Sunny Isn't Doing Well Today

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Sunny had his "last chance" chemo therapy on Thursday - an 8 hr infusion. He was doing good yesterday - even jumped up on the couch and half laid in my lap while I was eating and kept poking my arm with his head to make sure I would share with him. :wub: This morning he wouldn't take his pills wrapped in ham, so I had to fight to get them down. And he wouldn't eat any breakfast. Then about 9:30 am he threw up - totally undigested rice and chicken that looked almost exactly like it did before he ate it. He had rice and chicken for dinner around 6:30 pm and then the same thing for a bed time snack around 9pm.

The oncologist wrote 2 medications he could take for nausea on the back of his discharge orders and said I could get them at my local vet if he needed them. The vet here had no idea what the one drug was or dosage but did give us the other one. About 5 minutes after getting it down Sunny he vomited - again undigested rice and chicken so I took him in for an injection this time.

I am not too worried about the nausea itself, although he has not had it with any of the other chemo treatments. But having undigested food in his stomach 12 hours after eating has me concerned that maybe the cancer has grown internally and has caused a blockage. The vet advised me to take him back over to Seattle (about a 3 hr drive each way) if he continues to have problems.

Sunny1-1.jpg

Edited by zoolaine

Sending prayers and gentle hugs for Sunny and yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for Sunny's problems. Please let me know if you need any help or support or just company in Seattle. My thoughts are with you and Sunny.

bighug.gif

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest zoolaine

Sunny still hasn't eaten all day but has had a little water. Now though his diarrhea is bloody. I called the vet center in Seattle - they are also a 24 hr emergency clinic but the ER vets are kinda lame. Talked to one and she said he should get checked since he isn't eating or digesting but really didn't say anything about if this is just temporary from the chemo or could be internal cancer. So it really isn't worth driving 3 hrs to see the emergency vet and the oncologist he was seeing had her last day on friday, so I can call Monday and try to talk to the internal medicine doctor that is taking over the cancer patients. BUt I think I will take him to the ER vet here in town, maybe they can do an ultrasound and see what is going on. I need to know if this is just temporary side effects from his chemo and he will fell better in a few days or if this is a serious advancement of the cancer. Hard to believe that he can go from happy and eating to miserable overnight.

:(

Really hoping it is just side effects from his chemo and he will get thru it soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zoolaine

Sunny gets to come home!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay The ER vet said his blood work was good except for borderline low protein (which is due to his Protein Losing Enteropathy, so nothing new), his x-rays showed a little fluid in his lungs but no masses and the ultrasound showed an enlarged liver, a few spots on his spleen and thickened intestinal walls but no evidence of the cancer spreading internally. So he is likely just having bad side effects from his chemo on Thursday. He is getting subcutaneous fluid and a few new meds and I can pick him up in about half an hour. I am so glad I get to spend a little more time with my sweet Sunny Bunny! Thanks for all the good thoughts for me and Sunny.

Guest zoolaine

I thought Sunny was doing better this morning - he has been drinking and ate a few bites of boiled hamburger, ham and scrambled eggs. He has been laying on the dog beg sleeping and then went into the dinning room. The dog bed and Sunny's behind and legs are covered in wet diarrhea that is blood tinged. It seems to be oozing out of him. The ER vet said she thought the blood in the diarrhea was from the GI tract being inflamed and irritated. Sunny has never had accidents in the house unless he was very sick so I know he has to be miserable to have poo all over himself. I was hopeful with the results of all the tests yesterday but as much as it is going to break my heart, I don't want him to suffer. The thing is how do I know if this is just temporary or not????? It may be time to let sweet Sunny go. :cry1

I have no advice but just wanted to let you know that you and Sunny are in my thoughts. You have been "doing right by Sunny," as my kids would say, since this all began. Trust in yourself; you haven't been wrong yet.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest dobiegrey

Try not to jump the gun! Talk to the internist tomorrow and see what he/she says. Cancer Sucks! Good thoughts for you and for your Sun Man!

Lou

Guest zoolaine

He is acting more and more normal. He even sat and stared at me while I was eating and ate some roast. :colgate Still leaking diarrhea but not as blood tinged.

No advice, just :grouphug and :goodluck that he continues to improve--more quickly, I hope.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

This is going to sound off the wall, but Sunny may have low stomach acid. The low blood protein and undigested vomited food make me think this. I have this and I take a Betaine supplement when I eat protein. It helps. My GI doctor thinks I'm crazy but he humors me b/c he says it's harmless to take one pill wth a meal.