Walking On Left?

Guest AlanT

Guest burgerandfrey

You DO use your right hand to hold the leash. Your left hand takes up the slack, if any. The leash goes across your body in the front. On me, typically it's at waist height. I use a leather leash that is almost exactly the width of the reins I used to ride with , so for me it's very comfortable to hold the loose end of the leash as if I'm riding again! Your right hand should to through the leash loop from the TOP, and grasp the length of the leash--you should not be holding the loop with your fingers. Hard to describe...but that way you have your strong hand holding the leash, your weaker hand holding the slack, and should your dog bolt, he's not too far ahead of you and you have BOTH hands ready!!

At least this is how I do it!

This is similar to what I do as well. We have two greys and six-foot leather leashes for both of them. I put my right hand through the loops of both leashes and grasp the leashes below the loops. Then I use my left hand to control the slack. This usually encourages the dogs to walk on my left, but sometimes they prefer to be on my right. When that is the case I will sometimes fold the slack into my right hand, but usually I prefer to control it with my left hand. I can let go with my left hand to do other things... like picking up da poop, but usually I'm a two-handed leash walker. With two hounds I have tried walking with a leash around each hand/wrist, but it's actually better to have both leashes around the same wrist in my experience. One of our greys usually heels perfectly on walks, while the other is a little more squirrelly. She usually follows the lead of our male though, and will do as he does. They rarely pull or bolt and like to walk next to each other or on either side of me. The only problem is that sometimes one or both will break to the side to sniff something, the other will follow, and then we are all tangled together!

We are expecting our first baby in August, so it will be interesting to walk the dogs and the stroller together...especially since our female grey is kind of scared of the stroller. When my wife and I are together one can take the stroller and the other the dogs, but there are times when only one of us can go on the walks.