Entering And Exiting Car

Guest dee

We adopted Micah on January 30 of this year. He's a beautiful, shy blue fawn two and one half year old. We are definitely making progress with the shy/skittishness. Lots of treats, hugs, massages and just living with our two other dogs (standard poodle and standard labradoodle) seems to be gradually relaxing him. We need help teaching him to get in and out of our SUV. I've tried EVERYTHING and he still freaks. Once I get him into the car he's find....not stressed at all...no panting or anything like that. He just looks out the window and then goes to sleep. He doesn't jump onto our bed or couches either....not a bad thing since the other two dogs take up all the space! Has anyone out there had a similar issue?

We've got 3 that refuse to jump into the car. They're not afraid, they just refuse so Mike puts their front paws on the back of the SUV (with the back open) and lifts their big hineys into the car.:rolleyes: Have you tried putting a treat just inside the door and see if he goes for it. Sometimes you can get them in that way. You can also show them a treat, toss it in and hope they go for it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Stripeyfan

Two words. Cooked. Chicken. Kelly used to refuse to get in the car so I sat on the back seat and held the chicken out to him over the headrest. Now he can't get in fast enough - he jumps in of his own accord, then gets a treat as a reward. Good luck!

Guest UESBrindle

Mike puts their front paws on the back of the SUV (with the back open) and lifts their big hineys into the car.rolleyes.gif

This is what we do too. front feet on the floor of the car, then lift up the back legs up together from the feet.

Although, I'm thinking of making Batmom's steps to have in the back of the car so I don't have to do the lifting...

Twice now William has surprised us and gotten in on his own, but this is not usually the case rolleyes.gif

Good luck!

Oh boy, this is an issue with Molly too! We laugh that our amazingly athletic greyhound needs to be picked up to get in the car.

Though we had success this weekend with two things.

1. I pushed the front seat way up so she could hop up onto the floor, not the seat
  2. I used her new squeaky toy that she picked out from the pet store to lure her (I'll try chicken next time!)

And she hopped right in, then crawled up onto the seat. It's also easier for her if we park near a curb, so if I can do that, I will to make it easier for her until she gets it down pat.

ETA --- Molly rides in the back seat, not the very back of the SUV. Though we think it might be easier for her to jump in the back. We wonder if the enclosed feeling with the side door there spooks her a bit.

Edited by arandomchic

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest littermates

Oh boy, this is an issue with Molly too! We laugh that our amazingly athletic greyhound needs to be picked up to get in the car.

Though we had success this weekend with two things.

1. I pushed the front seat way up so she could hop up onto the floor, not the seat
  2. I used her new squeaky toy that she picked out from the pet store to lure her (I'll try chicken next time!)

And she hopped right in, then crawled up onto the seat. It's also easier for her if we park near a curb, so if I can do that, I will to make it easier for her until she gets it down pat.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One question, what is a "standard labradoodle", is there such a thing as a non-standard labradoodle? Anyhow, what works for me with nearly all the fosters that come through my house is:

1) open door or hatch of vehicle

2) take the hound about 10 feet away from the opening

3) walk with the hound at a rapid pace towards the vehicle

4) as soon as you get close to the vehicle, command "up, or in, or kennel" while inflecting your voice upward so that the sound encourages a jump

5) treat like crazy if this works

if not:

1) again, open the vehicle, but this time, stand at the opening with the hound, place VERY yummy treat in front of hounds nose, allow him to smell, then toss the treat into the vehicle

2) repeat steps 2-5 above

if still nothing:

1) have someone that the hound is comfortable with in the back of the vehicle

2) repeat steps 2-5 above with the person in the vehicle encouraging your hound to come

the key to this working is you must remain calm and not loose your cool. Also, if you need to move to food to motivate your hound, then give treats that you never give your hound otherwise, such as hot dogs or something like that. In your case with other hounds, you can leash them all together and have them jump in as a group. Your greyhound should learn/follow your other hounds when they jump into the vehicle. If not, dont have your hounds in the vehicle while you are trying to train as it may cause your hound to balk at jumping into the vehicle if the space looks too small for him to jump.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest littermates

No problem here. I own a Vibe & just flip the hatch & they've jumped in from day one.

Except today I went to the Vet to pick up some Missing Link & I flipped it open & Jake jumped out but Spirit stood ay the open hatch, looked around & laid down. No way was he getting out at the Vet's. That's the first time I've ever seen him not get out. I laughed my head off.

Marianne

Jake & Spirit

If Micah is like most greyhounds (i.e. lived in a kennel at a track), he might be pulling the wool over your eyes! LOL If his living situation involved double stacked crates, then being a male, he was probably an upper crate dog. That jump is higher than getting in the back of an SUV. A friend of mine who volunteered many years at the adoption kennel recommends this: when the dog balks at getting into the car, take the leash and walk him in a circle so he comes back to the car, and say kennel up, or something like that in a happy, voice. That works most of the time when any of mine put on the brakes. I have a new female who won't jump on the bed either, but will sail into the back of my SUV with no problems. Silly girl. Good luck with the hints people have posted. He'll get it sooner or later -- maybe! :lol

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby