Now Flex Is Vomiting Blood

Flex my Ig..had a stomach issue last week..gave him too much pepcid (20mg)..he gets 10mg once a day or 5 mg twice a day. ( I gave him the dosage for my big greys). later in the day he had a seizure..all bloods normal. when taking his temp. vet saw blood on stool. gave him flagyl for 5 days. That was thursday. He seemed ok..until yesterday when his stomach started rumbling again and he wouldn't eat....just trying to eat grass. I gave him 5mg of pepcid and skipped his flagyl. gave him small amount of boiled hamburger for dinner..which he threw up shortly after eating. looked like it wasn't even digested..looked like a snake. I gave him nothing else. in the middle of the night.. I couldn't sleep..he vomited mucous and blood two times. He has many health issues..and has had bouts of IBD in the past..never with vomiting blood though. I don't know if i should give him pepcid now or wait until i speak with vet..I am calling in sick to work...i am sure i will have to bring him in..i am worried. any suggestions regarding pepcid would be helpful. thank you

Guest barkdogs

Probably good to wait until you talk to the vet. Just make sure he has access to plenty of water. Good luck! I have an iggy too.

Probably good to wait until you talk to the vet. Just make sure he has access to plenty of water. Good luck! I have an iggy too.

Thanks..that is what I am doing..he won't even get up of the bed though...he has so many problems this little guy. breaks my heart

Guest Swifthounds

I would fast him for 8-12 hours (with the greys I do 12 routinely, but not always with the IGs), give Slippery Elm Bark 1 hour before the meal and feed something easily digestible. I usually feed a small amount, wait an hour and feed a bit more. I would skip the Pepcid, Flagyl, etc. The Pepcid only temporarily lowers the stomach acid (which in a dog really can impair digestion because they have no digestive juices int heir mouths or saliva the way that people do) and then the body replenishes it. The Slippery Elm will put mucilage into the GI tract, calming down the irritation.

:grouphug for your little guy..

I would fast him for 8-12 hours (with the greys I do 12 routinely, but not always with the IGs), give Slippery Elm Bark 1 hour before the meal and feed something easily digestible. I usually feed a small amount, wait an hour and feed a bit more. I would skip the Pepcid, Flagyl, etc. The Pepcid only temporarily lowers the stomach acid (which in a dog really can impair digestion because they have no digestive juices int heir mouths or saliva the way that people do) and then the body replenishes it. The Slippery Elm will put mucilage into the GI tract, calming down the irritation.

Thank you.can you please tell me how much slippery elm bark for a 14lb. dog? i have the powder. he appears to be in some sort of pain.. thanks

Guest greygirls2

Hold off on the Pepcid....that can cause some bleeding as we found out with my girl Diamond. Now whenever she hasd a GI upset we go straight to the Flagyl....metronidizole....and that usually clears things up.

Guest Energy11

I'm sorry the little guy is sick!

I would hold off on everything until you see the vet.

Good luck, and sending lots of prayers!

I took Flex in this morning..before I went to the doctor with bronchitis!

She said to stop the flagyl and pepcid. She gave me carafate to use when he starts with the gurgly, grass eating episodes. I meant to ask her about the slippery elm bark. seems like carafate works in the same way, by coating the stomach. She said to give it to him tonight about one hour before he eats and feed him lightly. He vomited dinner last nite (5 Pm) and nothing this aM due to the vomiting.

I think all of his problems are related to his auto-immune disorder...maybe a wholistic vet should be my next stop. I love my vet..but just thinking of all options to help him. My female grey..with her UTIs...too...thinking of seeing wholistic for her.

Guest ss556

Sorry to hear about Flex, Donna. I used the Holistic Vet at Westbury, Dr. Donato. She was pretty good - she did acupuncture for Alan but she also prescribes Chinese medicines, etc.

Sorry to hear about Flex, Donna. I used the Holistic Vet at Westbury, Dr. Donato. She was pretty good - she did acupuncture for Alan but she also prescribes Chinese medicines, etc.

Thank you Susan..I assume she was pricey? I have been spending so much $ on my dogs....

Guest barkdogs

Thank you.can you please tell me how much slippery elm bark for a 14lb. dog? i have the powder. he appears to be in some sort of pain.. thanks

Actually, dogs do have digestive juices (enzymes) in their saliva-they are not exactly the same as humans but they are most definitely there. Saliva acts not only to moisten food and to lube it as it passes the esophagus, it also starts to work on breaking down components in the food.

Guest Swifthounds

The baseline dosage is 1/2 capsule or 1/4 teaspoon per 10# of body weight, 2-3 times per day. I've had great luck with it, especially with the little ones.

Thank you Susan..I assume she was pricey? I have been spending so much $ on my dogs....

Yes, she is pricey but extremely thorough. EXTREMELY. She won't touch him until you have a gizillion tests done at A&A that you may have already had so that would be greyt. And she will not do it the first visit. it's a consult. But there is another holistic vet in Long Beach who is very, very good, just a little more lax about all the tests before treatment. I've used both. He will treat the 1st visit.

Let me know if you want his name.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yes, she is pricey but extremely thorough. EXTREMELY. She won't touch him until you have a gizillion tests done at A&A that you may have already had so that would be greyt. And she will not do it the first visit. it's a consult. But there is another holistic vet in Long Beach who is very, very good, just a little more lax about all the tests before treatment. I've used both. He will treat the 1st visit.

Let me know if you want his name.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project