Barking

Guest RobinAZ

Guest RobinAZ

We give the dogs Kongs with a little frozen peanut butter in them every night as a treat. GreyCee has started to come to us to tell us when it's time to have her treat. And she'll bark at us till we get up to get them. Then later - sometimes she forgets she has already had her treat - and she'll start again. Or sometimes when she wants to play with our little Pom she'll bark and she doesn't stop! She is the best dog and this is one of the few annoying things she does - and even then it's kind of cute. But I want her to stop when I tell her. I am not sure how to do this. I got a squirt bottle of water and told her no and gave her a quick spray and oh my gosh it was so sad - she looked at me with such hurt in her eyes!!! And then she wouldn't come to me for awhile. Any other suggestions?

Guest MDMD

I'd love to hear some suggestions to this issue. Only one of my greys has done this and he does it mainly EARLY in the morning as soon as I open my eyes because he wants to eat. I've actually learned to move really quick in the morning now to feed him.I've tried the water it works a little. He only barks or roos when its time to eat or when I get home,no other time. His racing name was "SOS Talk to Me" now we know why.

Edited by MDMD

Guest RobinAZ

I'd love to hear some suggestions to this issue. Only one of my greys has done this and he does it mainly EARLY in the morning as soon as I open my eyes because he wants to eat. I've actually learned to move really quick in the morning now to feed him.I've tried the water it works a little. He only barks or roos when its time to eat or when I get home,no other time. His racing name was "SOS Talk to Me" now we know why.

Hahaha!! What a cute racing name! My daughter's grey does that early in the morning. About 5:30. She will come to the bed and start barking to be fed. And if you don't move, she pinches you with her teeth. It's actually very cute. So when we are babysitting her we get up and feed her, then we can go back to bed and she's fine.

That's the thing, they aren't barking just to be barking. They are trying to tell us something or get our attention.

They are bullying you! Bark bark bark and I want my *whatever* right NOW! And they get it.

Don't let the sad eyes fool you - these guys know what's going on! Keep up with the squirt bottle and ignore her when she barks - tell her to go lay down and ignore her, especially in the mornng.

Alternate solution: Teach her to bark on command and stop on command. It should be easy to capture the behavior if she barks a lot. Then you can just command her.

Good luck. My Toni was LPH Cry Baby - and boy! she sure is!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The squirt bottle was the only thing that worked for Saint. I didn't use the word "no" though, I used "quiet" because we use "no" for other things. Now when I say "quiet" he stops. It's to the point that if he doesn't stop when I say quiet, all I have to do is pick up the squirt bottle and that's the end of the barking.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest RobinAZ

Thank you! I guess the squirt bottle it will be. But oh the way she looks at me...makes me feel so bad!! I like the suggestion of using the word "quiet" - that will work better for us too.

The squirt bottle was the only thing that worked for Saint. I didn't use the word "no" though, I used "quiet" because we use "no" for other things. Now when I say "quiet" he stops. It's to the point that if he doesn't stop when I say quiet, all I have to do is pick up the squirt bottle and that's the end of the barking.

Exactly!!!

Or, you could actually use her chatty nature and teach her "speak," and then the command "no speak."

"No" on it's own means nothing.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Fluffy

Badger and I had remarkable (and I do mean remarkable, considering I am still convinced GFNJ slipped me a mule dressed as a dog) success with the spray bottle. On the advice of a poster on a thread I posted here (possibly corrupted somewhere between the user's intention and my implementation, but hey, it worked), I did a spray with no accompanying command or attention. If I could manage it, I didn't even look at him when I sprayed. I wanted him to associate "this thing sprays me when I bark" and not "Mommy sprays me when I bark". It only took two days, with perhaps two incidents per day, before he decided that barking was pretty much more trouble than it was worth.

Pardon me now while I knock on wood, since now that I said this, he will probably start up again and make me look like a fool. Again.