Pools And Swimming

Guest kdice

Guest kdice

We moved into a new house about 6 weeks ago and it has an inground pool. Our dog Hattie goes up to the edge of it but always backs away. If we go in and swim back and forth, she runs along it and barks (otherwise she almost never barks). This weekend we had some friends over with three small kids who were in the pool doing a lot of splashing around. She barked and barked at them, and kept running over and sniffing at them. It almost looked like she was excited and wanted to join in play with them, but sometimes I think she's more nervous about it.

So, here are the questions:

1. Do we make her go in the pool so she knows what it is? There are a few steps that she could stand on and walk on.

2. How do we stop her from barking all the time when people are in the pool?

You could put her in the pool with a life vest. The problem with greyhounds, they have little body fat so they don't float well, the other problem, they've never been in a pool before and a lot of them will panic and sink. I'd be very cautious with the pool. Take her in under supervision but be sure she doesn't get out there alone because she could go in alone.

As far as the barking, I haven't a clue. My neighbors have a pool and their dog barks the entire time the kids are in there playing. They finally have to put the dog in the house to get some peace and quiet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our first foster did zoomies around the yard on his first night out.When he spotted a statue at the end...in he went...sank to the bottom and then popped up and swam to the step.It was Feb and water was 58 degrees. I would go in IF I had to. I never leave dogs alone around the pool.Treat them like children

Guest goofydog

I agree with Judy, take it slow and try to introduce her to the pool in a calm way. Once she decides if she likes it you can try this :lol

Jumbo.jpg

Guest twhitehouse

I agree with Judy, take it slow and try to introduce her to the pool in a calm way. Once she decides if she likes it you can try this :lol

Jumbo.jpg

:lol :lol :lol I love that photo! :)

Jumbo.jpg

Oh my gosh Toni! That's an awesome picture!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest kdice

Jumbo.jpg

Oh my gosh! That is too funny!

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I would be very careful if she is allowed free access to the pool (no fence barrier) Not too long ago someone in my area let their hounds out and I guess didn't watch them... when their senior didn't come back inside they went out and found her at the bottom of their pool :(

Edited by TheUnrulyHound

I adopted my young hound last November, but I waited until my inground pool water was warm enough before I let her around the pool for the first time last month. I also purchased a pet life vest (had the straps extended because large too big and medium too small) for that first pool venture, and good thing I did, because right away she fell into the pool in the deep end but the life vest kept her head out of the water. Panic/shock in her eyes. I pulled her to the steps and got her out. Now she stays away from the edge of the pool, but I never leave her alone poolside because I'm afrait she'll chase a squirrel and fall in accidentally. I don't know if she'll ever be a water dog, but she likes the wading pools at the dog park I go to, so that's something anyway.

I've seen posts from people with backyard pools with steps (as opposed to ladders) who have gently led their dogs in and out the steps many times. If the dog ever did accidently fall in, they hoped the dog would remember to head for the steps, rather than frantically try to scramble out the sides.

I'm wondering if a high-value chewing treat would distract Hattie while people are in the pool. Give it to her before you go in, and then once she's busy chewing, have one person stay next to her while another quietly enters the pool for a few seconds, gradually extending the time if she remains calm and distractable?

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Plygreygirl

Love the photo with the noodles!!! With my first dog Carly I used to spend weekends at my Mother's place which is on a lake. I knew from growing up around water that learning to swim was needed. So yes grey's can learn to swim. Not real well but enough to get them selves out of trouble.

My funny story one afternoon my neice and her boy friend were on a flat bottom boat (we call it a surrey) tied up to our dock. Well they were having fried chicken!!! Yes Miss Carly decided that she wanted some. So picture this the two have this box of chicken between them and there back to the dock. Up comes Carly and puts her two front paws on the surrey and tries to snag a piece of chicken. Yes the surrey is now moving out and there's the dog with no place to go but down!!! This was a classic slash down!!! So was I ever glad that I taught her how to swim???

Yes the silly girl swims under the dock to shallow ground and shakes off!! And yes goes right back to the dock to check out if maybe some chicken left!!!

I recommend going easy with the process it took me the first summer to get her going where I was sure she could at least swim the lenght of a pool. Every time we went to the beach I would walk her in and hold her up at first. Then as the summer went on each time a little longer and a little less holding her up. So good luck! And happy swimming!