Wizard And The Mystery Continues

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

We're trying some new things for Wizard, who has the following symptoms now:

poops in the house (but no diarrhea), mainly at night

loss of appetite

small front and hind end stumbles, may be mostly on right side

walking slowly most, but not all, of the time

restless pacing morning and evening, lasting up to about 2 hours at a time sometimes.

skittishness about being touched or interfered with in any way

possible mental confusion at times

sleeps comfortably most of the day, even roaching

Currently, we're reducing his dose of Enalapril, just to be sure it isn't causing some of his problems, especially since he doesn't weigh as much as he did when it was originally prescribed about 3 years ago for very mild congestive heart failure. He is also on thyroid meds, and the vet just checked and said his thyroid levels are now right where they should be.

We're thinking of trying Gabapentin next, in case he is having neurological pain, and in case the pacing is due to anxiety. The vet is going to check around to see where we can get it without acetaminophen added, as she says they usually put that in for humans.

And the vet is suspicious at least part of his problem could be dementia and is suggesting we try Anipryl in the near future.

Can anyone tell me how their hounds with dementia behaved? I realize we could have more than one issue going on here, and I also realize that feeling ill over a long period of time could make him behave as if he has dementia. Did your hounds with dementia lose their appetite or have strange appetite changes, food aversions, etc?

I've also notice a little bit of head shaking in the last couple of days--Wizard has always been very sensitive about his ears being messed with, and I'm worried that if he has an ear infection, he will freak out if I try to put drops in the way he is reacting to things these days.

This has been going on for so many months, and some of his symptoms have changed slightly over time. I was just half hoping his current issues might make sense to someone here.

Did he have a full thyroid panel before starting on thyroid meds, or just a T4?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

And it clearly showed hypothyroid -- elevated TSH and the works? Only reason I ask is, the restlessness, anorexia, skittishness, mental confusion are classic symptoms of hyperthyroidism or oversupplementation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

Well, it was just barely hypothyroid, but 2 vets agreed it was low enough even for a gh to be supplemented, and the current test (just a t-4) said it was good. Also, he began restless pacing and losing weight as early as last October, long before he was on thyroid meds.

But I'll run it by the vet. Maybe we could take the dose down a notch on that as well.

Have you seen these symptoms in dementia as well?

Have never seen a case of dementia. Keep in mind that dogs can lose vision and hearing in whole or in part as they age, and pain can make a dog behave very oddly.

These were the symptoms Spencer had, which cleared up within a day of starting B12 injections. I don't recall if Wizard has already had the cobalamin test. But intestinal malabsorption, which involves inability of the gut to process B12, results in neurological symptoms that look like both dementia and LS or other hind-end weakness. Spencer was even having trouble standing up at that point. As I said, corrected within hours! And it's a lot simpler than gabapentin or a full neuro work-up.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest SusanP

We tried a B vitamin injection last week, and he seemed even more lethargic and less hungry after that, starting later that same day. I'm not sure it's worth doing another. He screamed when they gave it to him...

One of my bridge babies, Gus, got dementia probably around 11 or 12. Walked around in circles, room to room, maybe a poop falling out. He was definitely confused. Would stand at the dog door and forget what he was going to do. I had gone on a two week vacation and had a dog sitter and when I came home he just looked at me and I know he did not recognize me. This was in the mid 90's before I knew there might be a medication for him. I wish you the best as I know it is scary. Prayers for Wizard.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

We tried a B vitamin injection last week, and he seemed even more lethargic and less hungry after that, starting later that same day. I'm not sure it's worth doing another. He screamed when they gave it to him...

I'm so sorry! B12 does sting, but a well-given (slow) shot just under the skin doesn't sting much at all. I hope they didn't jab it into a muscle or a vein! In any case, I'm sorry it didn't work. I wonder if it was all the B's or just B12 that they gave... I'm just curious, why did they decide to give the shot last week. (I'm wondering if they are making a Hail Mary or if they understand what B12 problems are about.)

Continued good wishes to you and Wizard. I haven't seen you posting about Wizard lately, so I was hoping things were better.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest SusanP

Everything is "Hail Mary" with Wizard in this illness, and has been for a long time. The vet is trying to make one change at a time so we can see what he responds to, and what we tried last week was B vitamins, which she said can work wonders in a case where the intestines are not absorbing the vitamins well. I saw her give the shot, and she tented the skin only, no muscles or veins involved. But Wizard is extremely sensitive, now more than ever, and I guess I'm feeling that if one shot didn't help, more won't either.

But Wizard is extremely sensitive, now more than ever, and I guess I'm feeling that if one shot didn't help, more won't either.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. In other words, sometimes this might be true, but sometimes it's not true. Sometimes more is better.

ETA: I've seen your other thread and am very sorry it is coming to that for you and Wizard. :grouphug

Edited by greyhead