Puking - Just Started!

Guest Maddyr24

Guest Maddyr24

About 3am this mornig, I heard Sagan gag and sure enough, he yacked. At first, I just though it was bile from me not giving him a cookie before he went to sleep. I gave him a cookie and went back to bed. This morning, he puked again - even though I did not feed him breakfast. I tried to give him a cookie - and he yacked that up. About 2pm, because I knew he was hungry, I made him a baked sweet potato and gave him some baby food - he ate it...but puked it up again a few hours later.

His stool was solid and he has not had any of the big D.

The puke was just his food and nothing unusual (i.e. blood, etc).

Any suggestions?

I would fast him for 24 hrs, if it continues after that maybe off to the vet? I'm sure someone who actually knows something will chime in. Luckily I've never delt with throw up. I'm almost an expert with D though. :) I hope his belly feels better

------

Jessica

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear this!

Second "Puker" I heard about today!

I think it is some virus going around. I, personally do NOT fast. My theory on this is, too much excess stomach acid can build up, causing further problems, but it does work for some.

For MINE, I'd give a 20 mg Pepcid AC and maybe a Gas X, and some PLAIN unflavored Yogurt... not much, and that is it for today, and go from there. If he holds that down, then BLAND DIET for at least 24 hours, which is boiled chicken and white rice, and plain yogurt. ... OR, you can get Science Diet ID or Purina EN from your vet. I keep the EN here all the time for stomach issues.

Sending lots of hugs! Upset stomach are NOT fun! mad.gif

Is he keeping water down? If he's not keeping anything down I'd worry about dehydration. You might try a little Gatorade just to keep the electrolytes in balance and like Dee said, maybe some pepcid to settle the stomach. If he continues to throw up everything, I'd see a vet. You don't want him to get dehydrated.

Another thing you can give him is pedialite.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Maddyr24

Is he keeping water down? If he's not keeping anything down I'd worry about dehydration. You might try a little Gatorade just to keep the electrolytes in balance and like Dee said, maybe some pepcid to settle the stomach. If he continues to throw up everything, I'd see a vet. You don't want him to get dehydrated.

Thanks - he def drank some water today - we had a greyhound meetup and he was drinking some them. He has been sleeping most of the day but I put a huge thing of ice for when he gets up (its his favorite thing). I actually put a little baby food in his water and he drank a lot of it up.

Guest Energy11

Thanks - he def drank some water today - we had a greyhound meetup and he was drinking some them. He has been sleeping most of the day but I put a huge thing of ice for when he gets up (its his favorite thing). I actually put a little baby food in his water and he drank a lot of it up.

GREAT on keeping down the water! You can do the Gatorade or Pediylte 50/50 in the water to keep him hydrated. There IS a lot going around, so I'd play it by ear ... good luck!

Guest Maddyr24

For an update:

Sagan seemed to hold all water down yesterday which was good. I did wake up to find a few more spots of vomit- dark mucus which seems to be bile from not eating. We went out for a walk and he had a lot of energy (yay!).

I gave him some white rice with some lamb baby food - it seems to be staying down (now its two hours later). Yesterday, he vomitted up the sweet potato within two hours - so I am thinking these are signs of improvement.

His nose is normal - cool and a little wet.

Stool seems relatively formed considering lack of food but a little mucus was found on that too.

I have neighbors checking in on him and his dog walker coming later. If improvement continues - whew - 24 hour stomach bug. If not, off to the vet tomorrow!

Guest Maddyr24

I'm pleased to inform you all - Sagan seems to be recovered. His energy level is way up and his food has stayed down all day! WHEW!