Devastated One Of My Girls Has Cancer - Osteo

Guest Gratefulgrey

Guest Gratefulgrey

:weep:weep:weep I am so upset I can't even think straight.... Wendy who is 8 yrs old and littermate (sister) to my other girl Abby. Adopted Abby first she didn't want to race and a few yrs later Abby sister Wendy was 4 and ready to retire so being Abby littermate we adopted Wendy. A week ago sun (5/23) out of the blue Wendy woke up and I noticed that her back leg was bothering her, I thought she may of hurt it playing in the yard. When she woke up on Mon. she was limping and putting no weight on it at all so I took her to the vet. Who took an x ray and it came back that she had a tumor back right leg. (tibia) so he took a biopsy and the news was not good it came back Cancer Osteosarcoma. She had been fine! lost!

I hope this makes sense I am just so upset not expecting this kind of news. she has 3 to 4 months depending on the pain or what we can do or should do? I know a lot of people and their greys have gone though this (too many :weep ) I also saw the post about OSU can anybody send me a pm w/ Dr Couto direct email addy? How to get a hold of him and is he still consulting only w/ the fee? This is all I can get out and type now. :weep Anybody thoughts, help, well wishes please post Thank you!

I am so very sorry about Wendy's diagnosis :cry1 :cry1 I hate this horrible disease :brokenheart

You will find no doubt receive many words of advice from people who have been through this journey with their companions. I have not... but I wanted to send hugs and good thoughts. :grouphug:candle:goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh no, I'm so very sorry. My prayers are with you and Wendy. Just remember, whatever decision you make will be the right decision for you both, no second guessing yourself, it will drive you crazy. My heart goes out to you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm very sorry to hear this news :( I understand how shocked and scared you are :grouphug

Have you talked to your vet about what options may be possible for Wendy?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Sending lots of prayers for your girlie and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest windycove

My heart breaks for you. My Windy went to the Bridge with OC. A small "hitch in her giddy up" that got worse.......so shocking.....so fast.

Perhaps you are soon enough to do an amp.

They are never with us long enough

Guest IrskasMom

It is so disheartning to read this,but trust me you will find a lot of Comfort by this compassionate People here. There are quiet a few People who have contacted Dr. Couto personally.Please contact Dr. Couto or OSU .Lots of gentle Hugs and Prayers for Wendy and you.

I am sad and sorry for you and your girl. Take each day, one at a time. Make memories, take photos and enjoy the time you have. She knows that you love her and you are her best friend. Whatever decisions you make, will come from your heart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry about this horrible news. Yes, Dr. Couto is still consulting without a fee. Here is complete information:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners.

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

I know exactly how you feel and I send you many thoughts, prayers and hugs. My Foley was diagnosed just over 3 weeks ago - the x-ray from this past Friday shows extensive growth - due to her age (10) we have decided to keep her comfortable until the time comes, which according to our vet is 6 weeks or so.

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest bigorangedog

So sorry to hear this. We have had 5 dogs with osteo in the past 14 months. If you are considering amputation, please take a look at my blog post (link in my signature) about what to expect, which is meant to help greyhound parents make an informed decision. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask!

I'm so very sorry. I'm going through this right now so I know how you feel. Neyla was diagnosed with osteo in her shoulder 2 weeks ago. She is her usual playful, happy self right now - no limping generally - so it's hard to imagine that I might lose her in a month or two. I am still struggling ot make sense of all of the information that is out there regarding treatment options as well. How old is your girl?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Gratefulgrey

Thank you all for the good wishes, dr info,and thoughts! I am :sad1:cry1 I will post again for more personal thank you.

Thank you all for the good wishes, dr info,and thoughts! I am :sad1:cry1 I will post again for more personal thank you.

Thoguth I'd add one thing. I don't know if this will help and every person is different, but I was lost at first. Had convinced myself this wouldn't happen to Neyla. It took me 2-3 days of total depression and constant tears until I got to a place where I sort of accepted this was happening to us and could start to think more about treatment options. Like I said, every person is different, but sharing this in the hopes that it will help you to know that you will be able to move forward with the decision making process once you have a little time, even though it will still be rocky. At first, I couldn't fathom how I would pull myself together, but I knew I needed to do it for Neyla. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Smiley

I am so, so sorry. We've been through this twice already this year and I know how devastating the news is. Dr. Couto is an angel and will give you good information. If you need anything at all, please feel free to get in touch. Sending you many hugs.

I'm so sorry you've gotten this news. :candle:grouphug for you and your sweet girl.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown