Excessive Shedding/spotty Hair Loss/ Melatonin

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

I posted before about Trents bald butt and tried all of the various suggestions in hopes of growing some hair on hind end. My vet recommended 3mg melatonin and after reading about a couple others who have had melatonin success I tried it on Trent. The first couple weeks he was getting fuzzy- not on the butt, but every place else. In the past two weeks I noticed the fuzzyness was turning into massive fluffy shedding. I've been brushing him 3x a day and getting balls of hair off of him each time. Now I'm noticing thin spots about the size of dimes around his back legs, almost like the hair is falling out too much and getting thin spots. Could the melatonin be causing hair loss instead of growth? Or, is this normal or maybe a sign of a different problem? In general, he has always been thin skinned with thin hair- but more now than ever before. One funny plus is I"ve notice the birds are happy to collect his hair balls from the yard for their nests- lol.

It could just be normal shedding due to the changes in the weather. My dogs are shedding like crazy right now because it's gotten so warm.

I've never heard of a case where melatonin caused hair loss, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not heard about it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Trentsmom

It could just be normal shedding due to the changes in the weather. My dogs are shedding like crazy right now because it's gotten so warm.

I've never heard of a case where melatonin caused hair loss, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not heard about it.

Good point; it did just start getting warm over the past couple weeks. He's just never had much hair, so I haven't noticed big changes in coat before.

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan came to me last August with bald thighs, and I was excited when that hair filled in. But lately he's getting bald there again! I think it is seasonal shedding.