Jade Update

Okay, here's the easy update:

Jade's biopsy came back. B-9!! It's hemagioma. The doctors say it is a cancer, but considered benign because it doesn't spread. Phew. Another bullet dodged. I don't think I could have handled a 4 yr old with cancer after just losing my sisters.

Now on the thunderphobia front. We went to U of Penn Tuesday for a behavioral workup.

She is diagnosed with thunderphobia, anxiety and displacement behavior.

The good news is that I've been doing everything right so far. They do understand why I can't close off the dog door or crate her. In fact they said it would probably be very dangerous to crate her. While she will crate, she doesn't like it and would probably hurt herself severely if locked up or crated.

(of course....day care is still an option, but it doesn't guarentee that the forecast will always be right and that she'll be at the day care on a day when thunderstorms pop up.)

The vet has upped her clomipramime (clomicalm) and we changed from xanax to diazepam. Well right now, I'm not so sure about the results of that. She seemed quiet for the first hour after taking it, then hyper for a short while before she finally settled down. The plan was to try her out on it without any storms. So a storm was not in the picture.

We are still going to see if we can find a quiet place for her but she has to choose it.

We are trying some behavioral modifications (desensitizing not among them)

I am also reinforcing the fence top to give it an added couple of feet.

Right now, it trial and error. And hopefully she'll decide just to hunker down somewhere during a storm with a little meds added to take the edge off.

So there it is in a nutshell. She's healthy, just a fruitloop short of a full bowl of cereal.

Benign :yay

It's really difficult with thunderphobic dogs...have you tried a DAP diffuser, or even a DAP collar? The DAP collar did WONDERS for my friend's thunderphobe. She would get so freaked out she would shake uncontrollably and scream and cry...and almost overheated herself a couple of times from hyperventilation. Now, with the DAP collar, she does still pant a little bit, but, she goes to her bed and lays quietly. They also have several DAP diffusers plugged in around their (very large) house.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Did you see Dr. Reisner? We took John E there.

Have you tried a tight t-shirt. Like a hug. Or the thunder cape. The t-shirt worked for John E, and he was put on prozac (light dosage) and did well. He did hide in the closet. We left the door open for him and he could go in whenever he wanted.

Good luck with your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

the storm defender cape has worked like a dream for murray. i thought he would have a heart attack when it stormed. he shook so hard. this cape has worked miracles here. if murray has his cape is on he hardly shakes at all when storms come. the cape comes with a 100% money back guarantee so you have nothing to lose.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Yup, we have the DAP diffuser. Maybe I should try the collar as well.

I tried a thunderwrap and T shirt. They didn't work. She shook it off. I was hesitant to try the cape also because she might get it off. I need for her to find a comfortable spot and chill during a storm while I'm at work.

Right now I'm sitting here...almost 2 AM because a thunderstorm is coming. I heard one clap (she didn't) and I got up and closed off the dog door. Now I'm just "hiding" here in the office to see what she does with the DAP, the meds, no outside access, white noise (A/C) in the background and a nightlight on.

I just checked the radar again as I was typing this...........looks like it's just going to miss us again. I really would like to be home, and not needing to get up to go to work in the morning for a few storms. So far I'm batting zero. While it's a good thing that she doesn't need to go thru storms, I do need a few to find the best solutions to her problem.

She saw Dr. Siracusa at u of Penn. He was nice. Seemed to know what he was doing. Dr. Reisner is the head of service there. We didn't see her.

Mary Pat, maybe give the DAP collar a try. I know it's been more effective than the diffuser for many, because they "carry it" with them all the time...so it's close :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

That is greyt news about the hemagioma. I wish you luck with her thunderphobia, that has to be a challenge but am sure you will prevail.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.