Collar Width

Guest Nytingale

Guest Nytingale

I'm in the market to buy a couple new martingales for my girl Ripley and am debating between sizes. I know wide is the way to go but HOW wide? Her current collar is a 2" velvet collar but I'm wondering if 1.5 might be better.

So what do you guys use? and why?

I use 1 1/2 inch for my girls and my little boys. My bigger guys are close to 100 lbs. so I use a two inch for them. I just feel I have better control with the 2 inch collars for my big boys.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest hlpnhounds

My boy is 95# and my girl is ~73#. Most of their collars are 1.5". Neither one of them are pullers and they are both well-behaved hounds. I would like to get a few collars for my boy in the 2" width just because he is large.

My reasons for using one size over another is purely asthetics. I "dress" them in collars that I like on them.

here is bee wiseman in a 1.5" collar. all of bee's collars are 1.5". she weighs 62 pounds. the 2" collars look too big on her.

DSC_0047.jpg

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I use 1 1/2" for my girls and 2" for my boys, just because of the difference in their sizes. I like the collar wide enough to give good control without being so wide that it looks like a turtleneck on them.

Though if I find a collar I really like for one of them, I'll usually get it regardless of width!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Nytingale

I think I'll be going with 1.5 from here on out. Ripley is only 60lbs (She's a little girl) and the 2" DOES look like a turtleneck on her. The 1.5 on Bee Wiseman looks perfect (such a cute picture).

For me, it depends on what I want to do. For training, I use collars that are no more than 1" wide. I usually stick to 3/4". I feel this gives me better control, and gets the dog's attention better - the narrower an area on the neck, the more they feel it. If the collar is wider, a pop correction will be spread out over more area, thus reducing its effectiveness.

For general use, especially when out in public, I use 1" - 1 1/2" on the smaller dogs, and up to 2" on the larger dogs. I like the look.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Cris_M

Duncan has 1 1/2 inch collars.

A 2 inch velvet sounds very elegant. Maybe everyday collars in 1 1/2 inch would look great on Ripley.

Guest MyCody

I like the 1 1/2" I only use the collars for tags and looks, I never attach a leash as I swear by Whiggles Wags and Whiskers harnesses. They give the best control.

I AGREE W/ SIGHTHOUNDS4ME 100%. YOU HAVE FAR MORE CONTROL W/ A THINNER COLLAR. GENERALLY I USE THE THINNER LUPINE MARTINGALES FOR TRAINING, THEY ARE UNDER AN 1". FOR DRESS A 1" AND FELIX IS 78LBS,

I LIKE TO SEE AS MUCH NECK AS POSSIBLE AND LIKE THE QUICK RESPONSE THAT A THINNER COLLAR PROVIDES.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest 4dogscrazy

I also use 1", but I keep them on them all the time. I have some dress collars, but I really don't use them much. I trust the 1" for walks and meet and greets. I just feel like I have more control. I have used harnesses in the past, but now I am down to just using their 1" martingales for everything.

We sell a LOT more 1.5" collars than 2" wide collars. For me personally, I use both. Paradise, Tippy, and Bandy have both 1.5" and 2" wide collars. Mia only has 1.5" wide collars because she is a little peanut of a thing.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC