Natural Pain Med?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Grizzly Salmon Oil for your fish oil, absolutely. I have the amounts of omega-3's (and DHA/EPA_ written down per pump if anyone needs them b/c you can't get them on their website (I had to call). Their recommended dosage (3 pumps from the larger bottle) turns out to be about 2800 mg of omega-3's/day (870 EPA/1155 DHA). The holistic vet I consulted with said you can go up to 1000 mg/10 lbs as tolerated for cancer, but that's for cancer, that's not a maintenance dose.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Grizzly Salmon Oil for your fish oil, absolutely. I have the amounts of omega-3's (and DHA/EPA_ written down per pump if anyone needs them b/c you can't get them on their website (I had to call). Their recommended dosage (3 pumps from the larger bottle) turns out to be about 2800 mg of omega-3's/day (870 EPA/1155 DHA). The holistic vet I consulted with said you can go up to 1000 mg/10 lbs as tolerated for cancer, but that's for cancer, that's not a maintenance dose.

Where do you order this from?

I picked up some of the fish oil caps from Sam's but now thinking that I would have to give like 5 pills a day to get the proper dosage and well, that's just silly IMHO :blush

I can get it for you from Costco Heather.:)

Really?! I need to check my Costco, or their website.

Heather, I ordered mine on Amazon. Added a spatula I had been wanting and got free super saver shipping. :)

I have to say, I was not into the liquid supplements at first. Resisted getting the acti-flex joint supplement for that reason, but I especially love the salmon oil since it comes with the pump and it tells you your dosage according to number of pumps. I just have the bottle in the door of my fridge and it's really convenient. Unfortunately Zuri doesn't like the taste, but he's never much been into raw fish either and he doesn't like the taste of the acti-flex either. :rolleyes:

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just thought I'd add a little info I just got on Boswellia. Holistic vet told me dosage is 10mg/lb 3x/day. For Neyla (56 lbs), that comes out to 560 mg 3x/day. This coincides with another recommendation I saw from a vet online for 500mg 3x/day for a 15-30kg dog. I also found a study online that strongly suggests you should give Boswellia with a higher fat meal to increase its efficacy. Also found a study that indicates half life of Boswellia is 6-8 hours, hence the need to administer it 3x/day.

Puritan's Pride that someone else recommended seems to have a very good price - the pills are 250 mg each so I would just give 6/day. You can get 5 100 ct bottles for $32 so that would be less than 40 cents/day.

That's your random Boswellia blurt for the day. :P

Guest Swifthounds

I've gotten my Grizzly Oil from www.KVVet.com They usually have the best prices.

I think the Greyhound Gang stocks it as well.

Interesting that Costco sells it. Don't have a Costco here.

I used the Grizzly exclusively when I fed kibble, now that there's no bowl at feeding time, it really isn't any more convenient than the caps - and I've taught all of my hounds to catch them as treats - win-win!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm a bit torn between just going with the pills or the quirt liquid.

Since I'm never totally sure if Brookie is going to eat what I'm serving up I could easily waste a ton of liquid supplements if she chooses not to eat the food.

But then again I could just quickly squirt whatever supplements into her food as she starts eating.

Or I could just pop her pills.

Decisions decisions :lol

I'm a bit torn between just going with the pills or the quirt liquid.

Since I'm never totally sure if Brookie is going to eat what I'm serving up I could easily waste a ton of liquid supplements if she chooses not to eat the food.

But then again I could just quickly squirt whatever supplements into her food as she starts eating.

Or I could just pop her pills.

Decisions decisions :lol

Are you debating for the fish oil? If so, I would get hte small bottle and try the grizzly. Actually, the easiest test might just be to pick up a piece of wild salmon at the store for your dinner and offer her a piece raw. Unless she doens't like fish much (ahem, Zuri) she should love it. Neyla laps it up.

Guest Swifthounds

Just thought I'd add a little info I just got on Boswellia. Holistic vet told me dosage is 10mg/lb 3x/day. For Neyla (56 lbs), that comes out to 560 mg 3x/day. This coincides with another recommendation I saw from a vet online for 500mg 3x/day for a 15-30kg dog. I also found a study online that strongly suggests you should give Boswellia with a higher fat meal to increase its efficacy. Also found a study that indicates half life of Boswellia is 6-8 hours, hence the need to administer it 3x/day.

Puritan's Pride that someone else recommended seems to have a very good price - the pills are 250 mg each so I would just give 6/day. You can get 5 100 ct bottles for $32 so that would be less than 40 cents/day.

I must say, be careful with the Puritan's Pride website, you can become a crazed bargain hunter like me, knowing what sizes and buy/gets are the best deal. :gmark It's sad, really. I need a support group. :crazy

I do chuckle to myself when I pass the supplement aisle at a local store though...

I must say, be careful with the Puritan's Pride website, you can become a crazed bargain hunter like me, knowing what sizes and buy/gets are the best deal. :gmark It's sad, really. I need a support group. :crazy

I do chuckle to myself when I pass the supplement aisle at a local store though...

:lol I was tempted to buy some other supplements while on there, but ultimately I decided against it. One of the things I'm starting Neyla on is Maitake extract - it's supposed to actually kill cancer cells - and they carry it, but I wanted to go with the best form I could get so I got a liquid from a company that makes a formula for pets as well as humans. That formula was actually the one used in a study that showed that the extract did kill canine cancer cells in vitro. :blah :blah

Guest paulownedbyfour

Rubbing the joints with pure peanut oil. Burdock Root also is known for assisting with joint issues. We had Lucky on it before he crossed the bridge and just started Shane on it as well. As for the peanut oil I have not tried it but a freind that owns a greyhound swears by it. as a warm compress.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/herbs.htm

Edited by paulownedbyfour