Cancer & Preventative Meds

Any thoughts on what to continue, if any? We won't be doing any more vaccinations, but I'm inclined to continue to give Heartguard or Interceptor. Not sure about Frontline? I've never been thrilled with the idea of applying chemicals to my dogs and I'm certainly less thrilled at the thought of it when she's fighting off cancer. I would think I could just be more diligent about checking for ticks after walks. Although we may go camping in a week or two, which makes ticks much more likely. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

With the amount of Lyme and heartworm in MD, I think I'd keep her on the Frontline, but ask your vet.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I wondered about that too Jen...mostly abou tvaccinations. Especially with Ace, whose cancer is not terminal. She should be able to live a *normal* life...I normally titer for distemper and all that, but what about rabies vacs? I think she is due next year.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I wondered about that too Jen...mostly abou tvaccinations. Especially with Ace, whose cancer is not terminal. She should be able to live a *normal* life...I normally titer for distemper and all that, but what about rabies vacs? I think she is due next year.

If it were me, I wouldn't vaccinate at all. Your vet should be able to write a letter so you can still license them, which I would definitely do in case anything comes up with another dog/person. But I'm not big on the amts of vaccines we're supposed to give anyway..

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'd Interceptor and Frontline. I can think of few things nastier than dealing with a flea, tick, or worm infestation, for the dog or the person. About the only thing I'd hesitate about would be giving an oral flea/tick med or something like Adams (different drug from Frontline) to a dog with severe kidney/liver impairment. In that case, I'd hesitate only if there were little to no chance of the dog becoming infested.

I also wouldn't hesitate to give the rabies vac at 3 years. It doesn't weaken the immune system, and it wouldn't have any impact on the disease process(es) under consideration. From a biological/metabolic standpoint, don't know why the question would even come up, to tell you the truth.

ETA: I might not want to give the vaccine if the dog were undergoing chemotherapy. In that case, you'd want to consult your oncologist.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeah Jey, that's the thing. Ace is on Leukeran and prednisone for her leukemia. I'm going to have to have a talk with our vet about that. I'm sure he won't have an issue with writing a letter for us.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Good plan :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie

I too think I would weigh up each of these sperate, as to what you are doing at the time, flea and tick control....where will you be that might occure, if not likely, hold, vaccines........ again where will you be with your pup.......weighs on what to give. I have also reaseached some info on supplements ( now i have never used them and maybe someone here has) called K9 critical care,,,,and I feel if I had a pup with CA,,,, I would invest in this product,,,,,,,,,,Good Luck and prayers to your pup :)

Guest Cris_M

When Gabriel had cancer, my vet said absolutely no immunizations -- and he is the king of shots. A letter shouldn't be needed if you don't live in a big city or travel with your dog. The authorities will just call your vet IF needed.

Frontline was recommended because it is not systemic. In his weakened state, Gabriel got lots of fleas. It really wasn't an option to withold flea treatment. If your pup isn't bothered by fleas, there seems no reason to treat for them IMO.

Cool, thanks Cris...my dogs aren't even registered with the county...it's really not required here. You just have to be able to furnish proof of vaccinations if it's asked of you for whatever reason.

When Gabriel had cancer, my vet said absolutely no immunizations -- and he is the king of shots. A letter shouldn't be needed if you don't live in a big city or travel with your dog. The authorities will just call your vet IF needed.

Frontline was recommended because it is not systemic. In his weakened state, Gabriel got lots of fleas. It really wasn't an option to withold flea treatment. If your pup isn't bothered by fleas, there seems no reason to treat for them IMO.

Thanks, this is helpful. I"m not worried about fleas so much as I won't be bringing any fosters into my home while Neyla is sick and we don't really have a flea issue where I live. I'm more concerned about ticks. I want to take Neyla camping in teh next couple of weeks so I think I'm going to have to Frontline at least before we do that.

I am going to keep up with the Heartguard and will jsut make sure not to give them both at the same time if I do Frontline.

Jen, I talked to our vet today about vaccines and he agreed that we should not do them, both for Ace (who is on chemotherapy) and Sutra (whose system is in a precarious state due to the simple fact that he DOES have cancer). He said that we will just not do them, and if I need a letter for anything, he will be more than happy to provide whatever I need.

I did not ask him specifically about HW preventative, but, I think it is gentle enough (at least for most dogs) that it shouldn't be a worry. My other three pups have their checkups on Friday, so, I will make sure to ask him then.