Casey At E-Vet....needs Surgery

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

First things first.....why do emergencies always happen on a holiday weekend??????? I took Casey to the e-vet this morning b/c I had noticed that his stomach was distended/bloated and he had vomited bile during the nite. He hadn't been acting right since Thursday but I didn't think too much of it until he stopped eating, started vomiting, panting and seemed very uncomfortable. The vet took x-rays and found a mass in Casey's abdomen that is the size of a basketball. I was shocked. I have no idea how I didn't notice it sooner. Further x-rays showed that his chest looked clear so whatever type of mass this was, they didn't think that it had metastisized. They suggested surgery but not before doing an ultrasound to see if anything else was going on. They were able to get a hold of the radiologist that was on call, he came in and did the ultrasound and confirmed that there was a basketball sized mass in the abdomen. It is a spleenatic mass and all of the other organs (including the heart) look fine. blood work came back okay (red blood count was low but they expected that with the size of the mass and electrolytes, etc were off b/c Casey is dehydrated). The e-vet, surgeon and radiologist all agreed that for a 10yr old grey Casey looked great except for the mass and they all thought that is should be removed. He is scheduled for surgery tonite or tomorrow morning (depending on other emergencies that come in today).

I truly couldn't believe the size of this thing. Casey's stomach is pushed up against his spine and his intestines are pushed together in a bunch towards his tail. He must be sooooo uncomfortable. The vet was wonderful and said that he would be very surprised if the mass was malignant given it's size, normally a malignant mass this size would have metastisized by now.

Please keep Casey in your thoughts. I am very optimistic but could always use some extra thoughts and prayers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

I am sooo sorry, and yes, things like this always seem to happy on weekends, and holidays!

When I worked human ER, it was the same.

Sending tons of prayers your way for Casey! Love, Dee and The Five

Michelle, just seeing this. So sorry to hear about Casey! What e-vet is he at? If he's up in Deerfield I'm not far away. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about you guys!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest houndlover

Michelle, just seeing this. So sorry to hear about Casey! What e-vet is he at? If he's up in Deerfield I'm not far away. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. In the meantime, I'll be thinking about you guys!

Casey is at CT vet clinic in West Hartford Ct. They are only about 30 min away from my house. I used them when Billy was very sick and was very happy with them. I also work in Hartford so figured this would be my best option if he needed to be hospitalized b/c I would be able to go visit him on my lunch and after work.

I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Prayers and good thoughts from here for you and Casey!

(Stuff always happens on Friday night at our house. I think it's a rule or something. huh.gif )

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest eaglflyt

Sending prayers for you and Casey right now. :hope

P.S. Same thing here ... we see the E-vet almost as frequently as our regular vet. The big problems always come up after hours or on weekends, including with our horses.

Edited by eaglflyt

Hoping all goes well with the surgery and Casey feels better!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh how scary!! Praying for a simple surgery and easy recovery :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Bad enough it's a weekend but a holiday weekend??? Sounds like my life. I will keep your Casey in my prayers tonight for an easy surgery and even easier recovery.

Edited by fourofem

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest houndlover

Thanks for the good thoughts. They must be working b/c the surgeon just called and said Casey is out of surgery and recovering. He said that Casey's prognosis is very good to excellent and he also said a lot of other stuff that went right over my head. LOL They are keeping Casey in the hospital for 2-3 days and they said that no news overnite is good news. I will call tomorrow after 9am and see when I can go down to visit him. They said that their goal for tomorrow is to get him up and eating. He also asked if I had ever had a greyhound before (ummmm...yep, just a few)b/c he wasn't sure if I knew how easily they bruise. I don't think he wanted me to be alarmed when I saw Casey's bruised belly. Oh yeah.....the mass weighed 10.5lbs. Casey's normal weight is 72lbs, when I took him to the vet today and knew he had lost weight and he was down to 65lbs, which means now after the surgery he only weights 54.5lbs. :o

I will keep everyone updated as I hear more. Thanks again.

Michelle and Casey

Glad to hear that your boy came through surgery well. Keeping Casey in my prayers for a full recovery. :hope:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

There's something that Dr. Couto gives to greyhounds when he does surgery because a subset of them bleed badly a couple of days after surgery. Hopefully, someone can post the name of the drug, because I don't know what it is. If your vet is worried about bruising, I'd try to get this med, though I don't know if bruising and excess bleeding are related.

I hope your baby feels better and is home soon.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Keeping Casey in my prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TeddysMom

I am so glad to read that Casey made it through surgery very well. My prayers and healing thoughts are with him.

Guest boondog

There's something that Dr. Couto gives to greyhounds when he does surgery because a subset of them bleed badly a couple of days after surgery. Hopefully, someone can post the name of the drug, because I don't know what it is. If your vet is worried about bruising, I'd try to get this med, though I don't know if bruising and excess bleeding are related.

I hope your baby feels better and is home soon.

DD

The drug is Amicar (aminocaproic acid). I hope Casey has a speedy recovery!