Kennel Cough Vaccine

Guest mhall

Guest mhall

Jasper is due for his kennel cough vaccine, and we are trying to decide whether or not to get it. I'm not anti vaccine per say, but I don't want to do more than what is necessary.

We don't board him, I don't think we will be taking him to the dog park any more, but we do go for walks with other dogs who may not have been vaccinated. We are also going to be taking him up to a greyhound group in VT a little later this month so he will be visiting a kennel environment. We have an appointment to have his lepto done on Wednesday. I'm not crazy about doing vaccines on the same day, but could if it is important for him to be vaccinated before going up to VT.

In our situation would you get the vaccine?

Guest KennelMom

we don't get it. Had KC come through our pack years ago when they were all UTD on it and the vet told me the vaccine is pretty outdated. If you are boarding him it will probably be required though...that'd be the only reason I'd get it done.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Have to agree with Heather.

I wouldn't bother. Unless you board your dogs and it's required most healthy dogs if they do get kennel cough can fight it off just fine in a few days.

Since there is so many strands of KC IMHO it's just not worth the vacc.

My vet doesn't see the use in it unless you have to have it to board. He said it is effective on less than 1/2 the strains. I'd say the chances of him catching it outside while on a walk with an unvaccinated dog are right between slim and none. If you decide to do it I wouldn't be worried about it and lepto in the same day.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I don't get it. I'd only do it if I was going to board George because most places require it.

On the off chance he were to contract kennel cough, it's easily cured.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'll be the lone dissenter :lol . The only dog I've had get kennel cough in recent years was the one who hadn't had an up-to-date shot. Wasn't dangerous but man did it make us miserable for @ 10 days. The vaccine is cheap, extremely rare for there to be a bad reaction, good insurance IMHO. I normally get it @ 3 weeks before we're going to be around a bunch of dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mhall

Thanks for all the input! We discussed the pros and cons last night and are leaning towards no. Is it true that you need to get the vaccine at least two weeks prior to potential exposure in order for it to be effective? If that's the case, it won't do much good to vaccinate Jasper before our trip anyway. I guess I should plan ahead better and ask these types of questions sooner. :blush

Mine do get the kennel cough shot. Because they do go to meet and greets and they will be going to the dog park too. Plus I've had a friend who had a kennel at Dairyland bring it home on her clothes and as a result all of her hounds got sick. And one of them almost died. Plus with my sister and I going down and volunteering at place where our group boards there up for adoption hounds and other people's hounds too. Our vet thought it would be a good idea for them to get it.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

We've never gotten the shot and haven't had KC, at least not that I've noticed. We go on walks and to pet stores, encounter many other dogs and public places that other dogs visit. Between how short the vaccine is effective for, how little it covers, and the fact that it's not a fatal disease, I don't feel the need to get it.

Guest sheila

the only time I've gotten in for my dogs is a month or so before I've attended any dog event that has many dogs in close quarters (GIG/Dewey etc.)