and well. Thank you for sharing your beautiful hound and her story with us.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest greyt2love

I'm so sorry Cali had to leave you, but I am happy it was a gentle, quiet passing for her. She sounds like a wonderful , happy girl, and she certainly was beautiful !!