Haven't Been On The Forum In A While....

Guest Ohiogreymom

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug I lost my sweet Reggie at the same age. :( Whatever you decide to do, take pictures together, and live every day to the fullest.I live for the day they can put an end to this monster disease. You're in my prayers. :hope Darlene

Kelly, as I already told you, I am so sorry to hear this. The "watch" litter are all VERY SPECIAL doggies and it's not fair to have to think about losing him so young. I know you will do the best for him and let me know if I can help you with anything. Love from us.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I'm so sorry. I am going through this now too so I know what you are feeling. I thought exactly the same thing when I got the email from Dr. Couto - like I had been punched in the gut. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kelly,

I am so sorry that you are facing this.

I suggest contacting Dr. Couto group at OSU for a second opinion. They will need copies of the xrays of the mass, lung xrays and results of any fine needle aspiration if it was done. You or your vet can email it to them if they are in digital form.

I also have the OSU paper on bone cancer in greyhounds that I can email to you if you like. Just pm me with your email address.

Phone and email consults are free of charge. Here is the info:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners.

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551