Mosquitos And Greyhounds

Guest LashandRed

Guest LashandRed

Our spring has been very late this year and yesterday when I took the kids out for their walk we were swarmed by mosquitos. These beasts were sucking the blood out of me and I could see the dogs were getting them all over on them too. I have to say we really had to rush through our walk to get home. Now we were in a pretty open area, but it was terrible. For the dogs later walk I could put bug spray on me, but what can if anything can I do for the dogs, is there something I can spray on them that won't make them sick if they lick their fur? Or am I just freaking because these pests just bother me?

Guest MyBoys

We have a summer home right on the water so we get mosquitos all the time, what I do is spray the boys down with half water and half Avon Skin So Soft anytime they will be outside, especially at dusk when the sketters are the worse. We also have a period when the greenheads are bad and it works for them also.

Guest paulownedbyfour

I read the following for for pets and yards. Spray the yard with 1/2 white vinager and 1/2 steamed lemon water with lemon peels attached. Boil two lemons wedges with peel to a quart of water. Let sit overnight. Half goes into the solution for the yard the other half use in a spray bottle for the dog. I have not used it on the dogs yet, but our yard has seen a much less population of insects and mosquitoes.

Added bonus disinfects the yard.

Edited by paulownedbyfour

Guest Sweetreba

We have a summer home right on the water so we get mosquitos all the time, what I do is spray the boys down with half water and half Avon Skin So Soft anytime they will be outside, especially at dusk when the sketters are the worse. We also have a period when the greenheads are bad and it works for them also.

I agree. I walk my two in the wooded area all the time and I use the Skin so soft on me then I run my hands over my two hounds. It works, I have used it for years, plus it is great for my skin. I had a shephard/chow and they did not bother her with the thick coat but they would get her ears so I would apply it on her ears and it did the job.

Guest Auntpeggy

Adams Flea spray-water base..you can get it at Walmart. I don't need it everyday as it stays on their coats..It also fights gnats and flies.

I use something called Mosquito Barrier and spray it on the porch and back deck where the dogs frequently lay and we sit. It's main ingredient is garlic and it's contents are safe for the dogs. I let it dry before I put them out though. The smell dissipates a good bit also. Just an FYI

Guest EmilyandSioux

We use Advantage on our guys and it repels the mosquitos. When they get really bad we use Bounce fabric softner. I rub the guys down and then put the sheet in their collar. I know it sounds funny but it works. When I was able to ride the horses we put it in our belts and under our hats and no bugs bothered us including horse flies.

Adams Flea spray-water base..you can get it at Walmart. I don't need it everyday as it stays on their coats..It also fights gnats and flies.

Can you use this if you have already Frontlined your dogs? The Frontline does nothing for mosquitos. I actually swatted one the other night as it was biting Paul.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds