Casey At E-Vet....needs Surgery

Guest houndlover

sending many hugs!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest houndlover

Just wanted to update everyone....DD and I just got back from visiting Casey. He actually looks much better than I thought he would. I expected him to be much thinner than he is so I was pleasantly surprised. When I talked to the ER vet this mornign on the phone he said that Casey was doing well and that their biggest challenge right now was getting him to eat something. They said that he didn't eat anything this morning but I was able to get him to eat about 1/2 jar of chicken baby food so that was good. They said that he had a couple of heart erythmias (sp) during the nite but it wasn't anything unexpected and is very common in dogs that have just had their spleen removed. I was also told that there were pictures of the mass if I wanted to see it but the ER vet was too busy with actual emergencies so I told them that I would look at the pics when I went back next time. They said that they were amazed at the size of the mass and that it could actually fit in his abdominal cavity. As long as Casey starts eating there is a good possibility that he can come home tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers. :)

Wow, sounds like Casey is an absolute miracle!!! So glad he is doing well :yay

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest vahoundlover

Come on Casey it's time to eat so you can go home!! My continued prayers are with you for an uneventful recovery

How is Casey this morning? Well enough to come home today, I hope! Still sending healing prayers. Come on, Casey, you have to eat!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest houndlover

I spoke with the surgeon this morning and although they are still force feeding Casey, he is going to discharge him today. Yipeee!!! They said that his blood work was unchanged from the other day which was to be expected and that they thought that Casey would do much better at home. I can’t tell you how happy I am that I can pick up my boy today. I am going to try to leave work early so I can get him late this afternoon or early this evening. I will update everyone when I get home and hopefully be able to post a picture. 

Guest EmilyandSioux

Sorry I am late sending thoughts and prayers but I haven't been able to get ont he computer much. We are sending thoughts and prayers your way. If he is still not eating well you might try pumpkin or cheese. I know my guys always eat that.

Guest houndlover

Sorry I am late sending thoughts and prayers but I haven't been able to get ont he computer much. We are sending thoughts and prayers your way. If he is still not eating well you might try pumpkin or cheese. I know my guys always eat that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am happy to say that Casey has been eating well since he has been home. He ate 1C hamburger and rice when I got him home last nite and then another cup before I went to bed. This morning he had more hamburger and rice and he was eating some of the kibble that I had put down. Hopefully he is well on his way to recovering.

Guest houndlover

So glad to hear that's he's home! Any word on the biopsy??

No word on the biopsy yet. They just sent it out tomorrow but expected the results should be back today or tomorrow. I was on the fence about even having it biopsied for a number of reasons. One being that the mass was so big (10.5lbs and 11 inches in diameter) that the section that they took to biopsy may be okay but there could be a different section of the mass that is malignant. I don’t know the whole biopsy thing just makes me crazy. The vet last nite said that he would be very, very surprised if it came back malignant. I will let you guys know what they say.

So glad to hear Casey is eating! That's half the battle to recovery right there!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so glad Casey is eating and doing better. I'm hoping he's back to his normal weight soon and romping outside. I'm also hoping for a benign biopsy.