Tuna Took A Tumble

So I left Tuna alone today for an entire 2 hours (the car needed an oil change and then ran to the library and grocery store), and what a mistake that was. I arrived home and opened the door to a horrible odor of poop and found the kitchen floor was covered in stepped-on poo, and Tuna's paws and legs also covered in poo as well as her bedding. (I keep her in the kitchen when I run out, good thing or that mess could have been all over the house). I took her outside to the back yard and once in the grass she peed and then I tried cleaning her up and she went ballistic. I had a hold on her by her harness and was attempting to get her in a position where she could lean against me while I cleaned off the poo from her legs and paws. No, she would have none of that and she snapped at me and bit my arm. She was bucking around, still snapping and got my other arm. I was astounded that she did that (she has never bitten at me before), and when I released the hold on her harness to prevent getting bit again she lost her balance and tumbled over, somersault style, landing with her face against the neighbor's adjoining rusty chain-link fence. I helped her up and then ran inside real fast for her muzzle (back yard is fenced with a gate). Ran back outside, struggled to get the muzzle on her (she crocodile-snapped at me), finally got it on and got her to lay down in the grass. I assessed the damage through the muzzle, there was a cut over her eye, another cut on her head, and scrapes here and there on her head and a bloody mouth caused by a cut to her gums over her front teeth. She also managed to cut up a rear paw somehow, so now she was poo covered and bloody. So, again I left her in the yard and ran back inside for the first aid kit. I returned in a flash and thankfully she remained laying down in the grass. I first tended to the cuts and scrapes on her head (through her muzzle), then I went about cleaning the poo off her legs and paws (no objection from her now) and then tended to her bloody paw. What the heck, Tuna! She's just having a bad day, I suppose, and did not understand I was trying to help her which is how this all started.

So at any rate, this is leading to a question: since the cuts and scrapes on her head were caused by a rusty fence, do I need to be concerned about tetanus or anything like that??

As long as she's up to date on all her shots, she should be covered. It can't hurt to call the vet to double check, but as long as it's really only scrapes and minor cuts, I wouldn't worry too much. I hope she feels better soon. We all have our bad days.

ETA: Did she get poop in her cuts? That may be a concern and I'd definitely call the vet if she did.

Edited by Sambuca

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

did a quick google search on tetanus and dogs:

Q. Our dog stepped on a rusty nail. We got it out, put hydrogen peroxide on the wound, and kept her off her foot for most of the day. Can dogs get tetanus from a nail?

A. This is a great question. Why do humans get tetanus vaccinations on a regular basis, but dogs do not?

Dogs (and cats) are very resistant to the effects of the bacterium Clostridium tetani, which causes lockjaw, or tetanus, in humans after it gets established in wounds. There are a few reports of lockjaw in dogs, but it is rare.

Guest Energy11

Probably no concern for Tetnus, but it sounds like she needs to be on antibiotics.

It isn't just Tuna, but MOST dogs and cats, when they are hurt, will bite. One basic first aid rule, in human or animal first aid, is protecting YOURSELF first. I always muzzle mine, when I have to treat.

Sounds like you just wanted to help her asap. You did a good job, by the sounds of it, and yes, ALWAYS MUZZLE, not just Tuna, but for the others... ALL of your animals, if they are hurt and you need to treat.

I'd definitely at least CALL the vet, explain, and see if he/she thinks a visit is in order, or, at least some antibiotics

NUFF excitement for today!!! Sending many hugs and prayers to you and Tuna !

I would call and ask the vet for antibiotics. Better safe than sorry.

Cleaning with peroxide is great, but don't continue to use it.

Hope she feels better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I never said I cleaned with peroxide, I do not use it. I clean cuts and scrapes with a topical antiseptic, dry it, then apply a first aid antibiotic ointment and then bandage.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice.

Guest Energy11

I never said I cleaned with peroxide, I do not use it. I clean cuts and scrapes with a topical antiseptic, dry it, then apply a first aid antibiotic ointment and then bandage.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice.

You handled this wonderfully! Now, relax and stop worrying, ok :-))

You need a hug!, and so does your girl!

Tetanus is anaerobic, so it's a concern in puncture wounds, not so much in open wounds / cuts. As someone else noted, dogs are much more resistant than people altho they can get it.

Hugs to your sweet Tuna-girl and yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeah, I could use a hug! Another negative of living alone haha. Now if I could only get the poo smell out of the kitchen, yuck. It took three cleanings to get it all off the floor, she really ground it in there well. Windows open, fan running, bedding in the laundry, poo trash outside in the garbage but it still smells pooey in the house.

Guest TeddysMom

If Tuna's bites broke the skin on your arm, you might want to take some antibiotics also. Hope you and Tuna are fine and will both heal quickly.

Guest isntitgreyt

Hope you and Tuna are feeling better as the day goes by. I got bit once by my first GH Janey when she cut her leg on a fence post. I tried to clean it but she was in pain and got scared. Taught me a lesson about putting the muzzle on!!!

Guest DoofBert

My Tania had an accident last week... and, while Dh and I were trying to help her we both got bit.

Hugs to you both... and be sure to watch carefully for any signs of infection......when Tania was a puppy, she scrraped her face on the ex pen.... within 24 hours, the injury sight ws swollen. We took her to vet where the wound was cleaned and we were given anitbiotics.

Just checking in to see how you and Tuna are doing this morning. I hope you both had a good night and neither of you is any worst for wear today.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Rusty objects don't actually cause tetanus anymore than other stuff--it's mostly the puncture wound that's the problem, which she doesn't have.

My vet said antibiotics aren't necessary for a mild dog bite, unless you seen any signs of infection including swelling in the nearby lymph nodes.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Tuna is doing fine today. This morning I removed the bandage that was covering the cuts on her paw, but it's still angry looking and bloody so I cleaned it up again, put some more ointment on and re-bandaged it. The cuts and scrapes on her head look like they are going to heal just fine. I did go to one of my volunteer jobs this morning and left her for 4 hours, she had one little accident when I arrived home but she did not step in it this time thank goodness!

Guest Energy11

Glad to hear Tuna is ok today. Sorry to hear about your bruises.

Hopefully EVERYTHING will looking up for you soon! grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif (*sending virtual hugs)!