Screams And Growls When You Touch His Feet

Be careful before labelling a dog a drama queen, because if you're wrong and they are truly scared, you'll set yourselves back months by the 'muzzle and go' approach - that's if you want to earn their trust. ;)

Good point. I assume Kristin has enough experience to sense the difference :) .

Our late whippet spent most of his early years being a terror at nail trims. The only person who would agree to do them was his breeder. When I moved up here, I spent @ 3 weeks with 1-2 sessions every day getting him used to the idea of having his nails done ...... In his case I dunno that overpowering him would've made him any worse, but a genuinely frightened dog it could.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest iconsmum

Peanutbutter muzzle and go. If he's screaming about it, he's probably not that frightened. The ones I worry about more are the quiet ones who freeze and get "the look".

:nod IMO, the silent ones with "the look" are more likely to bite you. The screamers are more drama queens.

The only way we can do Clancy's nails is to have him lick PB from the jar while I'm doing them. (We have a jar labeled for the dogs lol.gif).

OH! I never thought of labelling the jar!! rofl

The only way we can do Clancy's nails is to have him lick PB from the jar while I'm doing them. (We have a jar labeled for the dogs ).
One of my friends thinks you're not a real dog person unless you're willing to share the peanut butter knife with your dogs. :rolleyes:

Two of my five greys had problems with getting their nails trimmed. Eve was a super-confident dog, but at first if anyone even thought about touching her legs, she would buck and give the GSOD (Greyhound Scream of Death). After months of trying to desensitize and calm her, I finally gave her a few firm but gentle neck scruffs (gathering loose skin at the nape of the neck in one hand and giving a non-damaging shake) with my own VOG (Voice of God), and from then on she consented with just an occasional leg jerk.

Scout had much more of a panicked, fearful reaction. I had learned from baths that he froze still when placed in a bathtub, so I tried trimming his nails in the tub. Success! I always muzzled him just-in-case.

No dogs were harmed in the trimming of their nails, and copious treats were and are awarded.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest TheDoggfather

You know what you might want to try that I haven't seen suggested is something we'd do in the race kennel. There are several dogs who absolutely WILL not allow you to trim their nails in a normal fashion. Somehow, we figured out that if one person literally picks up and holds the dog, the second person can trim the nails with no problems. Never had to muzzle, dremel, or peanut butter any of them.

Some of you have followed the Muddpuppies... well, Georgia is one of those we had to do this with. Works like a charm... everytime smile.gif

Edited by TheDoggfather

Guest LindsaySF

Chris, we've had to lift up a few dogs when we did nail trimming at our annual picnic. Some dogs freak out and flail, but most of them freeze in place and it does work. It's hell on the back though. :lol

Guest jenznaz

It may be a case of you being "buffaloed" into not clipping. I help out at our kennels with dremmeling nails and you wouldnt believe the number of people that are astonished that their hounds dont make a bit of noise or fight when we dremmel the nails. Sometimes it may be that your hound knows it can get away with it with you.

:nod :nod :nod