More Prey Driven In The Dark?

Guest jharr

Guest jharr

I don't usually walk Boris in the dark, but things got late last night and we had to go out in the dark. Well, we are in the city/burbs so it's not really dark, but the street lights are the only light. Now normally we walk from one end of the complex to the other where there is a colony of rabbits and Boris likes to pull me or my son along while he pretends to hunt the bunnies! :P He watches them dash into the underbrush and then goes sniffing and growling around the edge. Of course they are long gone, but we congratulate him on almost getting the bunny and tell him we are sure that next time he will get one. That seems to be enough for him and we finish our walk in relative calm. Last night we had to walk to the library which includes a walk across a wide open grassy patch at a local park. Like I said it was dark aside from the lights around the park. Well Boris spotted a rabbit sitting out in the middle of the grass and he pulled harder than I have ever felt him pull and then started barking! He never barks! Even after the rabbit ran away, he pulled over to where it was and started tracking it! We got to the library and there were no rabbits on the way back, but there was a cat across the street and he started pulling and barking again! I have never seen him so "driven" and was wondering if it was because we were in the dark and there were fewer distractions, or maybe it was the unfamiliar surroundings. Any thoughts?

WITH THEIR KEEN EYE SIGHT, FANTASTIC AUDIOTORY SENSE, NATURAL PREY DRIVE GREYHOUNDS ARE MUCH MORE INTUNE TO NIGHT CRITTERS THAN WE ARE. BE AWARE OF EVERYTHING. REMEMBER SKUNKS AND RACOONS ARE NOCTURAL :eek

IT SOUNDS LIKE BORIS IS PRETTY NORMAL, REACTING TO THE WIND AS WELL AS ANYTHING THAT MOVES. HANG ON WHEN YOU WALK!

Oh, yes! Greyhounds - and other dogs too - are keener from dusk onwards. They aren't so hot when it's totally dark, but by nature they are crepuscular creatures, which means they hunt in twilight - dusk and dawn. The only time Renie would yank on the lead was at dusk if a cat ran across the road in front of us. And it was the only time we'd ever fail to get Jim back when we called him. If we were in the field and the bunnies came out at dusk, he'd run himself silly chasing them.

Their vision works best in low light conditions - it's what they're adapted for! :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop