Nail Trimming

Guest hshirlow

Guest hshirlow

Anyone use a dremel for their grey's nails? I hate clipping them and thought this might be a good alternative. Any advice?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I like using the Dremel - much less chance of quicking them! The only thing for me though was getting them used to the noise.

Dremel user here too, don't trust myself doing it any other way.

You'll get the hang of it after a few times, just try not to use a low speed

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest UESBrindle

I got a Dremel about 2 months ago, and William was fine with both the sensation and the noise. He was curious, and I made sure to let him smell it, and ran it on high and low infront of him so he was aware of what it was going to sound like, and he did really well.

I bought ours from PetsMart and they told me as I was checking out that as long as I kept the receipt, I could return it within 30 days, so you can always get it, try it and if it's not what you thought it would be you can return it.

I dremel Heidi's nails. This link helped me a lot when I started using it on her. An almost empty peanut butter jar keeps her busy while I do it. I started by having her wear a muzzle and licking the pb jar while I did her nails, but now leave the muzzle off. I never thought I would get her to be comfortable with the dremel, but now she starts to drool thinking about peanut butter when she sees it. :lol

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Guest WarmheartedPups

Dremel here.....cordless....not too high a speed or the nails get HOT!. I was told only do about three seconds to each nail and then go back.....I love it

Guest sheila

Are you talking about the actual brand name Dremel, or a dremel-like rotary tool?

semantics or brand recognition? C'mon, we all know what the OP is asking.

I call it a Band-aid even if it's a Curad or a store brand.

A Dremel, a rotary tool, that grinding thingy........

I have the cordless, re-chargeable Dremel. Everytime I do their nails, I say, outloud, just saved $24. $8 a trim at Petco x three. The Dremel paid for itself in three uses. Like others have said, just don't leave it on one nail too long. The nail gets hot. Three seconds on, three seconds off. I do the whole paw and then repeat.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Are you talking about the actual brand name Dremel, or a dremel-like rotary tool?

Big difference on the speeds that are suggested, that's why I asked :rolleyes:

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest FullMetalFrank

Big difference on the speeds that are suggested, that's why I asked :rolleyes:

RPMs are RPMs regardless of the brand, just make sure you get a tool with the right speed range and it will be fine. Mine is a Craftsman cordless :) .

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Dremel-brand rotary tools come in a wide range of RPMs available. The rule at PetSmart is no grinder with more than 15,000 RPMs. The Dremel-brand MiniMite fits that requirement.

An important thing is an automatic cut-off. If you grabbed the end of your grinder while it was running, could you stop it with your fingers without harming yourself? With a Dremel-brand MiniMite, you could.

Why does this matter? Well, it's not a big deal on a short-haired greyhound, but if you also grind nails on a long-haired dog, or if your own hair is long and loose... Yeah, the thing will still yank on the hair--and that may snatch the grinder out of your hand--but if you can grab the spinning end to stop it, that'll give you time to get to the off switch.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The Dremel-brand MiniMite fits that requirement.

My first MiniMite lasted 10 years before the battery finally got to the point of only working for a one dog trim. I bought a one up the line from that & now wish I had gone back to the MiniMite. It runs at the right speed, is small, & rather quiet. While this doesn't matter with Greys, my other joy with the MiniMite applies to long haired dogs. It isn't too powerful. If you make the mistake of getting long hair caught in it it stops turning. Um... not that I would ever do that. Nah, not me. :rolleyes:

Dremeling is the only way for me.

Guest Trentsmom

I do my dogs nails when one of the kids is available to rub the ears and belly. As long as their getting luv they will let me work on their nails. Otherwise they get frustrated after one or two and start trying to lick the tool to get me to stop. But much safer than clipping.

Guest RocketDog

I use a 10.8V cordless Dremel with the 60grit sanding band. Do NOT use the stone or metal grinding bits, they get way too hot way too fast. A mini-mite would be just fine for a household with one or two dogs, but I use mine at a professional grooming establishment and often do 10-14 dogs' nails a day so I need the extra 'firepower' and battery life. I'd never do nails any other way!

Guest runner615

Perfect, RocketDog, that's the info I was looking for. We have the same Dremel but never knew exactly the correct band to use....thus not dremeling very often.

Thanks!

Guest KennelMom

A nail grindy thing :P is the only way to go IMO. Ours is a dremel from Lowes...I started out with the one that just had a high or low setting, but I prefer the one with a fully adjustable speed setting. Ours goes from zero up to, I dunno, 8 or 9 maybe. I use it between 3-4 depending on the dog's nails. Some are harder, some are softer. The doberdawn site has a great "how to"...if you google doberdawn I'm sure you'll find it.

A nail grindy thing :P is the only way to go IMO. Ours is a dremel from Lowes...I started out with the one that just had a high or low setting, but I prefer the one with a fully adjustable speed setting. Ours goes from zero up to, I dunno, 8 or 9 maybe. I use it between 3-4 depending on the dog's nails. Some are harder, some are softer. The doberdawn site has a great "how to"...if you google doberdawn I'm sure you'll find it.

This is what I was trying to explain but obviously didn't do a very good job.

A lot of times, different brands have different speed settings, even among the Dremels.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest barkdogs

Got one recently to use in my studio and recently did all the dogs in the house (8) and I will never go back to clippers! My house mate's dog HATES having his nails done and he was so good! Also if you do hit the quick it doesn't hurt as much and you just nick it as you can see it. Wonderful device.

Guest jettcricket

I love my dremmel....I use a cordless hand held Black & Decker. It's light weight and easy to manage. I try and dremel every 2 weeks. Their nails grow so fast!!